Automotive Tools to Use and Avoid

bullitt0175

bullitthead
Reaction score
I use my snap on 1/4" impact on everything. Small enough that it wont strip a bolt, so you can even drive things in with it. I use it all day at work building motors. I keep an adapter in the case for 1/4" to 3/8".

Snap-on ct561 is the 3/8" drive version of that. 7.2 volts and works like a dream.. probably the number one most used tool in my box

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Snap-on ct561 is the 3/8" drive version of that. 7.2 volts and works like a dream.. probably the number one most used tool in my box

I have that model and I think it's the most gutless piece of shit snap on ever made. It won't take loose a bolt that has been torqued to 15 ft lbs.

bullitt0175

bullitthead
Reaction score
I have that model and I think it's the most gutless piece of shit snap on ever made. It won't take loose a bolt that has been torqued to 15 ft lbs.

I use it a ton up under dashes, taking panels on/off. Where I have room, I use my air tools. But in cramped spaces, I think the battery impact is the tits.

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
THe matco 1/4" cordless is badass, but it's almost too much for a 1/4".

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I picked these up a while back and love them! saves time, energy, no more sitting there ratcheting your brains out, just hook up a drill and you're all set, very helpful little things to have and cheap!
41oXJnVokCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JFXC95GRVDZYEWJCCHN

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
My two favorite tools at work:
18v Impact, this thing is STRONG, I love it, little heavy but it beats toting around an airhose. I have mine in lime green :)
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=19913&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

And this little life saver:
Awesome for work in confined spaces, can break loose most smaller stuff. This thing is my best friend when taking out dashboards for heater core jobs and such. I am actually looking to pick up one of the 1/4 impacts to do stuff that requires a little more torque to remove.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=22812&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=22812&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

bullitt0175

bullitthead
Reaction score
My two favorite tools at work:
18v Impact, this thing is STRONG, I love it, little heavy but it beats toting around an airhose. I have mine in lime green :)
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=19913&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

And this little life saver:
Awesome for work in confined spaces, can break loose most smaller stuff. This thing is my best friend when taking out dashboards for heater core jobs and such. I am actually looking to pick up one of the 1/4 impacts to do stuff that requires a little more torque to remove.

I have the same driver but not clutched. If you replace the nylon planetary gear with a metal gear you can crack screws and bolts loose then use it too spin them off. And you can get a 1/4 drive for it..thumbs up for sure

Fallenauthority

Reaction score
I have the same driver but not clutched. If you replace the nylon planetary gear with a metal gear you can crack screws and bolts loose then use it too spin them off. And you can get a 1/4 drive for it..thumbs up for sure
I crack screws and bolts loose with it by turning the driver without using the motor lol, probably not good for it but whatev. Then i spin them off with the motor. I also have the 1/4" adapter to use sockets already, pricless combo!

bullitt0175

bullitthead
Reaction score
I crack screws and bolts loose with it by turning the driver without using the motor lol, probably not good for it but whatev. Then i spin them off with the motor. I also have the 1/4" adapter to use sockets already, pricless combo!

That's what I mean... Eventually the teflon gear will strip from doing that. You can replace it with steel from snap-on for $10

Ampire

3 valve
Reaction score
Helpful combo:
-3/4" Impact socket set
-Duralast brand 3/4" breaker bar
-10 foot galvanized fence post, got this thing for $8 and put it around my 2 foot breaker bar with the impact sockets. Popped loose crank pulleys and cam sprockets when nothing else could budge it (no air tools at my home)

other useful stuff:
-Irwin Vice Grips - use these all the time on older cars. Also useful on struts that lose their top hat "notch". Strut's shaft was spinning freely so I wrapped ducttape around the top of the strut's shaft (as far from the valve as I could), basically just below the top hat, put the vicegrip around it and was able to spin the bolt off the top. Don't recommend doing this except as a last resort because any scoring on the part of the strut's shaft that re-enters the valve will cause the valve to fail.

-Crescent brand wrenches - very nice quality and not very expensive, probably will last forever

-The Craftsman 300 piece mechanic set: http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-300-pc-professional-tool-set/p-00933300000P - this is good as a starter set since you get enough sockets and rachets to do most jobs. When you break them, replace em with a higher end set or use the lifetime warranty. The plastic case it comes with kind of sucks because the drawers will slide out when you are carrying it, spilling the contents. Its a durable case though.

-jbweld: i use this on everything, doesn't matter what its made of, just stick some jbweld on it. fixed a pulley tensioner arm, a timing belt cover, exterior and interior panels, a cooking pot's handle, and countless other stuff.

Last edited:

delz05

forum member
Reaction score
Must agree with the 1/4" cordless impact by Snap-On advice. Probably the most used tool I have since purchasing this past summer. 2nd on my list is the 14.4v 3/8" impact gun. Between these two, I have never had any trouble pulling and engine, tearing it down and re-building.

I must also add...MUST HAVEs... a mini pick set, made by many vendors, I happen to have a Snap-On set. Extremely handy for helping separate wire looms, connectors and such; Larger pick set (using Craftsman) for help in removing heater and radiator hoses; a telescopic lighted magnet, you will drop those bolts in hard to reach places!

Sprayin Blue 3V

forum member
Reaction score
Helpful Tool:

Distributor Bolt removal tool.

ditributortool.jpg

Not exactly necessary on these newer cars, but works miracles on my 302 Windsor equipped Fiero.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I just got a $50 sears gift card for my bday couple days ago. Glad I found this thread again so I know what to buy

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Doing spark plugs I highly recommend these two items.

First, the Matco SPK5 spark plug socket set. It has 3 5/8" sockets, all with built in swivel extensions of various lengths. These sockets are perfect for doing plugs on the GT500's and the new 5.0 GT's. Also included in this set is a single 9/16" socket (standard socket not swivel) which is the size for 05-10 GT's with the 4.6 engine. What makes these sockets so fantastic is that instead of the usual rubber grip on the inside for holding the plug during install or removal, they are magnetic, which is strong enough to hold the plugs without falling out, but wont leave the socket behind when installing the plugs and removing the tool.

The second is the STAB2T T-Handle set. The great thing about this set is that when installing the plugs, you can spin them into place, then (at least for me) tighten them with one hand, almost guarenteeing not to over tighthen the plug during install.

These 2 tools have become 2 of my favorite tools in my tool box and have made doing plugs on Mustangs a joy.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Chuck, thanks. Now im gonna have to buy more tools. Id love to find a set of magnetic sockets. Hmmmm.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I rarely buy anything from Harbor Freight, but I picked up a set of nylon pry bars recently and they work great when pulling any interior panels or lock pins on things like the radiator top panel.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back