My new house

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I bought my latest house in July and it was a spec home. Which means it was finished to drywall stage. We finished it out.

I had to add cat5 to two additional rooms and it was 250 dollars per room. Which I thought was ok considering how many feet of wire they had to run

I also wanted body sprayers and a rain can in my shower..... That was not cheap. Almost 3000 by the time that was done. But I'm happy I did it all now that's for sure.

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my latest house in July and it was a spec home. Which means it was finished to drywall stage. We finished it out.

I had to add cat5 to two additional rooms and it was 250 dollars per room. Which I thought was ok considering how many feet of wire they had to run

I also wanted body sprayers and a rain can in my shower..... That was not cheap. Almost 3000 by the time that was done. But I'm happy I did it all now that's for sure.

That sounds crazy expensive. Not sure if that's the going rate or not, but I wired my parent's basement and a few rooms of their house for far less than that. You can get 500ft of Cat 5e cable for like $50.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you. Both runs were around 150 plus feet plus the punch down thru the walls.

Not to mention he was up in my attic in 110 degree Arizona summer heat. Lol. I probably paid a premium vs doing it myself.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Either way, I seriously doubt he's getting 1 Gig through the ISP. 10Gig Cat6 would be way overkill unless you are transferring huge files constantly between devices. It's also important to remember Cat6 is only rated to 160 feet, anything after that it will start to degrade the signal to about 5e speeds anyway. Why would you recommend Cat 6 for a home? Not saying you're wrong, everyone has their reasons just want hear yours.

Simply future proofing. I am old enough to remember “640K ought to be enough for everyone”. I strongly believe in future proofing whenever cost effective. My current ISP service to my home is significantly faster now than it was a few years ago and it will be significantly faster again a few years from now. Cable wise the cost of bulk Cat 6 UTP is only about $40 more per 1000 ft over Cat5e so why would you not future proof? I thought the maximum length for Cat 6 cables used in 10/100/100BASE-T was 100 meters or 328ft, but I am clearly no expert. While I consider myself an early adopter I have clearly made many mistakes along the way: Betamax and HD DVD to name a few.

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
i agree with the cat 5/6, also look into some sort of home entertainment, ceiling mounted speakers and such. also, dont skimp on the bathroom. a few body sprayers in the shower go a long way
the entire house is wired for ceiling speakers 4 per room, meh on the shower im in and out in 3 minutes
Does the 3000sq ft include the garage? Otherwise a 3000 sqft 3bed 2bath has some big fucking bedrooms. Congratulations!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

well the master bedroom is 25x25 so yeah its a big freaking house.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Simply future proofing. I am old enough to remember “640K ought to be enough for everyone”. I strongly believe in future proofing whenever cost effective. My current ISP service to my home is significantly faster now than it was a few years ago and it will be significantly faster again a few years from now. Cable wise the cost of bulk Cat 6 UTP is only about $40 more per 1000 ft over Cat5e so why would you not future proof? I thought the maximum length for Cat 6 cables used in 10/100/100BASE-T was 100 meters or 328ft, but I am clearly no expert. While I consider myself an early adopter I have clearly made many mistakes along the way: Betamax and HD DVD to name a few.

That's where I am to, futureproofing. Cat6 maybe a little over kill now, but will be great to have in 5 years.

Black, we need updates and pics from when they first break ground till you finally move in. ;)

VA Raptor

forum member
Reaction score

Agree on the future proofing. When my house was built I went and ran, Cat6, RG6, speaker wire and fiber (THIS is overkill for 99% of home owners) before the drywall was put up. I also ran a 2" PVC pipe from the attic to the basement for easier runs later if needed.

You are also correct that the maximum length for UTP Cat3 to Cat6 cable is 100M.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back