Stumble/surge

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
So every once in a while I'm getting a stumble/surge on start up. When I start the car, it idles around 1000rpm then settles down to 800rpm. Today, leaving for lunch, when I applied light throttle, it started bucking and surging. I'm gonna try the tried and true throttle body and MAF cleaning tomorrow (parts place closes at 5 here) but I saw online that a bad coil boot can cause a random misfire. I wonder if this might be it as it only happens every once in a while. I've got a tad over 70k miles and the article said the boots start to act up around the 50k mark. Anyone else ever heard of this?

Damn it. Wrong section. Can somebody move this please. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem.
I've doubled checked the gap on my spark plugs, inspected coil boots, cleaned the MAF & TB, replaced the MAF with one from a different car, reset the pcm, tried different gas stations and the bucking is still there. I'm not seeing any fault codes. I chalked it up to having cams because it clears up at WOT & above 2000rpm.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
The post about the coil boots said visual inspection wasn't 100% reliable. They can still look great but be faulty. It was described as a maintenance item. They only run about $5 a pop so I might give it a shot if the cleanings don't get rid of it.

46addict

Reaction score
I'll give that a try. But I'm not seeing them that cheap. It's $45 a piece for Motorcraft and the cheapest ones on Rockauto are $14 each.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
boot/coil can definitely be the cause of hesitation. I routinely do a coil pack inspection/change on older F-150 trucks that we sell. You wouldn't believe how many trucks I've taken in that had MSD coils that caused them to run like poop.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Knock on wood, cleaning my tb seems to have cleared up the issue.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back