Going forged on my 06

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Hope I have this parked in the right forum. If not, my apologies in advance.
Quick background:
06 gt with procharger, 39# injectors, gt 500 fuel pumps, oil separator, Lund tuned with 8# boost, 420 whp, SLP catback exhaust.
I'm close to going to forged rods and pistons and I seem to recall a billet oil pump gear was also recommended. Any brands or kits to stay away from or recommended?
Besides the requisite machine work and labor required, is there anything else?
I would like to see 500 whp and was figuring 47 or 60# injectors, new pulley\belt and retune.
I know the forged question has been addressed numerous times, but I'm needing specifics as it applies to mine and didn't find that via search.
Thanks
Jack

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Call modmax and get a balanced assembly shipped over with rings/bearings etc, probably a stroker, skirt coat the pistons if they don't come that way.

Moly rings, not stainless.

No torque plates, use the TTY hardware everywhere except for your new rods.

500 isn't enough!

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Costs a boat load of extra money massive pain in the ass not necessary.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed, specific response. I've been a car guy forever, but this is new ground for me.
Not familiar with TTY hardware. What is it, where would it be used and would Modmax have it, or another source?

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
tty hardware are ford factory bolts ie head bolts, main cap bolts etc. You can purchase these in kits, "head changing kit" "main kit or crank kit etc. just look around google

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Modmax offers several rotating assembly kits for the 4.6 3v. The car has 24000 mi. will probably never be raced and I'm just looking for a strong street car with at least 500 hp. Given these parameters, any pointers on which kit?
Also any recommendations on piston choice, i.e. std. bore, c.c. size etc.

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
With only 24k miles I don’t think you would need to bore the block as long as you haven’t had any problems with the motor. Somebody correct me if I’m wrong. Also, the dish will change the compression. Usually people will go for stock compression which is 9.8:1. The 6.5cc dish will achieve that compression ratio.
Any of those kits with their H-beams will handle your goal of 500hp.
Also, look into the 52# injectors they use on the 13-14 GT500’s. They seem to be a bad ass injector for the price.

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on forging my 4.6 this winter. I have a blower and wish to stay on pump gas. I plan to leave the crank, the heads, and cam stock. I have Boss rods. I plan on using these pistons http://www.modmaxracing.com/product-p/man594300c-8.htm . I want stock compression so I believe these will work best for me. Talk to your tuner first. Like what is mentioned above, you can probably get more than 500hp. Shoot for 550 or so. If you go higher, your tuner may want you to consider lower compression with forced induction. If you limit the Variable Valve Timing, there are more piston options. Personally, I am not a fan of limiting VVT. As for bore diameter, you will know better when the engine is apart. With low miles, you may not need to bore the cylinders.
I am leaning toward these rings http://www.modmaxracing.com/product-p/man46600st-8.htm . Since I am using a power adder, I am reluctant to use moly rings. http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129661 .

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Couple of questions. Sounds like any of the H beam forged rods will do the job.
Piston opinions are divided,( based on associated posts\threads ) between custom and off the shelf.
Also no consensus on brand. Seems to be evenly divided between stainless and moly\plasma rings.
Am I right that I should wait till the motor is apart and know whether it needs boring or not to order pistons?
Finally do I need a kit that includes a forged crankshaft, or can I save the money and use the stock crank?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
do you want over 7/800 HP? if so, go forged, if not, no real need for one

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Only looking for 500-550 hp and not to race, just strong street.
By the way,thanks for the help thus far, as I really would like to get this right the first time.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you want the engine to burn tons and tons of oil, use steel rings. Otherwise, use moly.

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
If my engine has 51,000 miles, should I bore it out when I go forged? just added a centri blower this summer.

On modmax - the Forged Stroker kit - how do I know which cc piston to use? Will I be able to order before the engine is torn down?

Are the Modmax forged H Rods okay to use? Is there anything else I would need not included in this kit?

Still new to this, trying to decide if I should just buy a new block or go forged.

Thanks

Last edited:

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Good to know someone else has the same questions and issues.
I was starting to feel like the only non wrench in the Forum

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Knowing whether to bore or not is where you're machine shop comes in. Could you get by with oem bore? Maybe. Is it wore out and needs it?
Who knows. You really need it pulled apart and machine shop too measure it to know for sure.
I COULD have gotten by with oem bore, but they started getting a little wide at the bottom so I made the call to bore it

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
If my engine has 51,000 miles, should I bore it out when I go forged? just added a centri blower this summer.
Yes you should overbore the cylinders to ensure they're round and get the correct hone for whatever rings you choose so you'll get proper ring seal.

On modmax - the Forged Stroker kit - how do I know which cc piston to use? Will I be able to order before the engine is torn down?
Pistion dish is what determines the compression ratio, Like the other guy said, stock pistons are -6cc dish and net a 9.8:1 C/R, I wouldn't run any less C/R than that.

My personal opinion is to wait till the engine is torn down and check the bores to see how much over is needed before ordering new pistons,, However unless you've hurt the motor a 10-over piston should suffice as the 3 stock blocks I've torn down to rebuild had minimal wall scuffing.

As far as rings go, I've was turned onto the new Mahle
HV385 1.0mm / 1.0mm/ 2.0mm rings with my custom Diamond pistons,, These are VERY GOOD rings, they break in quicker, have better seal, make 'free' HP since they have less friction as they travel in the bore, plus they are cheaper than the Total Seal AP steel.

Are the Modmax forged H Rods okay to use? Is there anything else I would need not included in this kit?
I'd surmise all the economy H-beam rods are made by the same Chinese company [Manley included], the main difference is in the finish machining, the higher priced $650 Manleys are finished in the US where the $300 ones aren't. And go with ARP2000 rod bolts.

Still new to this, trying to decide if I should just buy a new block or go forged.
Not sure what you mean by 'new block' as there were no new aluminum 4.6 blocks available last time I checked, unless Ford decides to make another run there wont be,, and they were $2000,, so forging your block or pickup a donor is your only choice.

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
Will the 52lb injectors fit 3v's with stock manifolds? I thought I read somewhere they are EV14 style.
LMR has some on their website that said they were EV6 in the description but then proceed to say they only fit 07-14 GT500 and show an injector that has an EV14 style connector. I guess that would be one of those call and see type of inquiry.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
If I got Drive 55's post right, the cheaper rods are acceptable, they are just not as pretty?
Also Modmax isn't showing any 10 over pistons. Should we look elsewhere? Their Pistons start at 20 over.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back