Repair or part out? 05 GT Rear quarter panel damage

AK_Stang

Reaction score
Have a chance to get a good deal on an insurance buy back. Trying to decide if its worth it to repair the car or just part it out. I would swap out or sell the Bassani exhaust, cold air intake and a few other minor parts to my other Mustang and then try and sell as much as possible on Ebay. Just looking around there are a ton of parts that are going for ~$50-100. Anyone have any luck doing this? It's a 2005 GT with automatic.

00c0c_dHxT3wqbXoq_600x450.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Depends on how you value your time

to me the parts off a 05GT are not going to bring much

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
For the repair side, how bad did the floor get tweaked? I don't know how much it costs to have a frame straightened out, but I can't imagine it's cheap. That would probably be my deciding factor.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

AK_Stang

Reaction score
Most of the damage is to the outer sheet metal. Car still drives straight and tracks fine. I'm tempted to get it for the spare parts and then build the motor for a supercharger and ebay the rest of the parts. Seems like there would be hundreds of parts in the $50-100 range that I could eventually sell.

06JET

forum member
Reaction score
You may do better fixing it and selling the whole car. You probably could sell the seats, gauge cluster, wheels w/tires but most people don't but used factory replacement parts. They usually upgrade especially on performance cars. Good luck whatever you decide.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
What are they going to sell it back to you for? You can PM me if you'd like. I just dumped my red one into the ditch pretty good and am curious what to expect.

I've parted out an '05 GT with the front end blown off it and made like $2k with keeping the motor, trans, wiring.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
With the higher cost of shipping it's not really worth selling those $20-$50 parts. People aren't willing to spend that much on used parts when they can buy new aftermarket parts for the same price with free shipping from Rock Auto or wherever. By the time it is said and done you aren't going to make much.

When I parted out my Bullitt I made decent money on the built engine and T56 transmission along with a few hundred on some Bullitt specific trim pieces. I also had tons of aftermarket stuff with relatively low miles which brought half of new prices. Factory parts, not so much. Twelve year old factory parts aren't going to bring enough to cover shipping.

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on the miles it may not worth being fixed. You will spend more than the value. Replace the quarter, decklid, bumper, possible rear body replacement, blend the door, remove and install the back and quarter glass, remove and install the rocker moldings... it's going to add up if it's done right. If your insurance was going to total it out, its really not worth it unless YOU do the work. To straighten a frame will depend on if it is just tweaked. Roughly going to be charged 3 to 6 hrs for the frame work, and the shop may not touch it unless they do it all. They want to make sure everything fits correctly to their frame work

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i am a ASE I-Car certified body man with over 30 years experience.

looking at the pics, you are correct it's just sheet metal damage.
the problem is there is a LOT of damage to the under side structure. i see a buckle above the 1/4 window. this tells me both the outer AND the inner structure is damaged. i wouldn't be surprised to see the rear package tray is shifted along with some waves in the roof.

just a quick guestimate it will probably cost you over $12K to repair this car and that's with you doing a LOT of the work.

as far as parting it out.
as others posted, what's your time worth?
it's time consuming writing listings, answering the countless stupid questions and insanely lowball offers you will get. then packing and shipping after the sale. and don't forget you will need somewhere to store everything until it sells. i parted out 3 Lincoln mark VIII's 3 years ago. i still have a really big pile of parts i can't give away.
also don't forget about listing fees and collecting $$$ fees.

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
A little Bondo, strip the weight down, straight exhaust, and you have a fun drift car! ;)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back