Advice Please!

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
I'm finally at a point when I can dump money into my car. (05 GT) Though I find a 2017 GT PP calling my name next spring. From those of you who have the S550..Is it worth the car payment? (over a paid off 3v) I work 6 days a week (thanks Directv) so my car gets driven maybe 800 miles a year. (winters in garage) so it will never be a daily driver.
I'm just looking for educated opinions from those with the S550. Any regrets buying it new? Gripes and complaints? Should have done this..or would have done that if I had known. Ect. Thanks.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Can't relate with regard to buying new S550, but can with regard to buying a brand new loaded 13 GT Premium in June 12. I wouldn't do it again. I'll buy a 1-2 year old low mile vehicle with most of what I want on it rather than take it in the back side on the OTC depreciation that comes with a new car. Unless of course you plan on keeping it for 5 years or more.

I would look at 15's personally if you want a S550. All the looks and benefits of the 17 (I guess) without the new car depreciation that tags your back side as you drive over the curb. I am sure 15's can be found with really low mileage. I found my 14 last November with 2100 miles on it.

Good luck.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Can't relate with regard to buying new S550, but can with regard to buying a brand new loaded 13 GT Premium in June 12. I wouldn't do it again. I'll buy a 1-2 year old low mile vehicle with most of what I want on it rather than take it in the back side on the OTC depreciation that comes with a new car. Unless of course you plan on keeping it for 5 years or more.

I would look at 15's personally if you want a S550. All the looks and benefits of the 17 (I guess) without the new car depreciation that tags your back side as you drive over the curb. I am sure 15's can be found with really low mileage. I found my 14 last November with 2100 miles on it.

Good luck.

Yeah I would be keeping this car for as long as I can drive. So I'm not worried about resale value. Just want to know if the S550 platform is enough of an upgrade over my 3v.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
435 HP all forged internals. Capable of handling a lot more upgrade than your 3 V. At lot more. As far as ride, couldn't tell you. I am not sold on the looks of the S550 from the front. Go automatic though. IMO the 3650 Tremec is a better and more reliable transmission than the MT-82 Getrag which btw is assembled in China. I had zero issues with my 3650 in my 05 making 507RWHP to the ground

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At 800 miles a year, mod the 05.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I want to watch this thread.

I keep thinking about turning my 06 into a drag car because that is the direction it is going then get another s197 as a handling/street car. I am torn between applying all the knowledge I already have on the s197 or starting new with the s550 and its IRS.

To lots of guys outside the mustang world this seems like a no-brainer. But to those in the know s197's have been built to beat the best.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
435 HP all forged internals. Capable of handling a lot more upgrade than your 3 V. At lot more. As far as ride, couldn't tell you. I am not sold on the looks of the S550 from the front. Go automatic though. IMO the 3650 Tremec is a better and more reliable transmission than the MT-82 Getrag which btw is assembled in China. I had zero issues with my 3650 in my 05 making 507RWHP to the ground

I am well aware of the issues with the 82 but I will never buy a AUTO mustang. The 2017 would be getting a tremec magum when I feel the 82 starting to pissed me off. Shifting is just to much fun to give up.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
So this is how the 05 sits now. Havn't driven it since Sunday.

It has issues that are easily fixed.
-fuel fill shut off issue
-seat belt slack
-O2 downstream sensor low voltage
-gear wine (4.10s I had installed years ago)
-VCT Ticking sound passage side head
-needs paint job

The Good
-315/30/18 Toyo NT01s in rear with 80% left
-275/35/18 Toyo NT01S in front with 70% left
-2008 GT500 brembos in front.
-engine bay wire tuck done.
-eibach front and rear springs
-BMR Panhard bar and brace

I guess it comes down to if I want a project car that I can build or a turn key refined car that I can modify some. (Wouldn't want to lose factory warrenty)

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I am well aware of the issues with the 82 but I will never buy a AUTO mustang. The 2017 would be getting a tremec magum when I feel the 82 starting to pissed me off. Shifting is just to much fun to give up.

That's what I said for years. "You'll never catch me driving a slush box". You can teach an old dog new tricks. Then I test drove a 2014 Ruby Red (Vortech setup Lund tuned) owned by Terry Reeves (teambeefcakeracing.com) and realized how much fun an automatic could really be.

I drive mine on longer cruises and takes trips in it. I have gotten to the age that fighting a competition clutch in heavy traffic just isn't worth it. And to give you an idea of efficiency I ran 11.18@ 125.6mph last evening in 3000DA with 530RWHP. A young buck friend of mine (I say that respectfully) has a 16 with a Roush setup and aftermarket tuned (not the crappy Roush tune), making about 590RWHP with an MT-82 and was not able to get better than 11.69@ 124. We were both on the exact same DR.

Just sharing with you my change of conviction. Not trying to lure you to the slush box side. I encourage you to go with your gut on that.

It does take more patience when tuning an auto after power adders and so forth with regard to getting shift points correct and so forth, but I've got patience. But it is nice to drive to the track, bust off a season best of 11.03 in this car and drive home. My 13 stick shift made 568 on the same exact setup and went a best of 11.49 in late fall air that was super DA for this area.

Last edited:

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
That's what I said for years. "You'll never catch me driving a slush box". You can teach an old dog new tricks. Then I test drove a 2014 Ruby Red (Vortech setup Lund tuned) owned by Terry Reeves (teambeefcakeracing.com) and realized how much fun an automatic could really be.

I drive mine on longer cruises and takes trips in it. I have gotten to the age that fighting a competition clutch in heavy traffic just isn't worth it. And to give you an idea of efficiency I ran 11.18@ 125.6mph last evening in 3000DA with 530RWHP. A young buck friend of mine (I say that respectfully) has a 16 with a Roush setup and aftermarket tuned (not the crappy Roush tune), making about 590RWHP with an MT-82 and was not able to get better than 11.69@ 124. We were both on the exact same DR.

Just sharing with you my change of conviction. Not trying to lure you to the slush box side. I encourage you to go with your gut on that.

It does take more patience when tuning an auto after power adders and so forth with regard to getting shift points correct and so forth, but I've got patience. But it is nice to drive to the track, bust off a season best of 11.03 in this car and drive home. My 13 stick shift made 568 on the same exact setup and went a best of 11.49 in late fall air that was super DA for this area.

^ oh if I was all about the 1320 I would be all about an auto but one 20 min track session has me hooked on the twisties!! Love me some G force around corners. From what I've read an auto is mod for mod going to be faster in the 1/4. I appriciate your opinion. Thanks

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
In every way, except your driving habits, the S550 is a better platform/choice. As previously mentioned, it has a forged internals, better valves than the previous Coyotes, and Boss spec exhaust cams. There is definitely a noticeable difference in handling over the live axle cars. People can say what they want about the MT-82, but having owned two of them, they're not without their quirks, but they haven't been a regretful choice either. Like you, I don't plan on taking this car to the local strip and beatin' the piss out of it.

Eibach Sportlines were on my '03, my '08, my '11, and now my '16. With each newer model it rode better and better. On the '16 it's almost damn near to stock ride quality with the exception of major road imperfections and bumps.

If you feel that your seat time will justify the payment, then I think it's a no-brainer. The car has progressed with each model, and the S550 is the largest jump forward of any generation, IMO, in the last 12 years. It took me a while to get on board with the looks, but now I'm absolutely in love with it.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^ oh if I was all about the 1320 I would be all about an auto but one 20 min track session has me hooked on the twisties!! Love me some G force around corners. From what I've read an auto is mod for mod going to be faster in the 1/4. I appriciate your opinion. Thanks

AH! Then I would def remain in a stick shift car then, no doubt. The MT-82 isn't so bad in that scenario when coupled with an MGW shifter and a respectable clutch setup. I never had shifting issues with mine, but was always scared it was going to go poof!

I've recently heard the same comment about corner carving quoted from a friend of mine.

Sorry, I just assume most are going to be running 0.25. You'll love the independent rear suspension on the S550 for corner carving also.

Work less....play more. LOL! That will justify the new car as much as keeping it for a long time.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Pros: Interior, Suspension, Revised/Upgraded Coyote, Fit and Finish, Standard features are quite awesome even on a Base Model.

Looks are subjective.

Cons: none minus the payment.

The MT-82 is a solid transmission, yes, there are MT-82s with issues but I've had two in two separate 5.0s and they were rock solid.

If you're not ready for a car payment, DO NOT TEST DRIVE ONE lol

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Find a used Roush R2300 kit, get a fuel pump booster and pulley it for 9-10 psi, get a tune from lito.

Fin. You might want some 3.73's.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Find a used Roush R2300 kit, get a fuel pump booster and pulley it for 9-10 psi, get a tune from lito.

Fin. You might want some 3.73's.

^^ yeah I'm still trying to decide what to do with car. I was looking at doing a full 2007-2009 gt500 swap. Then again those cars are so cheap now I probably would just buy one outright as to not have a "clone." Am looking into s&h twin kit for the 3v as well. Obviously I would jeep car and build motor. With the turbo i would go with 3.31 or 3.15 gears I think.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I work 6 days a week (thanks Directv) so my car gets driven MAYBE 800 miles a year. (winters in garage) so it will never be a daily driver.

If you are only gonna put 800 miles a year on it.... I'd just lease a new S-550 for 2-4 months each year. Dunno how much that would amount to, but I'm sure in the long or short term it would be a bargain.

Take the depreciation on any car, then factor in the miles you have put on it, and it will make you gag if you don't put many miles on it. IE: 'X' dollars PER MILE.

The S-550 has adjustable rear camber...right outa the box, like up to as much as -2.7 degs. Toss in some adjustable front camber....then the IRS, and you can see why it will handle better than a S-197.

Then we all see these new S-550's... complete with Roush 727 hp engine.... for $38K.

800 miles per year = 2.19 miles per day.

I think if I had to do this again, I'd wait till next year, then try and buy a used, low mileage 2016.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I would not try to convert a GT to a GT500. By time you are done you will be wishing you had sold your car and forked over the difference for an actual GT500 that will have value when you decide to sell it.

With older cars and ever some 90's and 00's cars if you want to upgrade to the 'sport' trim you can just swap the motor, change the springs and shocks, change the wheels and you'r basically there. Converting a GT to a GT500 is going to be a lot of wiring, wire harnesses, rerouting cooling lines, getting all the brackets, and making the square GT500 peg fit in the round GT hole. There is even a wiring harness in the trunk that is different that the GT500 ecu needs to talk to.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
I would not try to convert a GT to a GT500. By time you are done you will be wishing you had sold your car and forked over the difference for an actual GT500 that will have value when you decide to sell it.

With older cars and ever some 90's and 00's cars if you want to upgrade to the 'sport' trim you can just swap the motor, change the springs and shocks, change the wheels and you'r basically there. Converting a GT to a GT500 is going to be a lot of wiring, wire harnesses, rerouting cooling lines, getting all the brackets, and making the square GT500 peg fit in the round GT hole. There is even a wiring harness in the trunk that is different that the GT500 ecu needs to talk to.

^yeah it would be a big swap. Im not afraid of any wiring job after doing my gt wire tuck a few years ago. But it's just a matter of time and is it worth it. I don't think so. Probably a better idea just to buy a gt500'and sell my gt at this point. I dunno

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
If you are only gonna put 800 miles a year on it.... I'd just lease a new S-550 for 2-4 months each year. Dunno how much that would amount to, but I'm sure in the long or short term it would be a bargain.

Take the depreciation on any car, then factor in the miles you have put on it, and it will make you gag if you don't put many miles on it. IE: 'X' dollars PER MILE.

The S-550 has adjustable rear camber...right outa the box, like up to as much as -2.7 degs. Toss in some adjustable front camber....then the IRS, and you can see why it will handle better than a S-197.

Then we all see these new S-550's... complete with Roush 727 hp engine.... for $38K.

800 miles per year = 2.19 miles per day.

I think if I had to do this again, I'd wait till next year, then try and buy a used, low mileage 2016.

^ I told myself I wanted to buy just one new vehicle in my life so I can go threw the new car dealer experience. New car smell. Ect. ext. I know those of you who have done it will say it's overrated and such, but I would like to just do it just once. Not saying it has to be a new S550 or anything. Though since im in the market (possible) for a new Mustang. Why not? (Hence this conversation). Though I would like a f250 at some point soon as well...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back