Point to Point WiFi Bridge?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I want to get WiFi into my pole barn from my house. The barn is approximately 140 feet (on Google Earth) from my house. This is a clear line of sight with no trees or other obstructions.

I originally was going to bury cable to get it out there, but that will be really difficult and there is a 100 amp electric service buried to the same barn in the area of this preferred path that I don't want to dig into. Besides that, digging is exceedingly difficult in my yard (lots of large rocks) so I think I want to do this wireless bridge thing and then have WiFi inside the barn.

It's a metal clad Morton pole barn and I get horrible connectivity inside the barn. I can barely make a phone call out of the barn if the big doors aren't open. I have to go to the door and step outside a little bit for it to work.

I think I can put one of these on the house and aim it at another one on the barn that is wired to a wireless router inside the barn.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=19396

Anyone ever done this kind of thing before?

VA Raptor

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, an ISP in my area uses those to get internet to us out in the boonies and I use something similar for my shed. They work very well and would definitely recommend them over burying cable (less money/labor by far!). Setup is very easy as well if you've ever setup a wireless router.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
You need two of them along with two routers ... there is a good write up on garage journal about wifi bridges

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You need two of them along with two routers ... there is a good write up on garage journal about wifi bridges

Thanks for the tip I will go look it up. I registered for garage journal once and go every once in a while to see what kind of cool ideas people have. Some cool as shit garages on that site.

jamesmichael2929

Reaction score
Wi-Fi extender will do the trick under 40 bucks very easy to set up,

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
140' through a barn it's not likely to work well IMHO

Getting the signal to the barn is only part of the issue. Getting it into the barn when it's closed up is a probably a bigger part of the problem. Hence the bridge idea with a router inside the barn.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Getting the signal to the barn is only part of the issue. Getting it into the barn when it's closed up is a probably a bigger part of the problem. Hence the bridge idea with a router inside the barn.

I was referring to the extender idea that I quoted.

The bridge idea I don't know enough about to comment

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the extender idea that I quoted.

So was I. Even if I extend the range of my current WiFi from my router in the house out far enough to cover the pole barn the signal won't get into the barn where I need it. Inside the barn is almost like begin in a Faraday cage. Not quite, but no signals radio or cell or otherwise like to get inside the building when the doors are closed. All the tin walls and roof just block almost all the signal.

I'll add this inexpensive router (if I don't still have an old one) and boom done.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052102&p_id=16135&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back