S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com

Go Back   S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com > Mustang s197 Tech Forums > 2011+ Mustang GT 5.0L Tech

2011+ Mustang GT 5.0L Tech Technical discussion about the 2011+ Ford Mustang GT 5.0L

Old 10-09-2017, 06:48 AM   #61
Sky Render
Stig's Retarded Cousin

Sky Render is on a distinguished road

Do you know how happy you probably made that kid? He got to sit in a sports car, push the pedals, AND he got ten dollars.

MotoIQ Project Mustang 5.0
Sky Render is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #62
LikeabossTM

LikeabossTM is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Render View Post
Do you know how happy you probably made that kid? He got to sit in a sports car, push the pedals, AND he got ten dollars.
Yea, and I don't mind paying for a job well done when I'm saving so much doing most of it myself anyway.

He looked kind of like this afterward (tho without the gloves).

Click the image to open in full size.
LikeabossTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:05 PM   #63
LikeabossTM

Installed the front bumper cover yesterday. Pretty mundane stuff.

Also picked the U6 touch up from the dealer and ordered a valve cover gasket and VCT solenoid. There's an odd whirring noise (almost like a PD blower whine) that seems to be originating underneath the right-side VCT solenoids. Hopefully nothing too serious.

I don't know if it's the solenoid, but the PCM had squashed and bent the top of it over in the crash, so I may as well replace it for the 30 bux it cost, to rule it out.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 PM   #64
LikeabossTM

Buttoned up the front inner fender plastic splash shields this evening. On the back half the lower pins were assembled through rocker guard, fender, then splash shield. This didn't sit right with me as the lower part of the splash shield fluttered around and I very much disliked the potential for random noise. So I rearranged it to pin through rocker guard, splash shield, then fender. This is a much more rigid arrangement.

With that done and the brakes bled I have no reason to leave the front wheels off. On they go again, for the last time as part of the rebuild.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #65
LikeabossTM

Picked up the parts order this afternoon. The crunched VCT on the right, new one on the left going in.

There's nothing visibly wrong otherwise in the valvetrain.

I guess if it's still whiny I'll start pulling accessory belts to see if that gets rid of the noise. I ordered a new AC belt in case it gets to that, as the old one should be cut off rather than simply unbolting the compressor with the belt tension still trying to twist the compressor out of the block.

On a semi-related note, had them order a new oil cap too (that got cracked by the PCM as well). They ordered, unfortunately, the cap for a boss. I'd keep it and move up to 50 weight for the higher temp capability, but the pressure would be significantly higher. I'm worried that'll mess up the VVT pressures, so I'll just have them order the correct cap and stick with the 20 weight.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 PM   #66
LikeabossTM

New VCT is installed, engine components and covers are all back on, strut tower brace is torqued down. That does it for engine bay rebuild.

The whine is still there, so after the exhaust is complete I'll take another listen with the belts off (will be easier to hear with it all back together).

I also have decided to go with swapping over the 2014 interior/rear body harness. Otherwise I have to deloom, and/or cut and splice in the mirror, overhead console, and shifter wiring, as well as splice some trunk wiring back together that they cut in the 2011. This will also put the extra wiring into place for the backup sensors and puddle lamps, should I retrofit that stuff in.

Pulling the 2014 wiring was pretty easy, it's just a bit of a pain to have to remove the dash and all of the rear trim again. Oh well, live and learn.

Here's the 2014 harness ready to go.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #67
'14StangGT
forum member

'14StangGT is an unknown quantity at this point

That looks scary ....
Old 10-19-2017, 08:03 AM   #68
Sky Render
Stig's Retarded Cousin

Sky Render is on a distinguished road

The '50 weight will not interfere with VCT operation.

"Track Pack" Coyote motors had 5W-50 filled from the factory, the BOSS oil cap, and no other adjustments to the motor.

I routinely run 5W-30 instead of '20 and have zero issues.

MotoIQ Project Mustang 5.0
Sky Render is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #69
LikeabossTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by '14StangGT View Post
That looks scary ....
Not really, but it gets better...

...the body harness connectors were all the same across years, except for one. In the 2011 there's an 18 (used) pin that sits up behind the dash cluster area that joins to the engine bay/fuse box harness - well, in addition to the aforementioned mirror/overhead/shifter differences. In later builds (presumably 13/14) this connector is replaced with two separate connectors that live down in the left footwell, so I have a mismatch.

This means I get to swap out the engine bay harness/fuse box too! Yippee. I could just cut and splice the 2014 connectors (already confirmed pins are all replicated equally other than the second 2011 amp, which I don't need - 2014 combined them into one), but I don't want to ruin the 2014 harness until I'm sure I don't need it. If I want to go with the HIDs (along with anything else I'm not thinking of) eventually, then I'd rather it was unmolested.

So current plan is to swap in the 2014 body harness AND bay harness, HIDs, and probably the SJB as well. Then test and see if everything works. I figure I'll have to tell the PCM that it's got a new SJB, and probably eventually flash the PCM to 2014 strategy.

If that doesn't work out, then I'll put all the 2011 wiring back in and just hack the outstanding necessities together.

What a timeframe setback! The pursuit of stock-ish wiring perfection plagues me.

2011 C263

Was replaced with

2014 C264 & C265

Last edited by LikeabossTM; Yesterday at 03:48 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM   #70
travelers
forum member

travelers is on a distinguished road

If it's not one thing is something else. Good luck

2011 GT Candy Red
USAF Retired
travelers is offline   Reply With Quote