S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com

Go Back   S197 Mustang Forum - S197Forum.com > Mustang s197 Tech Forums > Corner Carver Racing Tech Discussion

Corner Carver Racing Tech Discussion Discuss corner carving/autocross racing and driveline setups here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2017, 11:57 PM   #1
Goose428
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 18
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Goose428 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seats and Oil

Hello everyone,

Havn't posted in a while but had some questions for you.

I am going to my first ever track event in a couple weeks and have some questions. Specifically, about aftermarket seats and oil capacity.

I will start off with oil capacity. My car is a 3v 4.6. Ford states 6 quarts. Is this what people run at the track? My worry here is oil starvation.

I know the 3V has a windage tray, so theoretically if I overfilled it (say, 7ish quarts), the crankshaft shouldn't be churning up+aerating the oil right? What else do I have to worry about when overfilling it? I know on 2V 4.6's, the oil pan itself could hold something like 9 quarts and still have a 1/2 inch or so left before it would begin to spill out of the pan. But the problem here was that the oil would be getting very close to the crankshaft, and would obviously splash up and hit the crank when taking turns. But with the windage tray on the 3v, this shouldn't happen correct? Obviously, I'm not going to fill it to 9 quarts. But my question is, why not fill it up to 7 or so, and thereby lessen my chances of oil starvation? I know BMW guys will do this.

And my other question is seats. My 2008 Bullitt has the side air bag GT500 style seats. I want to change out just the driver seat (Thinking Sparco or Corbeau) and use the stock seatbelt, but I don't want to lose the airbag system. I'm O.K. with losing the side airbag, but I want the front airbag systems to still work. Is this possible? I have spent a couple days researching the topic, but most people don't seem to have a good answer. Figured you road racers would have switched your seats and would know what's up.

Thank You!
Goose428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:34 AM   #2
Speedboosted
Found missing cylinders
 
Speedboosted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: PNW
Posts: 876
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Speedboosted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Front airbag will work fine as long as you transfer the sensor, at least that's how it is on my '06 with a Pro2000 installed. I have no dash lights.

I don't have much input on the oil level thing other than I've heard of some BMW guys doing that before as well. I personally haven't.
__________________

2006 3v Swap: Road Course Toy- Lito Tuned
2016 Fiesta ST: Best Daily Ever- all stock
Speedboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #3
SoundGuyDave
This Space For Rent
 
SoundGuyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,972
iTrader: 2 / 100%
SoundGuyDave will become famous soon enough
Default

Oil level is simple... Standard fill, then add 1/2 quart, done.

For the seats, PARTICULARLY for your first HPDE, I wouldn't bother. You're going to have enough on your plate without having to worry about airbag sensors, dash lights, alteration from your "normal" driving position, etc. With the stock belts, just slide the seat back an inch or two, belt up, yank the belt to lock it down, then slide forward. The GT500 seats have a reasonable bolster, and you should be fine.

What I WOULD do is swap brake pads, at least the fronts. Hawk HT-10 or Carbotech XP-8, and make sure the stock fluid is flushed so that you start fresh.
__________________
Dave Lowum
American Iron #50, NASA Midwest
SoundGuyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: state of confusion
Age: 69
Posts: 2,450
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Norm Peterson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose428 View Post
Hello everyone,

Havn't posted in a while but had some questions for you.

I am going to my first ever track event in a couple weeks and have some questions. Specifically, about aftermarket seats and oil capacity.

I will start off with oil capacity. My car is a 3v 4.6. Ford states 6 quarts. Is this what people run at the track? My worry here is oil starvation.
I've always filled mine ('08 GT) to the top hole but not above it. I fill to that level with however much oil it takes to put it there, not to 6 quarts plus any known fraction of a quart. I just know it's more than 6 and less than 7 by the time I'm done.

Actually, I've done it that way for every oil change I've done in any of my cars that had a max level indicated separate from a crosshatched "acceptable range". Whether or not there was going to be any tracking involved.


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, and a few suspension mods
.
.
'10 Legacy 2.5GT, 6M (hers) . . . '01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
46addict
13726548
 
46addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Age: 28
Posts: 1,171
iTrader: 2 / 100%
46addict is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

I thought the sensor on the floor is for the side airbag. If the steering wheel is left stock it should not affect the front airbags, no? What sensors need to be transferred when installing aftermarket seats?
__________________
Vista Blue Procharged 2007 GT

BBK Longtubes & O/R X--Magnapacks--FRPP hotrod cams--CMDP--3.73s--Exedy Mach 500--DSS Driveshaft
BC Racing Coilovers on 450F/335R--BMR UCA & LCA & relo brackets--MM panhard bar--Hurst Competition shifter
46addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Goose428
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 18
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Goose428 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedboosted View Post
Front airbag will work fine as long as you transfer the sensor, at least that's how it is on my '06 with a Pro2000 installed. I have no dash lights.

I don't have much input on the oil level thing other than I've heard of some BMW guys doing that before as well. I personally haven't.
What exactly do you mean by "transfer the sensor?" And I have heard that the front airbags will not work if the position sensor is not installed correctly.

And I actually just ordered some stop tech pads because I've hard bad things about the Hawk pads for our cars. At this point, I can't really justify spending $160+ on brake pads that are track specialized considering I never go to the track, and I'm sure those pads have worse stopping power for autocross and street use right?

I will flush out my fluid though.

In regards to the oil, I guess I will do 6.5 quarts. Still curious to see if there are any reasons to not fill it to 7 quarts.

Thanks everyone
Goose428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #7
Voltwings
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 30
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Voltwings is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose428 View Post
What exactly do you mean by "transfer the sensor?" And I have heard that the front airbags will not work if the position sensor is not installed correctly.

And I actually just ordered some stop tech pads because I've hard bad things about the Hawk pads for our cars. At this point, I can't really justify spending $160+ on brake pads that are track specialized considering I never go to the track, and I'm sure those pads have worse stopping power for autocross and street use right?

I will flush out my fluid though.

In regards to the oil, I guess I will do 6.5 quarts. Still curious to see if there are any reasons to not fill it to 7 quarts.

Thanks everyone
To be fair, you're going to be buying more brake pads anyway if you take your stock ones to the track. They cant handle the heat and you'll likely go through at least 50-75% of their life in the weekend.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #8
Goose428
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 18
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Goose428 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
To be fair, you're going to be buying more brake pads anyway if you take your stock ones to the track. They cant handle the heat and you'll likely go through at least 50-75% of their life in the weekend.
That was my thought exactly, that's why I opted to get some cheaper ones just for this weekend. It seems like spending a bunch of $$$ on fancy new stuff only to wear it out 30% in one weekend is a bit silly to me?

Once this track event is over I will re-do the system front to back with new pads and new rotors.

Thanks!
Goose428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: state of confusion
Age: 69
Posts: 2,450
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Norm Peterson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default

Even track pads wear extremely rapidly if your basis is 50k, 60k, maybe 75k miles in street-only duty. But half a dozen days is better than one or two . . . or badly fading the brakes.

For the OE 12.4" brakes, I could only expect to get 5 or 6 track days out of the front pads before they were worn below 50% original thickness (rears get at least a couple more). Plenty of street life left, but most track day organizations want you to start off with 50%. In terms of distance, that's only something like 500 track miles. Pad cost/day (pads alone) can exceed $50.

As a track day participant, pads, rotors, fluids, and tires - those at least - are properly considered "consumables" just like the gasoline you put in the tank.


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe, 5M, wheels, tires, pads, fluid, and a few suspension mods
.
.
'10 Legacy 2.5GT, 6M (hers) . . . '01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Ad Management plugin by RedTyger