Tiger Racing Hood after 1 year = :(

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I really believe that hood pins would have gone a long way to prevent most of the damage to the hood. Having had a carbon fiber cowl hood, the amount of flex that the hood showed with just the stock hood latch getting to even 35 mph was scary. After a good set of hood pins, 180mph was no problem (in closed course testing).

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Why a "reverse duct"? Isn't the design to "pull" hot air out?

attachment.php

Yes, we're talking about the same thing, just with differing degrees. That TR hood does a good job of venting the underhood area, and meets the rules of the classes it was designed for, but it isn't perfect.

The C6.R reverse ducted hood is what I'm talking about. The radiator is rolled forward and a semi-sealed duct is mated to it and the hood. Makes for better front downforce and more cooling. When tied into a real front splitter design it can make big improvements.

Sorry, I'll quit going out on this tangent...

Darkside323

forum member
Reaction score
I really believe that hood pins would have gone a long way to prevent most of the damage to the hood. Having had a carbon fiber cowl hood, the amount of flex that the hood showed with just the stock hood latch getting to even 35 mph was scary. After a good set of hood pins, 180mph was no problem (in closed course testing).

Center section of hood would of still flexed with hood pins. It is a single layer in the center. Once I get it fixed I will most likely only run it when a track day comes up. C6R's are aerodynamic masterpieces. A deep draw hood would look sick on a stang!!!!

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Center section of hood would of still flexed with hood pins. It is a single layer in the center. Once I get it fixed I will most likely only run it when a track day comes up. C6R's are aerodynamic masterpieces. A deep draw hood would look sick on a stang!!!!

It might still flex, but the force is spread out onto 4 pins vs 1 hood latch. I think you would have been good with pins too.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has cracks and I have four mounts and no center mount. The cracks are not related to the method of fastening but the method of construction. That said it is a race part and I would not think to complain about it. I'll live with till I either fix it or replace it with another hood.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Mine has cracks and I have four mounts and no center mount. The cracks are not related to the method of fastening but the method of construction. That said it is a race part and I would not think to complain about it. I'll live with till I either fix it or replace it with another hood.

Suprised you haven't fabricated a metal brace for it.

Napoleon85

forum member
Reaction score
Mine has cracks and I have four mounts and no center mount. The cracks are not related to the method of fastening but the method of construction.

That sucks, I really would have thought a four hood pin setup would have helped. What do you guys think a realistic lifespan on a pure racecar would be for these CF hoods? Given the price difference between the CF and FG versions - I'm not sure it's worth the weight savings if you have to replace the hood every year.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Tiger Racing has changed the weight/material amount they use on the glass hoods several times from what they told me. They were probably trying to get them light as possible without problems. Maybe they know by now, maybe not, but I would guess Tiger Racing will change them...hopefully.

NEMustang

Mad Motorsports Products
Reaction score
Guys,

Many of you may remember that I became a Tiger Racing distributor and was on the phone almost daily with Paul to facilitate a group buy for these hoods...almost everyone bought the fiberglass version. my brother and I bought the Carbon Fiber race versions and I have had great success with the hood both on the track and commuting into Boston almost everyday. I was always worried about how the CF version would hold up.

Paul was a standup guy and probably would have worked something out with the OP. However, here is an excerpt, directly from Paul, from one of our many emails:

We will never offer the carbon hoods in a show or carbon look finish. You cannot keep the weave in line with all the contours of the louvers. The carbon look hoods on the market are a single layer of carbon over heavy fiberglass parts with tons of clear to avoid the blemishes and fill the holes. Carbon fiber actually breaks down in sunlight and looses strength, when was the last time you saw an Indy, F1 or ALMS car race in natural carbon finish, they don't. Maybe for a test of pictures, but not in the real world for use.
Our hoods are hand laid and we go through great lengths to remove all excess resign in the carbon hoods to keep the weight down. This is the reason the carbon hoods may show more imperfections or even the weave and ghosting of the frame from below. This is normal with real carbon parts even with Ferrari. There are a couple more steps that we can take to make a perfect carbon hood like in preprag, however they would then be in the $4000 range.

Paul Brown
General Manager
Tiger Racing
626-967-6796
www.tiger-racing.com

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
That sucks, I really would have thought a four hood pin setup would have helped. What do you guys think a realistic lifespan on a pure racecar would be for these CF hoods? Given the price difference between the CF and FG versions - I'm not sure it's worth the weight savings if you have to replace the hood every year.

On a race car the cracks don't matter. You keep using it till you crash. :naughty1:

Darkside323

forum member
Reaction score
Guys,

Many of you may remember that I became a Tiger Racing distributor and was on the phone almost daily with Paul to facilitate a group buy for these hoods...almost everyone bought the fiberglass version. my brother and I bought the Carbon Fiber race versions and I have had great success with the hood both on the track and commuting into Boston almost everyday. I was always worried about how the CF version would hold up.

Paul was a standup guy and probably would have worked something out with the OP. However, here is an excerpt, directly from Paul, from one of our many emails:

We will never offer the carbon hoods in a show or carbon look finish. You cannot keep the weave in line with all the contnours of the louvers. The carbon look hoods on the market are a single layer of carbon over heavy fiberglass parts with tons of clear to avoid the blemishes and fill the holes. Carbon fiber actually breaks down in sunlight and looses strength, when was the last time you saw an Indy, F1 or ALMS car race in natural carbon finish, they don't. Maybe for a test of pictures, but not in the real world for use.
Our hoods are hand laid and we go through great lengths to remove all excess resign in the carbon hoods to keep the weight down. This is the reason the carbon hoods may show more imperfections or even the weave and ghosting of the frame from below. This is normal with real carbon parts even with Ferrari. There are a couple more steps that we can take to make a perfect carbon hood like in preprag, however they would then be in the $4000 range.

Paul Brown
General Manager
Tiger Racing
626-967-6796
www.tiger-racing.com

Yup Paul told me the same thing when I purchased it and I was okay with it. Cracks were not mentioned though. Maybe no one had run them for such extended periods of time. Since his hood was always wrapped maybe he had not noticed it. In reality who knows....

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Yes, we're talking about the same thing, just with differing degrees. That TR hood does a good job of venting the underhood area, and meets the rules of the classes it was designed for, but it isn't perfect.

The C6.R reverse ducted hood is what I'm talking about. The radiator is rolled forward and a semi-sealed duct is mated to it and the hood. Makes for better front downforce and more cooling. When tied into a real front splitter design it can make big improvements.

Sorry, I'll quit going out on this tangent...

Ok i see what you are talking about now! you would have to cut and re weld part of the radiator brace and pull the bottom out some but can you actually get it to that angle? Then the cold air intake will get in the way of the drop piece of the hood correct? I'm just trying to see how it would be easy to do this. I have seen the RX7 guys do something like this but they have tons of room. Also this mod will put you in a different class wont it? Also your not ranting we want to know stuff like this from a proper race team. :thumb:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Ok i see what you are talking about now! you would have to cut and re weld part of the radiator brace and pull the bottom out some but can you actually get it to that angle? Then the cold air intake will get in the way of the drop piece of the hood correct? I'm just trying to see how it would be easy to do this. I have seen the RX7 guys do something like this but they have tons of room. Also this mod will put you in a different class wont it? Also your not ranting we want to know stuff like this from a proper race team. :thumb:
We are doing all that you mentioned and more... Yes, you need to roll the radiator to a new angle, yes the radiator support structure has to change, yes the air intake routing has to change. This is no easy "hood swap" that I am talking about. Look under the hood of a C6.R and you will see how much work it takes to do this. But the end result is more front downforce.

i-FWcs4Wd-M.jpg

Keep an eye out for progress this summer on our Mustang Build Thread. :naughty1:

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
Just wanna throw this out there.

I've had a TR fiber hood since like...2011. Two pins, lots of tracking, cross country drive and a deployment. Still perfect.

Darkside323

forum member
Reaction score
Just wanna throw this out there.

I've had a TR fiber hood since like...2011. Two pins, lots of tracking, cross country drive and a deployment. Still perfect.

You and a whole lot of other people and race teams. Is yours Carbon or Fiberglass?
This is why I think I had the luck of getting a bad hood. I've met several people with no problems. 908ssp is the first other person who has said their hood has cracks. I sent a letter to Chicane23 (since they are helping out Tiger Racing with sales), and spoke to John over the phone but all he could do was give me a discount on another hood. I proceeded to send another letter asking to put me in contact with someone who could maybe be able to make a bigger decision but never received a response. It sucks....

Darkside323

forum member
Reaction score
Guys,

NEMustang I was never able to use my hood on the track because since I purchased it I did not have time (and was a little scared) to install the aerocatch hood pins I purchased. You have probably put your hood through more stress than mine plus it's also black so takes just as much abuse from the sun as mine. I still think something must of gone wrong with my hood during construction.

Grip

Fast Addict
Reaction score
You and a whole lot of other people and race teams. Is yours Carbon or Fiberglass?
This is why I think I had the luck of getting a bad hood. I've met several people with no problems. 908ssp is the first other person who has said their hood has cracks. I sent a letter to Chicane23 (since they are helping out Tiger Racing with sales), and spoke to John over the phone but all he could do was give me a discount on another hood. I proceeded to send another letter asking to put me in contact with someone who could maybe be able to make a bigger decision but never received a response. It sucks....

Fiberglass.

On you not getting a response from TR: Paul was my friend. Not just a "hey what's up?" at the track, friend...I mean a "Drunk at his house, arguing with his wife and passing out on his couch" friend. Paul gave me my hood as a gift before I left Cali. I don't want to put out anybody's personal information, but I will say that a tremendous amount of ...well let's just call it "BS"... has come down since Paul's passing. I mean, I can't even begin to explain how much...some of it's just ridiculous. Seriously. Much of it infuriates me in a way I won't even go into.

I understand this isn't an "excuse" for a business, per-se, but just so you don't go thinking they're blowing you off.

It's just rough over there, man.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back