BOSS 302S FLCA Bind

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
A question for those of you running the BOSS 302S FLCA (M-3075-RA) with the Competition Front Bushing Kit (M-5638-C):

With no other suspension components attached to the arm, and moving the arm up and down within its range of motion, how much "bind" do you have and what do you believe is acceptable?

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
While I dont fit your exact criteria for those you are seeking a response from I am running these FLCA units on my car. I chose to use a Prothane Poly bushing on my setup over the Derlin units found at the front most attachment point.

In terms of any bind, I think its important to consider the range of motion that the arm will actually see once the struts are in place. The struts range of motion at full droop and compression will act as the limiter on how much the arm itself will travel in both directions.

When I installed mine, and while at the same time installing a Boss 302S Bump Steer kit the process required one to take the strut thru its full range of motion while using a dial gauge to determine the ideal Bump Steer washer configuration.

In my case, I would see close to 4" in Bump and about 3" in droop if memory serves me correctly. Within that range, I would expect zero bind until you approached the extremes at each end.

If your experiencing bind well before this then I would confirm your torque settings of the attachment bolts that thread into the crossmember are correct otherwise you maybe looking at an issue with the bushing itself. Of course also ensure there is plenty of Lube applied.

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
We spent the better part of Saturday on these darn bushings. Had them on and off so many times that we wore out a set of bolts.
Whoever made these for FRPP must have been using a yardstick as a measuring device. This pertains to both the set on the car and a brand new set of arms and bushings in stock, used as a comparative control, on the car and on the bench. Both left and right sides exhibited the same unacceptable bind.
We wound up machining the actual inner delrin bushing and the thrust washer rings on the lathe. Got the force to move the arm up and down from 35 to 14 lbs. Required machining of the inner bushing allows it to move freely now. The consensus was that if we took any more off the thrust rings we might totally remove the preload on the bushing making it sloppy and introduce some toe change.
At this time, the arm does not droop under its own weight, but I am hoping that it will "wear in ", or it will require further modification after my two upcoming events for the season.
As these were installed 3 years ago before I new any better, it just irks me now that big name, high dollar parts are sold as bolt on, engineered, quality controlled, race parts.
Additionally, thinking of others, how is a fella supposed to do this if he doesn't have access to a machine shop and lathes? Rhetorical, but just sayin'.
Hope the above info on the required modifications helps someone in the future before these bushings are even installed.

Lucky_13

forum member
Reaction score
Something doesn't seem right - I also have them on my 2013 and didn't have that kind of issue. What year is the car they went on to? I'm not familiar enough with the differences to say for sure, but FRPP lists them as an 11-14 part.

DocB

forum member
Reaction score
They are on an 2008 Mustang GT FR500S.
FRPP lists them as "2005-2014 MUSTANG COMPETITION FRONT BUSHING KIT".

Lucky_13

forum member
Reaction score
Ah I was thinking the arms themselves are the 302S arms from 11+. That's very odd. I did notice my kit came with an extra set of prothane bushings, as if the kit could be used for two applications. Did you receive six bushings total with yours?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They are on an 2008 Mustang GT FR500S.
FRPP lists them as "2005-2014 MUSTANG COMPETITION FRONT BUSHING KIT".

I thought the FR500's front LCAs were subtly different than the standard GT's. Could that be the issue?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back