Jodadej's Engine Build Thread

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had them custom ground at Comp. They don't charge any more for a custom grind then they do for an off the shelf cam. Contact Aaron Mick at Comp Cams [email protected] and he will take care of you.

Earl

Last edited:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those cam spec seem to be in between the Livernois Stage 2 and 3 turbo cams with another 1.5* of LSA. I'm wondering why the extra 1.5*?
With the bigger duration numbers, the extra 1.5 degrees is to decrease the amount of overlap. It will also open the exhaust valve sooner helping a bit on the top end.

awesome autocorrect malfunctions brought to you by tapatalk

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Jeremy I will be able to just bump the base pressure by going return if there is an issue. I'm fairly certain that conversations with Kevin McD from JPC, let me to believe that ~800 would be capable through the id's on corn.

I'm leaning toward the HPX-E currently just because I don't think the regular one will have enough resolution if I really push the car.

Those cam spec seem to be in between the Livernois Stage 2 and 3 turbo cams with another 1.5* of LSA. I'm wondering why the extra 1.5*?

You will able to bump pressure regardless of setup just letting you know that your going to be near the edge of them at that level on corn so you likely will want to bump pressure up. That's likely what I will do if I decide to use corn.

Like mentioned, wider lsa decreases overlap and will help spool and power, you want the lsa wide on a turbo car vice narrow on a na or centri cam. Stock lsa is 117.25 btw.

camlsa.jpg

Last edited:

char259

Wolf Pack Racing
Reaction score
Jason , glad to see you are ready to step up!! I see you mentioned Kevin at JPC, is he tuning it for you?

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Charlie, No, since I've been in b-more I've been working with Adam @ Revolution Automotive for all of my tunes and work.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Turbo will be Comp or Precision 7675 Billet wheel

Fue:l is going to be a Fore Return Style Running an AEM primary with a 465 secondary pump(signal from eboost to FC3 controller)

Cams: I've talked with Lunati and out of everyone I've talked to it seems like they have a good spec. 229/233 @.050 with .496/.500 lift with a 116 LSA. I'd just run their springs and retainers.

Engine: spoke with Lloyd and with the scarce Kellog cranks, I'm either going to have to go with an Eagle or figure something else out.

APR 12pt head bolts
HPX-E Meter

Not sure If I am going to just buy TSS gears and put them in a 5.8 pump or just buy an already assembled pump with TSS gears.

I'm undecided on what flywheel I'm going to go with either nor have come across any deals on an 8bolt.

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
yea im in the same boat as far as crank does anyone have anything bad to say about eagle cranks? or any input at all about them?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm about to be putting out 700-800rwhp revving to 7k rpms though a stock crank.
What up? :)

roberts

forum member
Reaction score
not trying to hijack ur thead jo,

jeremy im scared to do that cause that's the only thing that could let go and if it would that means start over that's why i thought about forged crank. What can the stock crank hold does anybody know forsure?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The key to the stock crank handling big power is in the RPM. The stock cast crank is pretty strong but it doesn't have the center counterweight, so it will not handle high RPM as well as the forged crank. As long as you keep the RPM's under about 6500, I don't think you will have any problem from the stock crank.

Earl

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
not trying to hijack ur thead jo,

jeremy im scared to do that cause that's the only thing that could let go and if it would that means start over that's why i thought about forged crank. What can the stock crank hold does anybody know forsure?

I haven't seen anyone break one. Matter of fact only damaged 3v cranks I have seen have been forged due to most guys going forged and the damage was usually a byproduct of something else. So I'm going to push the stock crank as hard as possible. If I break it we will know a reasonable limit. I didn't retain the stock crank on my build to save money either I just didn't see a need to replace it. It's cast steel and plently strong, compared it to the forged cobra crank I had and decided to keep the stocker. I've been revving my car to 7k with the stock crank for around 3 years now with boost. I did remove my underdrive crank pulley and put on an ATI super damper about a year ago. I'm not going to go easy on it. ;)

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a little bit of advice here. The engine builder can't get the Kellog crank so that leaves me with the Eagle stock stroke, H-beam's with arp 2000, and I want to do higher cr pistons and he would typically use a more dished manley piston. At the current moment I'm thinking of going through CNC motorsports, getting a custom Diamond Piston cut with a 2cc dish and it would only end up running about 740 shipped. Any words of wisdom?

Kevin from JPC runs a Diamond Flat top on his car 11:1 3v in his fox with twins. That cars made well over 800 with RGR heads, baby cams, and retained VCT.

I'm thinking that the slight dish will put me right where I want to be!

Michael @ L&M and also lito mentioned locking the cams out if going with turbo grinds. For a street car I'm not sure I really want to do that considering 99.9% of my miles are on the street.

It seems like I've read through every Cam thread and people have gone either way, but most that lockout are race cars. This is a street car that I want to have a lot of power.....Is this having your cake and eating it too?

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Sorry that all my threads are disappointing.

Kellogg no longer makes aftermarket cranks but you can find them around if you will want to get that brand

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Did you call modmax racing? They have reconditioned cobra cranks that come with the properly sized main and rod bearings for a little over $700. They also have a modmax stock stroke forged crank on theri website, not sure who makes them for them though.

I am running lockouts in my car and have zero drivability issues. I am running a custom grind cam that I bought from 05 stroker that he had made for his car. The specs are in my build thread.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Cam why are you apologizing? Lol

Fuel, I looked at the Cobra cranks, but wasn't sure about those. I also considered the modmax but don't know who makes that either. Don't know of anyone using them. I didn't realize your cams were locked but did see that you had the custom cams. I'll have to look back over your thread. Just lockouts only or did you run the TFS crank timing gear?

JoshK

Modder AKA Fuel
Reaction score
Just livernois lockouts. The cobra cranks that they have are oem ford iirc, they have just been remanufactured(polished or ground if needed) and then paired with the proper bearings. Maybe give them a phone call or have your builder look into them.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Well, Mod Max sourced their cranks from Kellogg also and they are out and haven't found anyone else to get them from....he mentioned that they've had good luck with the Eagle and that I'd just have to run chamfered bearings.

EDIT: Damn...you got me Cam...generally i'd pick up on that but it slipped right by me. Thats funny!

Back