550 hp @ 22 psi wtf? On e85

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I would go on another dyno before you pull heads.. Maybe the dude had fat fingers and keyed in a heavier weight for the car...

46addict

Reaction score
Why do you ask? It's negligible just like the calculator showed. When building a motor you never know exactly what you will get, especially when the block is decked. Hence the measurement just to make sure.

I was just wondering what .004" translates to in compression change. I was also making sure I wasn't fudging up the numbers in the calculator.

I understand now the point of measuring is to double check the work though.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Well I did a compression test to compare both sides of the engine. Passanger 140 drivers side 135 so they are similar at least. Thinking about taking a valve cover off to measure the cam make sure it's a stock cam

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Well I did a compression test to compare both sides of the engine. Passanger 140 drivers side 135 so they are similar at least. Thinking about taking a valve cover off to measure the cam make sure it's a stock cam

Any1 with e85 and 1000cc injectors, how much MPG were you getting at cruise?

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Any1 with e85 and 1000cc injectors, how much MPG were you getting at cruise?

I know you said 1000cc, but here's another datapoint; on ID1300 and corn I'm seeing 16mpg highway, 10mpg mixed, and 6mpg having fun around town.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
168# here, maybe 12 highway and 10 overall, on the current tune, previous tune seemed to be a bit higher, maybe 14 highway

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Okay I'm seeing 11.5 mpg with bosch 1000cc's and the e85 thats cruising in 6th gear.. so you all seem to be higher in that department as well, which I believe also points to lower compression correct? Higher compression = better mpg to my understanding?

Also the guy at the shop who assembled the engine is looking for the numbers he wrote down but they said they always check piston to deck dimensions and that they wouldn't let something go that was way out of wack. Oye

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Okay I'm seeing 11.5 mpg with bosch 1000cc's and the e85 thats cruising in 6th gear.. so you all seem to be higher in that department as well, which I believe also points to lower compression correct? Higher compression = better mpg to my understanding?

Also the guy at the shop who assembled the engine is looking for the numbers he wrote down but they said they always check piston to deck dimensions and that they wouldn't let something go that was way out of wack. Oye

I wonder what he thinks way out of whack is? A 5.4 sits about -.120 in the hole more than a 4.6. One would appear way out of whack unless he really knew mod motors. Then again, if he thought a 5.4 was normal then a 4.6 sitting deep in the hole wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

If he measured them he would of wrote the numbers down and given them to you with the build imo.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score

That's WAY low. My 9.25:1 motor was 180-185.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
So when I pull this head off and I indeed have like 7 or maybe even lower compression.. whats my game plan? Do I have MMR replace with the correct parts and rebuild, do I slap on some crazy big supercharger instead? Do I just part the car out and say fuck it? LOL or do I just keep it as is.

Ah man

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
So when I pull this head off and I indeed have like 7 or maybe even lower compression.. whats my game plan? Do I have MMR replace with the correct parts and rebuild, do I slap on some crazy big supercharger instead? Do I just part the car out and say fuck it? LOL or do I just keep it as is.

Ah man

Put correct pistons in and run it.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to pull the engine myself this time, do the teardown myself. . Then at least I can really clean up the engine bay and paint the engine block this time. Plus it'll save me a lot of money.

I wonder what the chances of me not having to do any work to the block is. I've got 5k miles on the new engine. Ugh all I see is $$$$$$ LOL

Who's taking bets MMR refuses to replace the wrong parts? Or that if I mail the parts to them they don't end up sending me the replacements? lol fml

Last edited:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to pull the engine myself this time, do the teardown myself. . Then at least I can really clean up the engine bay and paint the engine block this time. Plus it'll save me a lot of money.

I wonder what the chances of me not having to do any work to the block is. I've got 5k miles on the new engine. Ugh all I see is $$$$$$ LOL

You'll at least have to have it balanced with new pistons.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Well I stuck a bore scope in there and I feel pretty confident I have the -18 instead of -11 cc pistons. Which we always figured was the case. But maybe between that, the 4.75 stroke and possibly thicker than stock head gasket I'm way less comp than I should be. I don't really want to spend anymore money on this for now at this point so going to call mmr and give them a hard time, see what they can do

**Hey serious question lol, what about nitrous? Used nitrous kit would cost me WAY less in time/money than tearing down/rebuild for now.. prob still crack into 700 rwhp on a 150 shot and wouldn't the lower compression mean I have more room to run it anyway?

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
**Hey serious question lol, what about nitrous? Used nitrous kit would cost me WAY less in time/money than tearing down/rebuild for now.. prob still crack into 700 rwhp on a 150 shot and wouldn't the lower compression mean I have more room to run it anyway?

You've got all winter. Get it set up at 9.25-9.8:1 and let that monster eat!!!!

46addict

Reaction score
Well I stuck a bore scope in there and I feel pretty confident I have the -18 instead of -11 cc pistons. Which we always figured was the case. But maybe between that, the 4.75 stroke and possibly thicker than stock head gasket I'm way less comp than I should be. I don't really want to spend anymore money on this for now at this point so going to call mmr and give them a hard time, see what they can do

I would give MMR hell first to at least try to get your money's worth. And nitrous as plan B. Hell even with the -11cc pistons you could get it re-tuned for nitrous and have it as backup. :rockit:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
MMR will say you should have asked for a remedy before the engine went together. They will do zip for you.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Same. MMR will ignore any liability of them sending the wrong parts and leave it up to you

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back