Need help with floor squeak

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Nasty metallic-sounding squeak coming from the floor in the living room of the new house.
Sounds like it might be coming from behind the wall - I even cut out a piece of the drywall to see if I could investigate a bit, but found nothing that would cause it.
Anybody have any thoughts?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
is there by chance any sheet metal ductwork below the floor?

Not that I know of.
The house used to have electric heat, replaced a bunch of years back with forced hot water.

That wall used to have a baseboard there, I had somebody move it to another wall, since I plan to have that be the TV location.

So there used to be copper pipes going through to the basement below, bot not anymore.
Also, the ceiling below is all finished, so not easy to investigate from below.

Wicked GT

OCD with ADD...
Reaction score
Hmmmm, sounds like either a warped sub-floor or heating ducts. sucks you can't see from underneath. Does the floor feel like it moves when you walk on it? Wonder if maybe the joist is making the noise?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Hmmmm, sounds like either a warped sub-floor or heating ducts. sucks you can't see from underneath. Does the floor feel like it moves when you walk on it? Wonder if maybe the joist is making the noise?

No, the floor feels solid. I screwed down ALL the floorboards in the house, eliminated all the squeaks except this one.
It sounds like it's coming from underneath the base plate, maybe the plywood sub-flooring rubbing against the end-joist?

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try screwing the subfloor to the joist and angle some into the subfloor by the wall. If that does not work invest in a $99 snake cam and drill a hole in the basement ceiling and put the snake cam in and see what the issue is. With the snake cam you will only have to patch a nickel size hole. Also, you are sure all of the copper was removed?

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
pull any and all nails that you can acess from the toeplate of the wall with a nailpuller, then screw the toeplate to the plywood beneath it w/ 2 1/2" coarse thread drywall screws. Try to hit the joists and try to "suck" up the plywood too the bottom of the toeplate as well

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like metal scraping on metal. So I wouldn't think its plywood scraping on a joist.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
What does the outside wall look like in that area? I wonder if there is some metal flashing that the floor is rubbing against. It still shouldn't move like that. You say it feels solid, but it has to be moving for it to squeak. You might have a nail or something that didn't go square in the joist and is rubbing something, but that would mean it happened all across the floor.

Since it is all the way down the wall it is going to be a pain to repair. This is kind of extreme, but you might try and pull up one sheet of the plywood and see if there's something you can see then.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Noise went away after the hardwood floor installation, so I stopped caring about it over a year ago, lol

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
LOL. When I saw the title to the Thread I was not expecting a House concern. I was so ready to tell you to just turn up the radio!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back