Exhaust Question

TheLandGt

Reaction score
First off, I love the forums. There is such a large amount of information here.

My question; I've beating my head in deciding what exhaust to get.
After watching close to 100 YouTube videos and reading everything on the S197
I decided go to with Pypes Off-Road H-Pipe, and MAC Boom Tubes Axle-Back Exhaust. (will be delivered Monday!)

I also picked up a set of -Dynomax 24215 Race Bullets. If I decide to run the bullets with my exhaust. Will it make the note deeper or lower? Would it be a waste of time to even put them on? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

TheLandGt

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That setup will be loud as fuck, you could have the bullets mid-mounted as resonators but honestly they won't do much.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I'm no expert on mufflers but I would only use the race bullets if your looking to quiet it down a tad bit. I don't think it will make it much deeper.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Those YouTube videos can deflate the pocket-book, indeedy. Curious to hear how your set-up sounds...definitely post-up a video when installed.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I think that is going to be a very raw sounding exhaust. I have a couple of mid-mounted Cherry Bombs. They are not for volume but to take the edge off the tone a bit. It's more about the type of sound than the volume if you put the bullets in.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Mild steel regular old actual cherry bombs? How are they lasting? I was thinking of doing this. I believe cherry bombs are edit: not louvered.

Crazy thing is cherry bombs are now 50 freaking dollars here. I can get pypes m80's that are stainless for that. I need to make my own damn resonators. Also, I think there are some good ones in the new GT350 and even the new 5.0 GT's. Free.

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Mild steel regular old actual cherry bombs? How are they lasting? I was thinking of doing this. I believe cherry bombs are edit: not louvered.

Crazy thing is cherry bombs are now 50 freaking dollars here. I can get pypes m80's that are stainless for that. I need to make my own damn resonators. Also, I think there are some good ones in the new GT350 and even the new 5.0 GT's. Free.

They are holding up fine but I live in the high desert. My headers are mild steel and after 8 years still look like the second day I got them. They are not louvered but a glass pack design.

TheLandGt

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I will be sure to get a sound video up after the install

Dynomax will be louder and deeper.

So, if I toss the Bullets after my mid pipe. The sound will get deeper?
I want a nasty, deep, hollow sounding, agressive note. No rasp, just that deep muscle car growl. If that makes sense.

Thanks again,
TheLandGt

Last edited:

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
look like about 12" cores (or are those 8? 12" overall. Looking at the cherry bomb catalog it looks like they have to be,) thanks for the info, 07.

Last edited:

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FWIW, over the winter I bought one of those cheap ebay catbacks that comes with the Stinger-style axle back. After buying it I found out the "mufflers' on those are just hollow resonators, so I put it on my car just to try it out with long tube headers and a catted shorty H pipe.

They sounded nasty at idle (especially with the cams), but were really raspy at WOT and the drone was just plain terrible, like enough to give me a headache even with the windows open. I would suspect an off road H pipe with boom tubes would be similar. I drove with them on one time and swapped them back out for the mufflers I had been running.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I will be sure to get a sound video up after the install

So, if I toss the Bullets after my mid pipe. The sound will get deeper?
I want a nasty, deep, hollow sounding, agressive note. No rasp, just that deep muscle car growl. If that makes sense.

Thanks again,
TheLandGt

I know the sound you are looking for. You need mufflers to achieve that sound. Doubt that you can get it with just straight pipes. BUT the problem with our cars is the location of the mufflers. You need some pipe between the mufflers and tips to get that old school muscle car sound. The best exhaust I think I've heard is LT headers with stingers that were mid mounted before the axle. There is room down there you just might lose a touch of ground clearance. But by far one of the better setups I've heard if you are looking for that rumble.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I know the sound you are looking for. You need mufflers to achieve that sound. Doubt that you can get it with just straight pipes. BUT the problem with our cars is the location of the mufflers. You need some pipe between the mufflers and tips to get that old school muscle car sound. The best exhaust I think I've heard is LT headers with stingers that were mid mounted before the axle. There is room down there you just might lose a touch of ground clearance. But by far one of the better setups I've heard if you are looking for that rumble.

If you look around there is some talk about a pro chamber helping - also I think both mid mounted and tailpipe mounted mufflers might work, that's what I'm doing with my KR/FR500S mufflers and ... cherry bombs!

07 Boss

Reaction score
If you look around there is some talk about a pro chamber helping - also I think both mid mounted and tailpipe mounted mufflers might work, that's what I'm doing with my KR/FR500S mufflers and ... cherry bombs!

Yeah the prochamber resonator is pretty nice sounding.

The Cherry Bombs really helped clean up the tone. Does pretty much nothing for volume but it takes the edge off of exhaust note a bit. My set up is pretty obnoxious with the headers and outlaws and the Cherry Bombs made it tolerable. Still loud as ....

Hbaum38486

Reaction score
Borla Atak

I just put on the Borla Atak and love them. They have no drone noise and are plenty loud enough>

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back