Home Security Systems

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I did a search, and surprisingly, nothing really came up for home security systems.

So who's got one? What do you like/dislike about it? Monthly costs, equipment set up costs? I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who had one or has had experience with one in the past.

And yes, I know that there will be someone chime in with a fire arm or large canine reference. LOL I have those already, just looking for another security system to help my dogs watch over my house when my gun and I aren't at home.

Here are a few that I am considering:

Iris from Lowe's. Pretty inexpensive, and has the basics, which is really all I care about.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_388553-41166-KIT651_4294719511__?productId=3735295&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

SimliSafe, which is similar to the Iris system. Again, has the basics I want and the price is reasonable.

http://simplisafe.com/home-security...rity+System+Do+It+Yourself&utm_term={keyword}

And since we already have Xfinity for our cable/internet, I was thinking about adding their service.

http://www.comcast.com/home-security.html

We also looked at ADT, but they seemed kinda pricey.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a hard wired system installed by a local company, cost me like $2200 to install, has a motion sensor and two key pads. I pay $19/month for central station monitoring. Every entry is wired. I've had it about 12 years.

I paid up front and got the lower cost longer term monitoring vs. going ADT and getting a cheap install and high monthly charges.

RCrumb

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We a GE system, cost about $3k all in, some hard wired, some wireless. Awesome system, reliable, monitors temperature, motion, sound, glass break, etc. it also has these two discs in the floor of the basement near the floor drain that monitors water flow (ie if your water heater or pipe burst the water heading towards the drain triggers an alarm), called a water bug. I pay $20/month monitoring which includes warranty.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Thanks Dave and RC!

I am looking at going full wireless, since that seems to be less costs than a hard wired system. Just not sure about the reliability of wireless. Hopefully someone else will chime in about that. I really don't want to have to fork over $2K or more to get this thing set up. (yeah, I'm cheap!) And Dave, I agree on the fact that I do not want a high monthly fee to support my security system. I'd rather pay a little more up front and have a monthly bill that is less than a dinner out at a restaraunt. I may check into a local security company.

And FWIW, I just want security. I don't care about the other stuff like setting your thermostat, turning on lights, etc. I just want to know if someone is trying to do bad things to my house and my stuff.

MustASH

forum member
Reaction score
Take a look on this :

http://www.paradox.com

I install home security alarm on the side of my regular job, and I highly recommend Paradox. It's a Canadian product, but worldwide distributed. Very efficient, low cost, and easy to program.

I've done my own house for under 1k$ including, touch-pad keyboard, doors and motions sensors, sump pump water lever sensor, and IP150 module for iPhone/Android or internet remote monitoring.

Many devices you can configure as your needs, including wireless sensors (that are really nice !)

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had ADT installed when I built the house 14 years ago and it's been a good system. Two keypads, one upstairs and one downstairs, sound and motion sensors and every downstairs window and door.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
We have ADT, and I don't know if it is the call center we are assigned to or what, but if the main alarm is ever tripped, they take their good old time before doing their security check call.

As far as the system, 1 motion sensor, sensor on all external doors, and 1 keypad. The house was built in 1995, and is currently out of code if we were to update or get a new system. We were going to try a local company, but they wouldn't install the system without having fire alarms inside each bedroom (new fire codes). Currently there are only fire alarms in the bedroom hallways.

The backup battery system on ours started going bad a couple years ago. Almost every year we have had to replace the battery in it, when at first we only had to replace it once every 3 years.

Newer systems have the option to tie in with the cell phones, and I think some will even monitor garage doors now. Then you have the ones that will control the lights and A/C. I'd rather have one of those systems than the simple pad and sensors.

Also Kwikset, about a year or two ago, started making the bluetooth type door locks if you'd like to look into that. Essentially your phone can be used to unlock the doors without needed to pull out the keys. Kind of like the remote keyfobs for cars.

MustASH

forum member
Reaction score
Most of alarm central are ip monitoring now. I suggest you to go with this. If you don't want to be connected to a central, you still can configure the ip module to monitor with your cell or web.

There is a snapshot of iParadox application (www.paradox.com)

iParadox_02.jpg

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Sometimes just the sign out front deters people. However, there was a short period a while back that there were people breaking into the houses around here in broad daylight. One of the homeowners around here had a few huskies, and pulled a shotgun on the burglars when they attempted to break into his house.

We mainly have it on our house because the nearest police dept. is the county sheriffs, and they have to cover about 5 different cities. There are 3 large cities within the county that have their own police force, so that does help a bit.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Anybody with a security system ever have a break in or an attempted one?

Most of the amateurs are scared off by the sign and anyone that isn't is usually looking for bigger scores. I have never had any problems, although some in my neighborhood have had cars broken into, there haven't been any homes broken into. I think the cars are just kids looking for what they can get.

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
If you are available for At&t digital life, it's a great security/automation service. I had it at my last house. Full wireless. Works off your Internet and AT&T wireless network.

If you are in an area and are interested in the product, let me know I can get someone with you. I work for Att but my location doesn't sell digital life, but I know people who do.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I got ADT when we built the house and just upgraded to ADT Pulse and re-newed the contract. I looked at some other companies to include ATT and although they had everything I wanted it was a bit pricey. Like other systems, what I like about ADT Pulse is that I can now buy my own wireless monitors and connect them to the network vs. buying them directly from ADT. I do pay around $50 per month, so it is a pricier option.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
If you are available for At&t digital life, it's a great security/automation service. I had it at my last house. Full wireless. Works off your Internet and AT&T wireless network.

If you are in an area and are interested in the product, let me know I can get someone with you. I work for Att but my location doesn't sell digital life, but I know people who do.

My new house is being built in a pretty new development. They are finishing up on Phase 2 but have Phase 3/4 in the works right now. ATT UVerse is available at the model in the beginning of the neighborhood but not back at my street. I know I can call customer service and should be able to get it out there but any advice how to go about it? or is it just no problem?

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I had Xfinity Comcast put on mine, each door sensor, 2 motion sensors, 1 camera, 1 wall mount keypad, 1 tablet keypad that also shows camera, and of course phone/internet access to it. It seems decent, but I would like to add more camera's.. that maybe be a separate self installed system though (if anyone has suggestions)

Last edited:

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
I work long hours and have a security system for peace of mind while I'm not home. I actually went with Comcast home security and upgraded my package to 'triple play' so I have home security, internet, cable. I pay $150/month for it all, and I have a pretty high up cable & internet package. I like it personally... Also emails me when the alarm is armed or disarmed as well and the head unit keeps track of when doors are opened and closed, etc. Those features could be extremely useful for people with kids I imagine. Just nice to know what's happening at the house when I'm not there.

You can also create separate codes which is kind of neat. For example you can give a contractor a special code so they can disarm the system within a specific time frame and you know who disarmed it (so if something were to walk off for example you know who used the code at that specific time).

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I went with a new ADT system with Pulse, had it about a year or so. I had a $200 off discount card I got from a friend, so it ended up being a little cheaper then the two other companies I priced. I have a sensor on every door and window in the house. I also have some sheet glass (or whatever it's called) windows around my kitchen table that don't open, so I had them install glass break detectors by those. I also have an extra keypad and full mobile monitoring. All the equipment with installation was about $500, and I pay about $40 a month in monitoring including fire, police, ems, and the full mobile access. So far we like it. I had two falses, both my fault, and they called within two minutes both times.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We had a system installed as part of our house build 14 years ago. The monitoring was up to us. We choose Brinks at the time, never had a reason to switch.

For the new place, so far I have done all the alarm work on the shop. It is a wireless GSM system. Have multiple motion sensors, door sensors on all 4 of the bay doors and the pedestrian door. Have an internal siren and an external siren with a flashing strobe. Got it set up with a battery backup. And have it programmed to text myself and my wife if a sensor is tripped. I could also program it to call the authorities and play a recording giving the address and my contact info if I chose to. But considering that I can be there in 15 minutes and the sheriff department could take however friggin long they want to take (the only time they have been called it took them 3 hours to show up) I didn't see the point in doing so.

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
Looking into this now. Was thinking of getting something simple like Simplisafe or Smith Thompson and a standalone video surveillance system. Anyone's done some updates or tried out new products? Read great things about the new Netgear Arlo Pro system.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back