Home automation/security

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
What are you guys running in regards to home automation? Trying decide do I piece together, don't want to spend a ton

1.) WiFi light switches, we do not have streetlights so can be very dark pulling up to house, I'd rather be able to flip the lights on rather than motion sensors or timers. It would also be convenient to be able to turn outside lights on from anywhere in the house, like the backyard flood lights while in my bedroom. Or turn lights on & off while away.

2.) WiFi thermostats, I have 2 old school dial thermostats for gas baseboard water heat, would be nice to be able to turn it down from anywhere if I go away and forget to

3.) Camera's to supplement security system while away, I had a false alarm a while back, motion sensor tripped but with only 1 camera couldn't tell if something was happening or not. Would kind of like dvr too

Currently have Comcast Xfinity security setup with 1 camera

slow06stang

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went with the Iris system from lowes with cameras, heat/motion sensors(basement one goes off when the heat kicks on if I close the playroom door) outlet controls, garage door, font door, door window sensors, and thermostat. I have done a camera system only for an older customer in Ferguson. It was a Swann. It has a great picture on all 6 cameras. She loves it

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
I've been reading up on this a lot but haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I'm tempted to go with a Smartthings Hub and build around it.

Let me k ow how your project goes.

I did just order an Echo. Might get the Phillips lux/hues and go with that too.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Even as led bulbs, I'd rather the wifi part be a switch so if bulb burns out I am not losing the wifi component. So I figure start here, throw these bulbs few random places to test functionality and then if works to my satisfaction move on to buying switches for outdoor floods/circuits of multiple lights.

mitchell20501

forum member
Reaction score
I went with this Arlo system from bestbuy. Its completely wireless all I had to do is plug the Arlo box to Ethernet and plug it into the wall and it's done. You just sync and hang cameras from there. https://vimeo.com/142698511 that was from my driveway yesterday. it all goes to a app on my cellphone. When ever someone walks by one or drives up it starts recording and sends me a text. Can also watch live view if I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
I bought this WiFi Honeywell last year and it's been great. The app allows you to program what temperature you want it at for certain times on certain days.

For example, now that it's in the cool months I like to wake up with it fairly warm so I programmed it to hit 72° at 5am, and when I leave it's set to turn off and turn back on right before I get home at 3.

Worth every penny IMO.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_171234-74493-RTH6580WF1001/U1_1z10xtr__?productId=999914795&pl=1

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
taurus-1-tau_2_440089.jpg

mitchell20501

forum member
Reaction score
Own some of those also. They work great when I'm there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I bought this WiFi Honeywell last year and it's been great. The app allows you to program what temperature you want it at for certain times on certain days.

For example, now that it's in the cool months I like to wake up with it fairly warm so I programmed it to hit 72° at 5am, and when I leave it's set to turn off and turn back on right before I get home at 3.

Worth every penny IMO.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_171234-74493-RTH6580WF1001/U1_1z10xtr__?productId=999914795&pl=1

Yah that's what I was considering, I just need to pull my old rotary style thermostats to see what i have wiring wise. I can't see spending for the Nest, especially when I need 2. But geez, 72! I turn mine to 60 when I'm awake, lower when sleeping/away

Except when you're not home

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I can't see spending for the Nest,

Well I may have to retract that statement, my old house only has 2 wires and now it seems Nest can work with that in most cases. It also seems the wiring runs across the finish basement ceiling so not easy replacement. It might be worth it just to spend more on the thermostats than fight with running wire myself or pay an electrician to do it

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
I had somebody steal some tools from my carport once so I came up with a redneck idea.

My redneck security system was a motion light. But I took out the bulb and replaced it with a 110 socket. Connected an old cassette player to it. The tape was the sound of a pump action shotgun. The motion light was set for 30 seconds so I repeated the sound every 30 seconds on the tape. Never lost anything else.

Johnf78

forum member
Reaction score
Has anybody tried an August Smart Lock? I like that it is only mounted on the inside, so you can't tell it is there.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back