Project:"New Casa Del Stewart"

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I thought I would start a project thread tracking our journey in building our first new house. Our family just expanded again to a total of five (I am late getting a thread started about that too :lol:) and have outgrown our first home. We've tried to build for about the last year and a half but have had trouble selling our current house (its in an historic district around Downtown Dayton, OH so there isn't a huge demand surprise surprise) but I've been lucky enough to advance to a point in my career that we could afford to go ahead and build anyway and still try to rent/sell our first house. We've debated moving South (Lebanon) North (Troy) and East (Columbus) and changed our minds several times. We ended up moving a little bit north to Tipp City Ohio. The community we are moving into is just on the Miami County side of the Miami/Montgomery county line so we get much lower taxes, but still are close to the I70/I75 interchange so we can get just about anywhere quickly. Enough with the background, lets talk about the house.

We selected a Ranch style home with a bonus loft bedroom/home office. The total square footage is going to be right around 3500 sqft including about 960sqft of finished basement. There are a total of 4 bedrooms and a 2 car garage. I wanted a 3 car, but it just didnt fit in the overall budget. We're allowed 10x12 sheds, so that is where all the yard tools will go so I can maximize the use of garage space for other things. The basement has several non finished areas that I have future plans for. One will be a theater room. I work for the Larges A/V integrator in the world, so I plan on using any and all available discounts to make that into a really nice setup. The other area I wanted to build up will be a secure area to store, maintain, and tinker with firearms. I've referred to it as a little armory, my wife has called it my panic room. I want this room to be hidden and as secure as I can reasonably make it so I'm thinking about a hidden door and some type of reinforcement for the interior wall where the door will be. Both of those items will be on hold till we sell our first house though.

Here is a rendering of the exterior of the house
home+rendering.jpg

One of my daughters and I the day we got to put the sold sticker up!
SOLD%2521.jpg

Basement excavated
2014-04-28

Basement walls up and insulated
2014-04-28

Basement Backfilled
2014-04-28

I-Beams in
2014-04-28

Basement and Garage floors poured and framing started
2014-04-28

We've been told by the builder that we should be ready to close and move in Mid to Late June. There have been some delays due to weather, but we are supposed to still be on schedule. I'm hoping that they get a roof on the house sooner than later, I'm not thrilled about the idea of all that lumber getting all the rain on it that we are supposed to get this week.

Thanks for reading and I'll keep this up to date as the build progresses.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Congrats! Building a new house is a huge joy. Keep up the pics and keep checking on the house... only way you will know if they cut corners or missed something.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I've been up at least once a week since they started. I'm just really anxious for them to get it under roof so the framing doesn't get so wet. Of course it is going to rain most of this week .

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I was "That Guy" when we built this house... I came out every day to see progress and to make sure the subs were doing things correctly. The builder probably didn't appreciate it but I am glad I did as there would have been a number of stupid mistakes as the subs were rushing to get to the next job. They actually started asking me questions instead of the builder as they knew I would be there every day and would make them redo it if it was wrong...

-PmP-

forum member
Reaction score
Congrats! It's always cool to see someone have a home built to the specs they want. Good luck and I hope you get to move in on schedule.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
We had our pre-drywall meeting today and went through all the structural and electrical/plumbing/cable data hookups. It was the first time my wife had been inside the home since construction started since she was pregnant and had our son 4 weeks ago today. She's very happy with the layout of the house and the way things are turning out so far. I took a TON of high quality pictures of the entire house since everything was up but still exposed without any insulation or drywall. I can use this to go back to if we find future defects.

We also got our final walk through and closing dates, which we immediately asked to reschedule since I will be in Vegas June 17-20 for a trade show. Our closing date was pushed back to June 25 to accommodate that.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I went through the house and took a picture of every wall in the house a couple days before insulation... this gave me all of the electrical and plumbing routes for when the drywall was up. Makes going back through and verifying where things are when you want to do things much easier...

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
I tell everyone building to do it... seems silly but I have looked the pics up for this house and my previous house numerous times to verify where studs are and to make sure I am not going to be cutting through wires or plumbing...

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much do houses in that development go for?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back