Cost of a new full re-paint of the car, same colors.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
So a local guy quoted me 10k to redo my car white with the blue stripes down the middle. Phew that sounds like a lot, but he is considered the best around.

Anyone have their car painted here?

I've considered vinyl wrap but.. i have a couple little body scratches that would most definitely show up under the wrap.

Was even considering doing a plasti-dip but it just doesn't have the shine I want.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
really depends on what they are going to do. if it's done "right" all the panels will come off, doors off, engine dropped out, etc, it's a lot of work. then coats of paint/clear etc

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
I asked the same question at a highly respected body shop in my area. I had the new hood and front bumper done. The painted the hood bumper and blended both front fenders. The cost was 1500 for that. I was told if needed no body work at all 3500 but I had some dents and dings. Rough est to fix that was 5k give or take they said.

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
if it's done PROPERLY it'll cost you a packet. If it's a cheap 'blow job' it won't. You can reduce the prices on the former by doing a lot of the prep work yourself but as with most things worthwhile it'll still cost. The latter you really don't want (in a motoring sense at any rate)

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With autobody work, you mist defineitly get what you pay for.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Doesn't sound too far out there. I did a full repaint of my original Black color on my Bullitt (never was happy with factory paint) and it cost about $5500~

A full repaint in a different color (to do it right) will easily add on a significant amount of money.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Not sure how accurate I am on this, but if they are just shooting the same color, do all the panels and what not need to come off? I mean you are just wanting the exterior done right, not the trunk and engine bay and door jambs rights? I would think that it would be in the 2-3k range for a full exterior paint and the proper prep.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I guess it all depends and the extent of the work. I had my trunk and hood shaved (filled in rear sat wart, and washer nozzles) so they came off and I had my quarter glass replaced since it was delaminating at the corners. Plus had the antenna shaved. Rear window was also replaced. Door jams were not touched.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm probably going to keep shopping around, I'd feel better in the 5k range honestly. It doesn't need to be a full engine out show level quality job.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I know a lot of guys have chimed in already, but I will add that a few years ago, I was going to get a full respray on a car I used to own (same color), and one of the best shops in Huntsville with a great reputation for doing quality work quoted me $5k.

Grimlock

forum member
Reaction score
I know a lot of guys have chimed in already, but I will add that a few years ago, I was going to get a full respray on a car I used to own (same color), and one of the best shops in Huntsville with a great reputation for doing quality work quoted me $5k.

Hook a fellow Rocketeer up with that shop's name, will ya? :clap:

I've got some paintwork that needs to happen.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I asked my buddy that owns the shop where we did my car, he said 9k would have been about retail on my deal. We shaved the 3rd brake light, antennas, and emblems as we as removed the glass and trim from the car. You have to pull my carpet up to find the original color anywhere.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
When you consider MAACO would charge roughly a grand to do a base/clear, things get into perspective pretty fast.

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Might take an autobody class at the local tech school over winter lol

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Might take an autobody class at the local tech school over winter lol

My buddy is doing that right now and he said it's basically a shop you pay them to use and they have techs around to help teach you what to do. Do your research on it first because that wasn't exactly what he was looking for

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
i am a auto body tech.
it first depends on where you are located. in larger cities it can be more expensive than somewhere out in the sticks. stated another way 10K in new york might be 5K in new mexico.
also it depends on what is actually done. a scuff and respray might be 4K and a complete disassembly , strip, prime and block sand, respray, cut and buff to smooth could be 20K.
it also depends on what products they use and what color it is. at our shop we use PPG waterbase products. for a good complete it might be over 5K in just materials. some tints are $750 for 4 ounces of tint.
another thing to consider it the warranty provided by the shop. we are a PPG certified shop. all of our paint jobs are covered by a lifetime against defects in workmanship and materials. this warranty is for the original purchaser only. PPG pays for re-do's if their products fail. in the 30 years i have worked at this shop i think i have had less than 10 jobs fail.
with that said. at our shop a a paint job with the exterior trim removed, bumpers, fixed glass removed. a few dents repaired, sprayed then lightly de-nibbed and buffed probably would be around 9K.

Last edited:

demarcom

forum member
Reaction score
Lots of cash for a paint job. If you are doing it, do it for yourself, because I am sure you will not get your money back when selling.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I'm not knowledgeable on the paint game, but some of these numbers just shock me. lol
5-10k to paint a car!? I am only thinking a repaint of the same color and don't know what is involved, don't see why they would have to take the whole car apart though.

Sand, mask up, shoot paint, shoot clear, buff a bit... right? 5-10k!? you can buy a supercharger and a daily driver for that.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
Sand, mask up, shoot paint, shoot clear, buff a bit... right? 5-10k!? you can buy a supercharger and a daily driver for that.

it depends on how you want it done.
if you want it done with cheap materials and so so workmanship you can get a car painted for less than 1K.
i can do a quick complete paint job in 3 days. may not be perfect but it's a paint job.
if you want it done properly, it looks better than when you bought the car new and will last that costs a LOT more.
quality base coat can cost over $3000 a GALLON. i have painted some reds with a lot of pearl in the base coat can cost $1000 a QUART.
quality clear coat costs close to $1000 a gallon.
quality primers and sealers are $500 gallon.
now the time to do the job. quality paint jobs will take about 2 WEEKS to do, about 80 - 100 hours, and that's not blocking out the car that good. you want it smooth as glass and straight as a arrow figure on tippling the time quoted. at our labor rate of $58 hour it adds up FAST.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back