Custom 8.8 build

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy an 8.8 rear end housing off of a friend for $100.00. I want to build it with a Posi Differential and 4.10 gears. I'm new at this, so I have no idea what parts or materials are needed to complete a task like this. Is there a list anyone could point me to a list that would outline everything needed to build an 8.8 Rear End?

Just to clarify. The bare housing is what I would be buying. It comes with nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
American Muscle will have pretty much everything you need in kit form

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
If you're looking for stock components, like axles, gears, and the differential, members here often sell good used ones.

The one thing in the empty case that I hope is still there are the differential bearing caps. Everything else can be (and often is) replaced.

A far as how to do it, you kind of should know what you're doing. There are several critical steps that must be done right in terms of measurements and clearances, in addition to torque specs. Find someone who can do it for you. I usually tell people what parts to get and then do the work with them or for them.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I kind of figured I'd be biting off more than I can chew by trying to undertake this all by myself. I appreciate your honesty.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I kind of figured I'd be biting off more than I can chew by trying to undertake this all by myself. I appreciate your honesty.
Ben,

Unless you are a really great mechanic with years of experience in driveline and rear-ends I would not even consider doing this yourself.

It is one of those things that is either (Right or Wrong) !!!

Terry

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back