GT500 plug reading? Bad o2 sensor?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
My 14 GT500 has a slight hesitation/misfire. Pulled the plugs today and found Bank 2 to be completely fouled. Bank 1 looks great. Does this look like the o2 sensor is stuck lean on bank 2? Also did a log on my SCT and Bank 2 was pegged lean and did not move, while bank 1 fluctuated around normal.

Attachments

• IMG_4966.JPG
    IMG_4966.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4967.JPG
    IMG_4967.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4970.JPG
    IMG_4970.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4969.JPG
    IMG_4969.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4971.JPG
    IMG_4971.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 18

G.T

Reaction score
your cats are plugged up on one side.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Jumping in full tilt, regardless of CEL's I'd first check for any obvious exhaust leak between the exhaust manifold up to the O2 sensor on bank two. Exhaust leaks small or large will effect the O2 sensor reading which will give a false lean indication when in fact the A/F Ratio in the combustion chamber is fine otherwise. This causes the PCM to add pulsewidth to the injectors introducing more fuel into the cylinder. If the O2 sensor has failed and is putting out little to no voltage, again the PCM thinks the sensor is seeing a lean condition and increases fuel (pulsewidth on the FI) when in fact the ratio was fine to begin with.

The rear O2 sensor should detect a failure or clog in the Cat IF IT HAS NOT BEEN TURNED OFF IN A TUNE. Visual inspection of the Cat would indicate a possible clog, as bank 2 which is on the driver's side would show signs of extreme heat up near the entry of the cat. Plus chances are you would feel warmer than usual temps near your foot when driving. While there is the H-pipe in the system it may also still be possible to feel heavier exhaust flow on the passenger side rear than the drivers side rear...maybe. The eyeball inspection of the cat and the hotter floor board temps on the driver's side would be the better tell tails.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
There are no codes present. No cats on the car. VMP tune, long tube headers, off road x pipe, o2 extensions and other bolt ons are the mods. No leaks are present either. Rear o2s are switched off. It is definitely dumping fuel on that side. I'll check the o2 extensions and sensor tonight.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
There are no codes present. No cats on the car. VMP tune, long tube headers, off road x pipe, o2 extensions and other bolt ons are the mods. No leaks are present either. Rear o2s are switched off. It is definitely dumping fuel on that side. I'll check the o2 extensions and sensor tonight.

Swap O2's if you see no indications of burned or broken wiring on bank 2 harness. Obviously we are hoping that the symptom moves to bank 1. Then you know its the O2 sensor.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
O2 extensions are a no no on these cars.

That's what I've read. I just don't see any way of getting the plugs to reach without them.

Swap O2's if you see no indications of burned or broken wiring on bank 2 harness. Obviously we are hoping that the symptom moves to bank 1. Then you know its the O2 sensor.

That's the plan tonight. I'll hopefully have a spare o2 sensor by then just in case.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
It's a factory wideband, correct? It's pegged for sure and overfueling the whole bank. Why it's pegged is the question. Sensor or extension?

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
It's a factory wideband, correct? It's pegged for sure and overfueling the whole bank. Why it's pegged is the question. Sensor or extension?

Yes it is the factory wideband o2. I just realized it was the first time I'd driven the car in the rain since I put the headers on, next start up is when this happened. I wonder if the extensions are more sensitive to water than the factory plug ins? Not feeling so great today so will have to work on it tomorrow.

ILW84U

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's what I've read. I just don't see any way of getting the plugs to reach without them.
Here is what I found on another forum.

Disconnect the front and rear O2 sensors from the exhaust.

Trace the wiring harness down from the passenger side and it will attach to the bell housing and transmission on the driver side.

Remove all push pins and attachment points and flop the wiring harness from the driver side to the passenger side.

Pull the wiring harness from below with just a little force to remove slack in the harness.

Re-install all O2's with no extensions.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Here is what I found on another forum.

Disconnect the front and rear O2 sensors from the exhaust.

Trace the wiring harness down from the passenger side and it will attach to the bell housing and transmission on the driver side.

Remove all push pins and attachment points and flop the wiring harness from the driver side to the passenger side.

Pull the wiring harness from below with just a little force to remove slack in the harness.

Re-install all O2's with no extensions.

This is correct. It's pretty simple to do and really saves the life of the sensors as well as gives more accurate readings.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like the o2 sensor itself is the culprit. First, I removed the extension and plugged it in directly, still same issue. Swapped it over to Bank 1 and the readings moved along with it. I completely forgot to order one the other day, so hopefully I can get one locally tomorrow. I will be doing a clutch swap this weekend so that will be a good time to go through and stretch out the harness so I can make sure the wires are comfortable and not being stretched too far.

Attachments

• IMG_4999.JPG
    IMG_4999.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 10

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Looks like the o2 sensor itself is the culprit. First, I removed the extension and plugged it in directly, still same issue. Swapped it over to Bank 1 and the readings moved along with it. I completely forgot to order one the other day, so hopefully I can get one locally tomorrow. I will be doing a clutch swap this weekend so that will be a good time to go through and stretch out the harness so I can make sure the wires are comfortable and not being stretched too far.

Figured that was the culprit. Good trouble shooting.

Mark those harnesses well. Getting them crossed is a common OH-OH when doing a clutch swap. Label properly once...plug in properly once.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Figured that was the culprit. Good trouble shooting.

Mark those harnesses well. Getting them crossed is a common OH-OH when doing a clutch swap. Label properly once...plug in properly once.

Thanks for the tips everyone. Got this one resolved, good as new! New Bosch sensor was around $50.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Glad it was an easy problem to diagnose/fix. Also did my clutch swap today and managed to get the o2 sensors to plug in without the extensions! :clap:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back