Vorshlag 2011 Mustang 5.0 GT - track/autocross/street Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score
... to the driver of the black TTS S197 Mustang, and it is a soon-to-be-AI car but he was running on Hoosiers, makes 400 whp with a 351W, and the car was about 200 pounds lighter than our '11. It looks like I was only catching him under braking, and most of that into turn 7....

Terry,

...that was my brother Mark...a former World Challenge Porsche owner/driver that has recently moved back to TX after a hiatus from racing...the car is a body-in-white that he is prepping and was getting some seat time on this weekend...it was a great surprise to see his car in your post!.

David

MadMustang

Reaction score
Terry, it was nice meeting you and Amy, you guy's are very fast! Just to clear somethings up, don't want any AI guys to think my car isn't legal. My wrhp is 365, about 15hp shy of what i'm allowed for a 3,435 lb car, it was my wrtq that was 400, still legal and i was running on 275's all around. You were right about my brakes, they weren't stopping me, i had to use the tranny to slow the car down, losing time in turns 1 & 7. Sorry about not giving you a waive by, i was going to on the next straight, i had just run my 1:58.6 the prior lap and was trying to best it when i spun! (first time at the track). I wish i had my Medical waiver, it would have been fun running against the AI guys, just glad i won't have to run against you and Amy anymore! LOL!

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Terry, it was nice meeting you and Amy, you guy's are very fast! Just to clear somethings up, don't want any AI guys to think my car isn't legal. My wrhp is 365, about 15hp shy of what i'm allowed for a 3,435 lb car, it was my wrtq that was 400, still legal and i was running on 275's all around. You were right about my brakes, they weren't stopping me, i had to use the tranny to slow the car down, losing time in turns 1 & 7. Sorry about not giving you a waive by, i was going to on the next straight, i had just run my 1:58.6 the prior lap and was trying to best it when i spun! (first time at the track). I wish i had my Medical waiver, it would have been fun running against the AI guys, just glad i won't have to run against you and Amy anymore! LOL!
Thanks for getting my numbers straight, Mark. It was nice meeting you at the event, and congrats on the 1:58.6 lap! That would beat the new AI qualifying record. And as you know, ECR is brutal on brakes. And you didn't hold me up, as I ran my fastest lap of the day during "that lap". :D As for the brakes, we've had pretty good luck at the various Texas tracks with front brake ducting + Porterfield R4 pads on otherwise stock 14" Brembo brakes.

DSC_5292-S.jpg
302s-exhaust-S.jpg

This week at Vorshlag we're working on the current NASA AI/ECR record holder's S197 in our shop right now, Mark Smith's Boss 302-S. We've already found several things to improve, repair, update, and make lighter. The exhaust on his S was almost bone stock (stock manifolds, cat-delete center section, with GT500 mufflers) so we're making a custom X-style lightweight exhaust system now, as well as doing some other upgrades. This system will be tucked into the tunnel and dump right at the rear axle, likely saving 35+ pounds over the OEM bits. Once we get the exhaust finished (later today) I'll show the exact weight lost then we'll shoot a little video of the car, with some sound numbers.

DSC_2801-M.jpg

One of the many unique parts we've seen on this 302-S was the carbon fiber front backing plates with an integral 4" duct. These are quite a bit larger than the 3" ducting/hoses we run on our car and might be worth upgrading to for S197s that see extreme brake abuse.

Again - nice meeting you at ECR and hopefully we'll see you in the AI race group next time. :)

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
What mufflers? How loud is it? I've been considering a similar arrangement on the CP car. I've had good results with Dynomax Race Bullets, but I'm a bit concerned that they won't be sufficient for the 93 dB sound limit we have in ATL.

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
What mufflers? How loud is it? I've been considering a similar arrangement on the CP car. I've had good results with Dynomax Race Bullets, but I'm a bit concerned that they won't be sufficient for the 93 dB sound limit we have in ATL.

Those are stainless 3" Magnaflow race mufflers and 316L mandrel bent tubing sections TIG welded together. Ryan is doing the final welding this morning and then we'll fire it up and see how it sounds. I doubt it will make 93 dB requirements, but who knows?

DSC_5302-S.jpg
DSC_5303-S.jpg

Mark's 302-S was the quietest car in the CMC/AI race group before, but it won't be for long. :evil:

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that is going to be super loud and raspy as hell. I don't see any way those 3" resonators are going to do enough for you. It looks cool and seems well built but I would bet you guys will add another muffler.

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score

Are you referring to the new AMP and their silly noise restrictions? If so, I ran there earlier this year without issues. Though they were measuring 10' off track instead of 50'. Anyway, even with longtubes and o/r h, I was under the measurement with the bullitt mufflers. And they have relaxed their measuring a little I hear.

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the new AMP and their silly noise restrictions? If so, I ran there earlier this year without issues. Though they were measuring 10' off track instead of 50'. Anyway, even with longtubes and o/r h, I was under the measurement with the bullitt mufflers. And they have relaxed their measuring a little I hear.

Nah - Atlanta Region AutoX. 93dB @ 50'.

speedform

Reaction score
^^^so are the carbon brake cooling backing plates standard on the 302-S? Or were these fabbed up on the fly?

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Finished the custom exhaust on Mark's Boss 302-S. This system knocked 46 pounds out of the race car (+ another 30 pounds in the light battery install).

JPGEDITwarpBETTERUntitled_Panorama1%20copy%203-M.jpg

I'm guessing that is going to be super loud and raspy as hell. I don't see any way those 3" resonators are going to do enough for you. It looks cool and seems well built but I would bet you guys will add another muffler.

click above for sound test video

Made a peak of 95 dB in two drive-by tests at 50'.

Cheers,

Last edited:

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know about anyone else but I think it sounds great.....

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, I was wrong, it sounds great. Nice job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back