B53 shortblock vs others

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Considering the shortblock option on my procharged 06, as an alternative to a forged rotating assembly.
Any opinions on whether the Ford B53 would be preferable to say the 5.4 offering from Modmax, or others out there?
Thanks
Jack

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Everything would bolt on to the 5.3. The 5.4 would at least need a different intake. I'm sure there's other things it would need as well.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Considering the shortblock option on my procharged 06, as an alternative to a forged rotating assembly.
Any opinions on whether the Ford B53 would be preferable to say the 5.4 offering from Modmax, or others out there?
Thanks
Jack

What are your HP goals and on what fuel?

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
If I do the 5.3, I would like to see 550+ on 91 or 93 octane.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a good choice on a boosted motor?
I saw a post elsewhere about problems with head gasket sealing and piston failure.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a good choice on a boosted motor?
I saw a post elsewhere about problems with head gasket sealing and piston failure.

You'll need 93+ gas and a good tune as they list the compression ratio at 10.5:1 using the 3V heads. I used flat top Diamond pistons on my current build and it calculated out to a 10.65:1 c/r, I run 93 pump gas haven't had any detonation issues.

Ford Racing uses Mahle piston's made out of 4032 material, they won't be as forgiving as a 2618 piston if you get any kind of detonation .. I have seen the ring lands get smashed on the 4032's.

Other than detonation taking the gasket out, I don't see any reason you'd have any other seal issues ..

You weren't reading about sleeved blocks were you?

You'd want to use the COMETIC 3v big bore gasket.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Talked to Steve the Tasca parts guy. Very helpful.
This shortblock is going to be my choice, unless I'm convinced otherwise.
I wasn't aware of the compression \piston issue just mentioned.
Would this be a deal breaker for anyone?
I was under the impression that going with a Ford Racing shortblock it would be pretty bullet proof.
So would I be better off looking at Modmax or someone else and having a selection of piston choices in either a shortblock or rotating assembly?

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
What did you get for a quote, and what was included in the block compared to the B324 shortblock?

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
$5200 for the B53 shortblock. It includes the oil pump which is the same one as the GT500.
With the motor mount adapter and all gaskets, it comes to $5900 shipped.
Where can I find info on the b324?
I'm not familiar and couldn't located it using search.

Last edited:

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
The business of getting serious hp from a 4.6 seems to be an expensive minefield.
I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off going to a coyote gen car with bolt ons.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
So, is the Brenspeed shortblock worth a grand more than what I can get the Ford B53 for?

06StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
The business of getting serious hp from a 4.6 seems to be an expensive minefield.
I'm not sure I wouldn't be better off going to a coyote gen car with bolt ons.

This was a thought I considered long and hard, but since I already did the headers/cam/and blower set up on my 4.6 I've decided that I'm keeping the 3V.

Just something about the look on people's face when my 3V can pull on them. I usually hear "that's not a stock 5.0, right?" And I grin and say, nope it's just a 4.6

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a modular performance 5.3 with a turbo and it's just awesome. Makes great power!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
The head gasket issues are more for the people looking for big power. By big I mean 1000+. There are some work arounds if that's the goal. I'm a fan of more displacement. Easier to make power with less boost.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
My goals are pretty modest, 500-550hp, so I assume I could sleep at night with this power output and not worry about it coming apart?
I'm still not clear on whether the extra weight of the cast iron block and expense would be a better fit for my situation than just going with a forged rotating assembly and oil pump upgrade.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
You'll be fine then. I made 500rwhp on a Mustang Dyno with a D1 at 12psi with my old BBS. But that was with 4v heads.

It all depends on your goals. I built mine as a street bruiser with the occasional canyon run. If I had planned on running track events I would have stuck with the aluminum block and just done a stroker.

inglimer

forum member
Reaction score
Steve from Tasca says he checked with his Ford tech source and the 5.3 using my 3v heads will give me 10.5 cr
Should I stay away from it or would it be safe up to say 550hp?

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
I would go with a Lowe compression in case you want to turn up the boost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back