*Official* BBQ N' Smoker thread

dv8uagain

Worthless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did a bunch of mods to the smoker I have here at the house. My good one is at my moms I don't have the room for it here. I made heat baffles and sealed any open gaps with a high temp food grade caulk and used fire place rope to insulate the lid as well as to seal any gaps. another thing on the list i have been thinking about doing for this one which its just a chargriller outlaw is to bend a second piece of metal to mimic the inside and line with a type of insulation make it double walled.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I love smoking a brisket on my Traeger. 8 hours or so and it's good to go. I like a dry rub but mostly like a cajun marinade and basting every hour or so. Cooking one this weekend.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Here's a copy of a post I made over in the "Pitstop: Whats On The Grill" thread.
I'm actually in the market for a "smoker on a trailer"
I've got a couple places asking me to cater some events for them this year.
Who knew!
A hobby & passion...possibly turning into income!

Anyway, hope you enjoy pics of some of my foods.
Here's the copy......

My shop was pretty much a disaster area and my big grills are there. I took the time today to cleanup the war zone while I smoked a couple butts and a rack of babybacks. The grill I used today is first time I've used it, had it over a year now...Weber Performer. This grill is cream of the crop for charcoal grills.

DRY RUB
1c. Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Onion Powder
1 TBSP Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TSP Chili Powder
1 TSP Salt

BBQ Sauce
Guys, after thinking about it...I can't give the recipe up. I can't tell you the hours & dollars I spent coming up with this recipe. I apologize for saying I would.

Baked Beans
1 Large Can Campbell's Pork & Beans, drained
1/2 Med. Onion, chopped
Brown Sugar...add to your liking (remember, as it cooks, it gets sweeter...so be careful)
BBQ Meat...add to your liking

Cook on 350 until onions become soft, about an hour.

bbq_zps19239dd3.jpg

bbqplate_zps6677cc09.jpg

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I love smoking a brisket on my Traeger. 8 hours or so and it's good to go. I like a dry rub but mostly like a cajun marinade and basting every hour or so. Cooking one this weekend.

Which Traeger? I want to try some smoking and these seem to be dummy proof.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great thread Kimmer!!
I love to slow smoke, I have an kamodo style smoker and mostly do pork shoulders. I make a mean dry run that I use and I usually smoke 3 at a time, which takes about 10-11 hrs at 275*.

I have tried most of the brands of lump and I prefer the Royal, works well, is fairly inexpensive and is readily available at Walmart. I am also going to do some Brisket this year and I love to do chickens on the smoker.

Earl

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Great thread Kimmer!!
I love to slow smoke, I have an kamodo style smoker and mostly do pork shoulders. I make a mean dry run that I use and I usually smoke 3 at a time, which takes about 10-11 hrs at 275*.

I have tried most of the brands of lump and I prefer the Royal, works well, is fairly inexpensive and is readily available at Walmart. I am also going to do some Brisket this year and I love to do chickens on the smoker.

Earl

Sounds like you need to have an s197forum get together....... :beer:

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Here's a copy of a post I made over in the "Pitstop: Whats On The Grill" thread.
I'm actually in the market for a "smoker on a trailer"
I've got a couple places asking me to cater some events for them this year.
Who knew!
A hobby & passion...possibly turning into income!

Anyway, hope you enjoy pics of some of my foods.
Here's the copy......

My shop was pretty much a disaster area and my big grills are there. I took the time today to cleanup the war zone while I smoked a couple butts and a rack of babybacks. The grill I used today is first time I've used it, had it over a year now...Weber Performer. This grill is cream of the crop for charcoal grills.

DRY RUB
1c. Brown Sugar
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TBSP Onion Powder
1 TBSP Paprika
1 TBSP Black Pepper
1 TSP Chili Powder
1 TSP Salt

BBQ Sauce
Guys, after thinking about it...I can't give the recipe up. I can't tell you the hours & dollars I spent coming up with this recipe. I apologize for saying I would.

Baked Beans
1 Large Can Campbell's Pork & Beans, drained
1/2 Med. Onion, chopped
Brown Sugar...add to your liking (remember, as it cooks, it gets sweeter...so be careful)
BBQ Meat...add to your liking

Cook on 350 until onions become soft, about an hour.

bbq_zps19239dd3.jpg

bbqplate_zps6677cc09.jpg

I don't blame you on not wanting to share your sauce. I started by trying different recipes online and then changing them until it was what I wanted. Was a good way to learn how to make sauce. I have a friend at work that has been bugging me for my sauce recipe and I won't give it up either. Hell, I won't even give my sister in law my slaw recipe. .lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Great thread Kimmer!!

Earl

I came across a killer deal on a char griller kamado for $215 new and that thing gets rave reviews! Bought an aldurins (sp) temp controller and a wireless temp prob setup for this year. I really want to find a supply of maple lump but its hard to find a supplier with one type of wood in the bag. I might just throw chunks of wood in the bottom for the smoke instead. I have plenty of maple and oak around my area.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I came across a killer deal on a char griller kamado for $215 new and that thing gets rave reviews! Bought an aldurins (sp) temp controller and a wireless temp prob setup for this year. I really want to find a supply of maple lump but its hard to find a supplier with one type of wood in the bag. I might just throw chunks of wood in the bottom for the smoke instead. I have plenty of maple and oak around my area.

I have had good results with Charcoal Champion chips. I know they make a Maple chip but I haven't tried them yet.

Earl

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Smoked Salmon
Getting maple syrup basted before a good smoke!!
Every month I smoke up about 3-6 Coho.
Girlfriend is starting to get the hang of it too.
Delicious

Feb2013239.jpg

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
Can't wait to start smoking and BBQ'ing every weekend again. Finally starting to get good at it and want to start making my own rubs/sauces too! I felt like BBQ'ing today but it's too late to start slow cooking stuff by the time the wife gets off work. Maybe tomorrow

QWIKFIX

forum member
Reaction score
Bacon wrapped, pulled pork and cream cheese filled jalapenos...split, stuff, wrap then smoke for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 200 degrees

2012-12-01_16-07-20_687_zps823e776c.jpg
2012-12-01_18-49-57_275_zps52e73b9a.jpg

brianadams03

forum member
Reaction score
Smoked my third shoulder of the year last weekend and did it a little differently(never do any of it the same cause I'm always experimenting). Decided to inject it with almost the same thing I used for the rub(mix of cayenne, red pepper, paprika, brown sugar, white sugar, a Apple Smoked BBQ rub and a few other things laying around) and it turned out awesome. The meat itself is very very flavorful and almost worth not putting any sauce on(I use a mix of Jack Daniels, Sweet baby rays, and another off brand usually), and I'm big on if it's not wet, I'm not touching it when it comes to bbq. I used half cherry and half apple wood for the first smoke, then after an hour or two of that, full on apple. Ended up changing my normal apple juice and brown sugar spritzing(water bottle in pic) to a basting of the left over injection juice.... Bark turned out perfect along with a really nice smoke ring. I've let a few people try it, and they've already asked for some the next time I make it..... Now if only I could remember the amounts of everything I used lol

Next on my list is probably going to be a duck(or two). Any recommendation on it?

And before I get reamed about using an electric smoker... don't care haha, it's put out some damn good meat and don't have the prep time you would with a charcoal one.
IMG_14661.jpg

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Bacon wrapped, pulled pork and cream cheese filled jalapenos...split, stuff, wrap then smoke for 2 to 2 1/2 hours at 200 degrees

2012-12-01_16-07-20_687_zps823e776c.jpg
2012-12-01_18-49-57_275_zps52e73b9a.jpg

I make the same things except I mix the cream cheese with mild cheddar cheese. They always come out great!

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Maiden voyage on the new bbq setup this coming weekend. Doing a 10lb pork butt for pulled pork on it. I'll let you know how it goes and how the controller works.

Sent from my SIII using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back