Wiring electric seats in base mustang (05-09)

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently had to setup custom wiring to get an electric driver seat working in my 06 base mustang. Figured I'd put together an easy writeup for anyone looking to do the job.

Tools:
8mm socket
10mm socket
13mm
15mm
Wire Strippers
Pliers (optional, but help a lot)
Electrical Tape
Flathead screwdriver
A small knife
Zip Ties
3/8's Rings connectors (2)
10 Gauge wire (12ft)
30 Amp inline Fuse
C Clips

Step 1- Disconnect negative side of battery
Step 2-Open Fused box and use the 10mm socket to unscrew the bolt closest to the windshield.
Step 3-Take the 10 gauge wire and connect it to the 3/8's ring connector, then put this connector on the 10mm bolt and screw it back in.
Step 4- Run the 10 gauge wire from the fuse box, to the back of the engine bay where the engine wiring harness is held, ziptie the 10 gauge wire to the engine wiring harness and run it over to the ac.
Step 5-Next to/belw the brake fluid reservoir there is a 3x4 hole where an existing wiring harness leads down to the firewall, feed your wire down this hole and push plenty of excess down. This makes Step 6 much easier.
Step 6-Get in front of the drivers seat and locate the rubber grommet with a wiring harness coming through. It should be left of the brake pedal. Take your pliers and grab a thick edge of this grommet. Slowly but carefully pull the grommet out. You should see your 10 gauge wire bundled up in this area behind the grommet. If not, move the wire around some more from up top, try sticking your phone or flashlight into this hole and guide the wire to the light.
Step 7-make a small x hole in the grommet and pull your 10 gauge wire through, pull the carpet next to the trunk release out. Next remove the foot piece that says "MUSTANG" on it, simply pull up on it. Release the carpet tabs underneath.
Step 8-Remove your old seat, or make sure the new electric seat is unbolted to give you working room below.
Step 9-Feed the wire under the carpet along the existing harness and through the hole with the stock 2 seat harness'
Step 10-Take about 10 inches of 10 gauge wire with a ring connector and put it on the bolt for the seat. Either of the back bolts that stick up will work.
Step 11-Locate the gray seat wiring plug, find the thick dark green wire(outside of harness) and thick black wire(also on outside edge of harness). Strip away and expose some of these wires.
Step 12-Next take your ground wire from the seat bolt, and your thick black wire from the seat harness and splice them together. You can use the clips, solder, or just wrap the exposed wire and tape it.
Step 13-Take your 30 amp inline fuse and splice that with the thick dark green seat wire and the 10 gauge wire from the engine bay. This inline fuse should be connecting the two wires.
Step 14-Reattach the negative wire to the battery and go test your setup, you might need to push the ground wire to be completely seated with the car frame.
Step 15-Put it all back together, enjoy your electric seats

There are other ways to power the seats, I just wanted a surefire and guaranteed way to make them work. The whole job took me an hour the first time I wired with 14 gauge wire and 15 amp inline fuse(didn't work for more than an hour, fuse blew, had to rewire with 10 gauge and 30 amp inline) and an hour the second. Feel free to comment other ways of wiring the setup, there are many

Attachments

• IMG_2045.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2049.JPG
    IMG_2049.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2050.JPG
    IMG_2050.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2051.JPG
    IMG_2051.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2053.JPG
    IMG_2053.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2055.JPG
    IMG_2055.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back