Fun with old car parts- Worlds heaviest floor lamp.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
So here it is, a lamp I built using the flywheel, crank and cam from a 1961 Austin Healey 3.0l inline six.
screwy.gif

The crank had been under my dads deck for years and when we tore out the deck I had the idea to repurpose the old crank. I media blasted the crank and then welded the cam to the crank. I also performed a little patina magic to the cam and the black and galvanized pipe I used for the lighting fixture to give it a more uniform appearance and then treated it with Penetrol to preserve the finish. The lighting is courtesy of a pair of 40 watt Edison bulbs.

I have yet to weigh it but it has to be in the 130lb range.
smiley.gif

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
That is awesome!

I have a bunch of early Chrysler Hemi parts that I have thought about doing something similar with. But then I think about moving that heavy cast iron crap around and decide not to! lol

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
That's a great look, Steve. And I'm sure you had fun building it as well. Envisioning it and gathering all the pieces to put it together is most of the work.

Steve@Tasca

Official Vendor
Reaction score
That is awesome!

I have a bunch of early Chrysler Hemi parts that I have thought about doing something similar with. But then I think about moving that heavy cast iron crap around and decide not to! lol

Any old valve covers you don't need? ;)

I don't think I'd do another one of these, it is very hard to move around although it's on Felt pads so I can slide it across the hardwood.

looks cool Steve

Thanks, I do have a couple other lighter projects in mind once I round up some more parts.

-Steve

5tangiac.0

forum member
Reaction score
Looks good. I made a table
Lamp out of an old 2v npi head.

8e6ae69a0688f056fcd2e385a482ac0b.jpg
d9dde8be1ac9c30600212c99c26a0320.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'14StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
pretty cool

I've seen engine block coffee tables, or even engine block wine holders

I guess you could even make mail boxes out of old car parts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back