Water pressure with a well?

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok guys who know these systems, I need a little advice.

Here's what I have. I have a pressure vessel that is about 48" tall and 20" in diameter. My well is about 70 feet deep & 8" in diameter (in case it matters). We currently have more water in the ground than it can hold seeing as I have great drainage and yet still have standing water in two low spots in my yard. The ground is full here. We've had lots of rain and some local areas are having flooding.

Tonight I drew a bath for my son. Water seemed to be flowing slowly and with not much pressure. After his bath, the tub was drained. About 5 minutes later my wife drew a bath for our daughter. The flow was even more weak and seemed to have even less pressure.

I went to my basement where the well feed enters the house and looked at the gauge it was around 3 psi and dropping while the tub filled. It got down to less than 2 psi but was not to the very bottom of the gauge. It did not kick on.

I pulled the two post switch cover off and triggered it manually. It ran and stopped at just a hair under 20 psi.

Everything I've read says it should cycle between 40 and 60 psi. I'm topping out at 1/3 of that. I've adjusted nothing since moving in. My sediment filter is ok, but probably due before too much longer.

I put a gauge to my pressure tank and it jumps straight to 58 psi. Shouldn't I be getting a steady 40-60 on my gauge.

Also after about 15 minutes I looked at the gauge again and the pressure had dropped from about 19 to just under 15. Is this normal for pressure to bleed off? I've not noticed it in the time we've been in the house. We have no leaks that I am aware.

I'm still fairly green on the workings of a well system, but something seems not right about this to me. It seems like the switch might be bad since the pressure doesn't trigger the pump till near zero and it stops at 20psi.

Should I just adjust it as described online for more pressure?

If you have experience with well systems, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just looked at the gauge again and it was at zero.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
What kind of pressure tank and set up do you have? Is it a bladder tank? Do you have a holding tank filled by air? Is your pump installed in the side of the pressure tank or is it located beside it? Also, don't adjust the switch, it is pre adjusted and messing with it will just get it fouled up for when you do find the problem. Pics of well set up would help.
Where did you take the pressure reading at the tank? On the top at the valve stem? If so, you have a bladder tank.

Sent from iPhone

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mine is set to 60 psi and does not bleed off.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bladder tank. Pump is near the bottom of the well at the end of the plastic hose.

Inlet feed comes in from the well and goes to a T fitting. Off the T is the bladder tank. On the other end of the T is the gauge and then it continues to feed the sediment filter and then onto the rest of the house.

The pressure reading I took from the tank was from a schrader valve at the top of the tank.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is an accurate diagram of my system. Pretty much the same.

private-pump-well-water-system.gif

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Try this. Turn the breaker off to the well pump. Check at the pressure switch that the voltage is 0! Then open the points and see if they are burnt. You may need a new switch. As for the leak down it could be that your pump is going bad. I'm not all that familiar with submersibles, but I do work for a water company and will try to get some info from the operators on them. Most people in this area have them as well. I'll try to get some ideas.

Sent from iPhone

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
You still having trouble? I'm very sorry had some very busy days this week and haven't had time to find out anything for you. I haven't forgotten about it though.

Sent from iPhone

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yup. I think the only presure we have is what the pump can give us. Showers in the master bat are as they have always been. Ok but week IMO.

I hear you on the busy with work thing! I've been hurried myself.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Ok first things first. To begin trouble shooting - turn off the power to your well pump and drain all water pressure off. Then check the air pressure in the top side of the tank. There should be a label beside the valve that tells you what that pressure should be. I think it's around 28 psi for a 30-60 psi system. Please research your tank brand and type for correct pressure. Once you have this pressure correct make sure that it is not leaking down and turn your well on and refill.
Next somewhere in your piping above ground you should have a check valve to keep your water pressure from bleeding back down your well and through your pump. Check that it is not leaking by. You can usually hear it if you put your ear to it or have a mech. stethoscope.
The next thing to check is how much pressure your well is putting out. You can do this by valving out your pressure tank and manually running the well and reading your pressure gauge.
Ok at this point if your pressure is still low you have two possibilities bad pump or bad screen in the bottom of your well. I say probably pump. You will probably need to hire a professional well company to repair/replace since it is submersible.

Hope this helps

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Unngghhhhh.... maybe I'll just call the well company to talk about it with them and have them troubleshoot/fix it. They'll be the ones to put a new pump in if it's needed.

Thanks for following up. Appreciate it.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Man I hate that for you. Choose your well company wisely. There are a lot of rip offs out there. Talk around a bit. Maybe if there is a small town hardware close to you that has been in business a long time. Good place to pick up recommendations for well drillers/repair.

Sent from iPhone

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The company that drilled our well has been in business (family owned all along) for over 80 years. They drilled the well when the house was built.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not yet. Water flows and I've been stupid busy with more urgent projects (according to the wife).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back