Cost of a new full re-paint of the car, same colors.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
don't see why they would have to take the whole car apart though.

if you don't remove the parts and just mask up the trim. the paint will be pealing off everywhere you mask in a couple of years. i am sure you have seen lots of cars where that has happened.

removing trim and just masking it off is the biggest reason for price difference.

also just masking off the trim it will be mush easier to damage it when you are working on the car.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
it depends on how you want it done.
if you want it done with cheap materials and so so workmanship you can get a car painted for less than 1K.
i can do a quick complete paint job in 3 days. may not be perfect but it's a paint job.
if you want it done properly, it looks better than when you bought the car new and will last that costs a LOT more.
quality base coat can cost over $3000 a GALLON. i have painted some reds with a lot of pearl in the base coat can cost $1000 a QUART.
quality clear coat costs close to $1000 a gallon.
quality primers and sealers are $500 gallon.
now the time to do the job. quality paint jobs will take about 2 WEEKS to do, about 80 - 100 hours, and that's not blocking out the car that good. you want it smooth as glass and straight as a arrow figure on tippling the time quoted. at our labor rate of $58 hour it adds up FAST.

if you don't remove the parts and just mask up the trim. the paint will be pealing off everywhere you mask in a couple of years. i am sure you have seen lots of cars where that has happened.

removing trim and just masking it off is the biggest reason for price difference.

also just masking off the trim it will be mush easier to damage it when you are working on the car.

Damn, I see where the price comes from now, HOW THE FUCK is anything $3,000 a gallon? definitely would have to pass that on to the customer but holy shit, that's not price gouging on the manufacturers part?. Are these rare chemicals from space!? lol
Yea I see your point about masking, it would leave like a ridge between the old and new paint right? just trying to wrap my mind around it. I wanted to get my whole car repainted in a few years.

Edit: googling stuff, you can get clearcoat for $139 a gallon and dupont auto paint for like $120 a gallon... so PPG is like 12 times the price of all the other paints/clears?

Last edited:

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
yes some of the paint prices are $$$. but the cost of paint isn't the only thing factored into the prices.
these are SOME of the things that go into the cost of paint.
you have to figure providing warranty for your product.
also you have to add cost of advertising into your products. PPG sponsors a LOT of people both on a national level but local sponsorship levels also.
then you have to add into cost of training and support for their products. a big cost is variance chips for the slight differences in factory colors. in our variance deck there are 15,000 different color chips that are painted by hand to help get a proper match, every PPG certified shop across the US has a deck.
they also have a program on colors we can't get a good match tinting by ourselves, we cut out a piece of the panel and sent it to a regional office. they will tint the formula to get a very close match then send it back to us no charge, this is how they make the variance deck.
also when we built our new body shop PPG helped pay for the downdraft spray booths and some of the equipment in it.
then you have to factor plant costs they had to build to make the paint.
people to work in the plants and support staff.
places to store the paint after it's made.
then shipping it across the states.
then making new types of paint, and testing then, to meet environmental concerns.

Last edited:

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
fdjizm;2357059 Edit: googling stuff said:
PPG makes a LOT of different clears for many different applications. in my tech sheets book i got at my last training class think there are about 25 different clears designed for production auto body uses. and that's just the ones that are VOC compliant in my area.

they make a cheap clear that's less than $100 a gallon. i actually use this a LOT on older cars.

they also make a fast clear that air drys in 20min and i can buff it.

in training classes i have used a UV cure clear coat. spray it out, let it flash, hit it with a special lamp, 10 min later it's fully cured.

they have a nano technology clear coat. it's fast, flows out almost like glass and is extremely durable. it's extremely expensive and mostly used on high end exotic cars.

they also have pre flattened clears for the low gloss areas that are getting common in todays market.

they are also experimenting with water based clear coat. to complete the water based line up. they make a direct to metal water based primer. they have a water based sealer. and several different types of water based color coats.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Well, I know what I am doing with all my scorpion venom now...

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
I had my 05 repainted in 2014 after I was side swiped by a tractor trailer. Wiped out the front bumper but otherwise left the rest of the car untouched. All told in so. cal I was out the door at $4 grand. That is with removing the bumpers, trim, glass, lights etc. Mine is mineral grey as well so it has a flake to it which makes it a little harder to paint. $10,000 seems a bit steep but not obsurd. Mine has a lifetime warranty on materials and work too. The place I went to does a lot of insurance work as well as county and state vehicles like PD, FD, city vehicles etc. .

Last edited:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unless it is a show car, you really don't want to touch the high end paint products. The $3000/gallon clear isn't going to survive a flung open door from the person that parked beside you any better than the $300/gallon stuff. Good luck with your insurance company paying out that kind of dough for materials to fix a parking lot dent.

We love our cars but sometimes you have to be realistic, these are relatively low cost high volume production cars. With decent materials and doing a lot of the disassembly yourself, you can get the price down a fair bit. If you want the best of the best, it will cost big money and unless you're rich, it will not be worth the anxiety to drive it in traffic or park it just about anywhere other than your own garage.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Unless it is a show car, you really don't want to touch the high end paint products. The $3000/gallon clear isn't going to survive a flung open door from the person that parked beside you any better than the $300/gallon stuff. Good luck with your insurance company paying out that kind of dough for materials to fix a parking lot dent.

We love our cars but sometimes you have to be realistic, these are relatively low cost high volume production cars. With decent materials and doing a lot of the disassembly yourself, you can get get the price down a fair bit. If you want the best of the best, it will cost big money and unless you're rich, it will not be worth the anxiety to drive it in traffic or park it just about anywhere other than your own garage.
So basically only Darren can benefit from a high end paint job then? :yaoface:
But yes I agree, when I repaint my car it's not going to be show quality and it won't keep me up at night.
Definitely will not do a 5k+ paint job.

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
There really is no need to. Like I said mine was around $4k ($3878 to be exact) and it is and was better then the factory paint in every way. There are no visible flaws or blemishes in the paint and the reassembly was good too. No rattles or squeaks that weren't already there before

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
I gotta guy up in Northern VA who does great work, it isn't showroom perfect since its outta his garage, but he has decades of experience and gurantee's his work. I've seen him paint classic cars, movie prop cars, do body work, etc. Guys incredible. Charged me $200 flat to do my GT/CS bumper and the results are great.

He could get a stang done for under 3k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Might take an autobody class at the local tech school over winter lol

What you also have to take into consideration is the time you need to spend applying paint before you tackle doing your own (or somebody else's) car. Even if you go to a farm store and get cheap tractor paint, you can spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars in paint materials (depending on how quickly you learn) to get the feel down. Plus when you go to urethane or more high end paints, they are different in viscosity and all that practice with acrylic enamel doesn't help as much as you would think.

Also, different paints require a different tip in the gun or even a different type gun to start with. Bottom line is, a guy who can lay down a slick paint job has a LOT of time in the booth and it normally costs some $$ to get that.

I am not saying you can't do a fantastic job yourself, however it does normally take many hours and many gallons of material to get it down. This isn't even taking into consideration making subtle changes on the fly to account for air temp, humidity, etc when spraying in your home garage or shop. Pro shops have controlled booths that maintain pretty ideal atmospheric conditions for the paint process.

Also, it may not even be legal where you are to do this in your garage unless you are using a very low VOC paint, and it still might be against the law. And even then you have to be concerned with any mist getting out and on your neighbor's car.

Oh, and lots of folks have a furnace or water heater in the garage. TURN OFF THE *BLEEPING* THING. A garage full of paint mist will explode if it contacts an open flame or high heat source.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back