What have you done to your house today

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Had my AC neighbor come by today and recharge my AC for me. He did it a year ago and it's been fine but last week it began icing up on me (I heard the water dripping off the coils). I'm not spending the money to fix it now if I don't have to, the fresh charge will last 6-8 months at least. By then it will be somebody else's problem.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Had our passive radon mitigation system converted to an active one. Hopefully this takes car of our high readings.

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Ive been bitching about standing water in my yard for months blaming it on something blocked up or all the rain. Well the guy that built the house next to me finally cut the grass yesterday and he's back today fixing a broken water line he found yesterday while cutting grass. Said it was about 100 gallons a day. My yard is still wet but all the standing water is gone!!! I'm so dam happy.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
^ Glad that issue got resolved. Drainage is always an issue in my mind. It's something you must address when shopping for a house because it's tough to change your elevation after the fact. My current house is one of the 3 highest on my entire street and my new place also sits higher than the road, the neighbor next door and the houses across the street.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Assuming there are no further hang ups, I'll be a homeowner on May 17th. Already stressing about the move even though it's into a bigger space since my daughter is due about 2.5 weeks later. Yikes!

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
Assuming there are no further hang ups, I'll be a homeowner on May 17th. Already stressing about the move even though it's into a bigger space since my daughter is due about 2.5 weeks later. Yikes!

Congratulations on both fronts! This spring and summer are going to be a blur, it seems.

I'm going back and forth with my HOA and landscaper. The landscaper said they could probably start tomorrow, which is great because we were thinking it would be another month. The issue is our HOA, which apparently operates at a snail's pace. We sent them our proposal about two weeks ago, which adheres to every requirement in our bylaws. They finally get back to us today, telling us to remember that automatic irrigation systems are not allowed within 5' of a foundation (we're putting in turf and rock, so no sprinklers), and saying it might take a while to process since they aren't sure how they feel about a drain they think we're adding (the drain was added by the builder, per the HOA's requirements, prior to us closing on the house).

On a positive note, they put the posts for my fence in today!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Congratulations on both fronts! This spring and summer are going to be a blur, it seems.

I'm going back and forth with my HOA and landscaper. The landscaper said they could probably start tomorrow, which is great because we were thinking it would be another month. The issue is our HOA, which apparently operates at a snail's pace. We sent them our proposal about two weeks ago, which adheres to every requirement in our bylaws. They finally get back to us today, telling us to remember that automatic irrigation systems are not allowed within 5' of a foundation (we're putting in turf and rock, so no sprinklers), and saying it might take a while to process since they aren't sure how they feel about a drain they think we're adding (the drain was added by the builder, per the HOA's requirements, prior to us closing on the house).

On a positive note, they put the posts for my fence in today!
I understand there are situations where an HOA is a desirable asset for a community but I don't think it's the thing for me. I'd last about a week before I got myself thrown out of the neighborhood for cussing out some HOA schmuck trying to tell me what I can or cannot do on my own damn yard.

7 more days before I close on my place. A half acre lot with a 120' wide easement behind it so I only really have one neighbor to deal with and he's been pretty cool so far. I can't wait to have a little bit of breathing space.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
I understand there are situations where an HOA is a desirable asset for a community but I don't think it's the thing for me. I'd last about a week before I got myself thrown out of the neighborhood for cussing out some HOA schmuck trying to tell me what I can or cannot do on my own damn yard.

7 more days before I close on my place. A half acre lot with a 120' wide easement behind it so I only really have one neighbor to deal with and he's been pretty cool so far. I can't wait to have a little bit of breathing space.

Hopefully this week flys by for you.

Yeah, I'm not sold on the whole HOA thing, either. I definitely like the amenities, but I'm not a fan of having to get permission to do shit to my property. Our HOA in Houston was pretty hands off, and they were my only other experience.

My wife and I decided to just go ahead with the landscaping. We figure we can back up everything with the bylaws, and the HOA doesn't even seem to be paying attention anyway. Hell, they asked where our fence on the west side was going to be, and how close it was to the neighbor's house. I told them that the fence on the west side IS the neighbor's house. Lol.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
HOA does suck but also is needed in some way. I haven't had issues with mine to much so I haven't had any complaints with them yet.

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
HOA does suck but also is needed in some way. I haven't had issues with mine to much so I haven't had any complaints with them yet.

I'm thinking this one will be pretty hands-off. I'm kinda wondering if I should have even bothered with sending in an application. I think it will all work out anyway, since my landscaper just informed me that he would be starting on our yard next week, most likely.

Our builder sent over a guy to touch up our kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, closets, banisters, and stair posts today. He spent almost 6 hours and I've got to say I'm impressed. Hopefully my wife will be, too.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm thinking this one will be pretty hands-off. I'm kinda wondering if I should have even bothered with sending in an application. I think it will all work out anyway, since my landscaper just informed me that he would be starting on our yard next week, most likely.

Our builder sent over a guy to touch up our kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, closets, banisters, and stair posts today. He spent almost 6 hours and I've got to say I'm impressed. Hopefully my wife will be, too.

So was it all worth it? Was it worth the wait?

Kenaizer

forum member
Reaction score
So was it all worth it? Was it worth the wait?

I would say yeah. We're loving the house, and the builder is almost done satisfying everything from our checklist. Everyone who has visited so far loves the house too. Almost every one of them has commented on how they expected the house to be tiny. I guess my pictures make the house seem crowded.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Progress on my outdoor equipment shack

IMG_3770-L.jpg

IMG_3769-L.jpg

IMG_3771-L.jpg

Last edited:

utm18

forum member
Reaction score
Cut the grass and cleaned the pool. Working on a plan for a outdoor sound system around the pool and deck.not sure which direction I want to go.

i am ryan

forum member
Reaction score
Backstory: This house was sold in August of 2014 to the current owner. He provided us with the inspection report from when he bought the house before we even made an offer.

Got our own inspection reports back a few days ago and were surprised to find that, despite what we'd been told, almost none of the repairs recommended from when the current owner bought the house had been completed. Missing GFCIs, crawl space was missing vapor barrier and insulation in some places, two joist hangers on the back deck were installed incorrectly, etc. This whole process has been an uphill battle with this guy, but after sending an email to the realtor expressing how disappointed we were they apparently got their shit together and immediately called people out to fix EVERYTHING we told them to and even a few other things. I don't know what's changed in the last few days, but apparently the seller's decided to get on board finally. Very strange.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
^ Once in a while people actually come around when you call them on their shit and there's a large amount of money on the line.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back