3.7 to a 4.6

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Not even remotely worth it, especially since that is f-150 coyote money. Keep the V6 in the car. The 3.7 is a very good motor...this is coming from someone who is doing a 4.6 3v swap into his 4.0 car.

Bud Mud

Reaction score
Not even remotely worth it, especially since that is f-150 coyote money. Keep the V6 in the car. The 3.7 is a very good motor...this is coming from someone who is doing a 4.6 3v swap into his 4.0 car.
What trouble are you having?

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
None. But I just can't understand why you would want to spend that kind of money to essentially move sideways.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Stay with the 3.7 or upgrade to a 5.0

As above get a truck 5.0 motor for much cheaper

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
^^^ I concur. Or if you are really attached to your car and don't want to trade, just bolt on a blower/turbo to your V6. I have seen guys get serious power out of a 3.7 with FI.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
^^^ I concur. Or if you are really attached to your car and don't want to trade, just bolt on a blower/turbo to your V6. I have seen guys get serious power out of a 3.7 with FI.

This. Have a local guy with a Procharger kit on his '13 v6, turning down 11's, maybe even close to reaching 10's with the right tires. Car is pushing over 600hp. Any higher would need motor upgrades, I'm sure.

Plus I would think the 4.6 would weigh more vs. the 3.7. Essentially adding weight for the same power.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
It would have been be a nice cheap swap in the 1960's. You'll be a lot better off to sell your Mustang and trade for a Mustang GT :)

QFT

even up to the 80's a lot of cars were very swappable. There are very few 'Mr Potato Head' swaps for newer cars.

It could be done, but we really need to think about work vs reward here. By time you get through every part that does not mate, or does not directly swap, I can just about guarantee you will wish you had sold you car and just gotten a car born with a v8.

P.S. I am getting to the point on Facebook I might start encouraging people with v6s to cut up their cars.

stanimals2

Reaction score
I have a 2012 3.7 and a 96 GT 4.6 and I think the 3.7 is faster hands down ! Keep the 3.7 and do some bolt ons and add a Bama tune. Just my opinion

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 3.7 and a 96 GT 4.6 and I think the 3.7 is faster hands down ! Keep the 3.7 and do some bolt ons and add a Bama tune. Just my opinion

My 2003 GT 4.6L 2V is a fun car but it can not beat a 3.7L V6.

Last edited:

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
I cant imagine insurance being THAT much worse that you couldnt afford to have a GT? I would take the money you would spend on a swap and trade your v6 in on a GT.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I always thought the 3.7 was ripe for FI. A wategated Procharger would pretty cool. Especially with a proper convertor in a 6R80 setup. Just 8 psi is 2018 GT power. 12 psi would 550 range on pump gas.

I read about a guy building a 3.7 twin turbo using 3.5 F150 Ecoboost manifolds. Not sure if it ever got finished,

mist82

Reaction score
I always thought the 3.7 was ripe for FI. A wategated Procharger would pretty cool. Especially with a proper convertor in a 6R80 setup. Just 8 psi is 2018 GT power. 12 psi would 550 range on pump gas.

I read about a guy building a 3.7 twin turbo using 3.5 F150 Ecoboost manifolds. Not sure if it ever got finished,

i believe i have been following the same guy (i dont think there is another out there), but he stopped with posts, and few of those YT vids. maybe he scrapped the project. that manifold looked kind of weird, but sounded good when he tested it.

David Young

Reaction score
i believe i have been following the same guy (i dont think there is another out there), but he stopped with posts, and few of those YT vids. maybe he scrapped the project. that manifold looked kind of weird, but sounded good when he tested it.

The dude from the Denver area, I think? His goal was to have the fastest v6 powered Mustang in the world (1/4 mile). Lots of post last year and 'Nothing' posted this year. Looks like he might have given up :(

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back