New house, new renovation project :)

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Got the "Bubble-Up Sr" water-radon mitigation system installed today, done by a local company, to lower the level of radon in the water from the private well.

I spent a few hours cleaning up the front lawn of all the brush / debris from the tree-cutting project.
Still have a good-sized pile to move around, but it's nice to have have the lawn clear of branches.

Also hooked up and used the trailer I'm borrowing from my brother-in-law to throw some demo debris in there, and clean up a pile of it from where I had started throwing it, outside one of the back windows, lol

I took a few pictures, but forgot the camera there, so the only pic I have is of the Tundra with the trailer hooked up

2014-12-22_wTrailer_zpsdb5d4fe8.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
New pics of the front of the house, including the removal of the large odd bush that was on the upper part of the lawn, and after I removed a lot of the debris from the front yard:

2014-12-22_frt-yard1_zps445550f6.jpg

2014-12-22_frt-yard2_zps0d342f78.jpg

A pic of the "Bubble-Up" water radon mitigation system installed (the second item from right to left):

2014-12-22_water-radon1_zps6de45104.jpg

And the new toolbox my girlfriend got me for Christmas :clap:

2014-12-23_HUSKY_tool-box_zps442856fa.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Back to work today.
Along with my GF, we ripped up the carpet from the hallway, one of the bedrooms, and the living room.
Also removed the foam under the carpet from the same areas, except the bedroom.
We also removed all the old base trim from the same rooms, all the nail strips, and all the staples that were used to secure the foam backing, and swept up the mess.

2014-12-26_no-carpet1_zps9a9c94ab.jpg

2014-12-26_no-carpet2_zpse26daead.jpg

Found an interesting surprise under the living room carpet:
Apparently the previous owner was an artist.
(It's signed by the male of the couple that lived/used to own the house)

2014-12-26_no-carpet6_zps1c993b1f.jpg

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gabe any way you can take some pictures of the exterior garage light when its completely dark outside?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Gabe any way you can take some pictures of the exterior garage light when its completely dark outside?

This is all I have so far, since I don't live there right now, I don't tend to be there at night time ...

But, it's BRIGHT :)

2014-12-16_garage-light7_zps0a488a63.jpg

2014-12-16_garage-light6_zps8bec4993.jpg

2014-12-16_garage-light5_zps9b53e8f8.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Took one more pic for ya James, as we were leaving today, pretty dark outside, it came out a bit blurry but still shows the light well, I think:

2014-12-27_garage-light-at-night_zps48148a7b.jpg

As far as other work done today at the house ....

Got rid of the stove, dishwasher, clothes washer/drier. Kid came by and picked them up. Got $50 for them all. Basically sold the stove for $50 and gave everything else away free.

Also made 2 trips to the local dump and with the Tundra's bed loaded and a small borrowed trailer also full, got rid of all the demo debris we had made so far, including a bunch of tile, the old fiberglass tub and tub walls, some moldy insulation, all the carpet and its padding, and a bunch of other crap. Awesome to get rid of this stuff for free and not have to rent a dumpster for it. Saved $400 there.

Girlfriend and I finished the carpet removal in all the rooms except the dining/sun room next to the kitchen. Carpet padding gone too, along with all the tack strips and padding staples. Also swept up everything so it looks pretty nice, even though it's just plywood:

2014-12-27_bare-floor-rm1_zpsdaa6497d.jpg

2014-12-27_bare-floor-rm2_zps67ee8f2f.jpg

2014-12-27_bare-floor-rm3_zps7f188e90.jpg

I got to work on removing more of the bathroom floor tile ... fun project, I hate this shit

2014-12-27_bathroom-floor_zpsf532b21d.jpg

Removed the bathroom mirror and a built-in cabinet that the previous owner built.
Found another surprise, more artwork from the previous owner:

2014-12-27_bathroom-wall_zps162525ad.jpg

In the kitchen, we removed the remaining upper cabinets and most of the lower cabinets, including one of the large green quartz counter-top pieces.
I also went ahead and removed the old stove hood, and disconnected the wiring without ever shutting off the power to it ... not smart, but certainly quicker, lol

2014-12-27_kitchen1_zps787cc21f.jpg

In the above pic you can also see where we poked through the ceiling where the old upper cabinets used to be to see what's inside that soffet, found that we can basically remove it and go all the way to the ceiling with the new cabinets, something we were hoping to be able to do.
We will also be getting a nice new stainless steel hood that will vent outside :)

The one upsetting thing we found was that there are 2 sub-floors under the current kitchen linoleum ... this crap will all have to go, since we want the kitchen floor to be at the same level as the rest of the floor of course, where there will be hardwood installed eventually.
The sub-flooring we found, this was under the cabinets:

2014-12-27_kitchen2_zpsd348d169.jpg

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
That bathroom tile is hideous. Cool artwork though.

When I redid the kitchen cabinets in my current house about 15 years ago I had zero experience, but I knew I had lived in places with bug problems and didn't want bugs here. Before installing the cabinets I patched every single tiny hole in the walls behind the cabinets to eliminate bug access then threw a coat of paint on just to cover the drywall paper. It really worked as I have had virtually no bugs in my kitchen in 15 years and as a bachelor I'm not the best housekeeper in the world.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Thanks guys .... taking tomorrow off, although I DO WANT to go and put my new tool box together, lol

k_aimone

forum member
Reaction score
Looking good. I have been looking at homes in windham NH where is this one

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice reno! What made you decide to take down the trees on the left and right side of the house?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Nice reno! What made you decide to take down the trees on the left and right side of the house?

Thanks. The trees were taken down for couple of reasons, but mostly because we wanted to have a better view of the house, plus we want to widen the driveway soon, and the ones on the right side were too close to the unpaved driveway on that side, with them gone we have more sun hitting the house, and I plan on moving back some of those rocks so the entrance to that driveway will be wider too.
Right now it's a huge pain in the ass when I try to back up with the trailer hooked up.

One other thing: after we took down the ones on the left, by the existing paved driveway, we found that quite a bit of their tops was dead, so they were starting to be a danger to the house ... good time to have them taken down.
There are a few very tall pines out back that look somewhat ready to topple too ...

Great work. Looks like it is really coming together.

Thanks ... I'm going back today to continue hammering on that bathroom tile ... it needs to go bye-bye ASAP !!!

Not gonna be putting a full day in today though, since by 3PM I need to be an hour away with my GF's son - we're going to have his '04 Mach 1 tuned :D

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I assume you still have another home you are living in/renting? I need to redo my bathroom but concerned about not having a shower during the time that I do it. Have to gut my kitchen as well.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I assume you still have another home you are living in/renting? I need to redo my bathroom but concerned about not having a shower during the time that I do it. Have to gut my kitchen as well.

Yeah, we're living in the GF's townhouse meanwhile.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
What is your ETA to move in it by?

We're hoping to be moved in by March 1st, but there's really no deadline or set date for it.
We're lucky to be able to be working on this while living in the GF's place, although we're looking to sell this one as quick as possible so that that mortgage will go bye-bye ...

Today I only spent a couple hours at the new house, but I removed most of the floor tile (only a bit left under the toilet and on the other side of it), and also removed the drywall above the bath tub where a drop-down "soffet" was built. We are eliminating this feature and going all the way to the regular ceiling with the new build.

This took 6 minutes:

2014-12-28_bath1_zpse57eb1d9.jpg

And the result:

2014-12-28_bath2_zps6d1f4325.jpg

2014-12-28_bath3_zps84f8f6f9.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back