Man Without a Country?

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly, I like where this is going. Go for it!

There will be blood. I'm hoping to start the swap no later than June 01 :)

The long block should be assembled by the end of the month (ordering parts next week).

My wife posed an interesting question - "Are you going to advertise what's under the hood with emblems?"

I haven't decided yet, but I know I can get the appropriate signage ("427" numbers). The big question is if I did, where would I put it - on the side of the hood scoop, or over the "Power By Ford" emblem (which itself WILL be staying on the car). I was also thinking of a custom faux gas cap emblem.

:)

Yes sir. Ive done it a few times.

Hey! We're practically neighbors! I live in Garden Ridge.

South Texas Performance is helping me with the swap. I bought the AFR heads off Chris's japilino car. (He's upgrading to 220's.)

so maybe we should start a "Frankenstein" sub-forum....

I would be pretty much the only one using it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
How about some Frankenstein decals where the 3.7/5.0 would be? That way, you aren't exactly lying about it, or advertising it.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
J I was at STP last month and they were telling me about the build. I try to visit them as much as possible.

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
How about some Frankenstein decals where the 3.7/5.0 would be? That way, you aren't exactly lying about it, or advertising it.

My wife said that I was turning my car into a "blunt instrument". I think I like that name. :)

@jewc75:

I'm at the shop pretty much every Saturday. They let me help on some of the stuff they do. They are true car guys.

Last edited:

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool you can get away with that. Here, as you explain it only applies to kit cars. Yes, they make some kit cars pass fucking smog. But normal swaps are legal here as long as the engine swapped is the same year or NEWER. Then you pass smog for that engine just like you said. Wonder how that applies to you guys and aftermarket blocks
Good luck!

Last edited:

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score

Ya know - "FrankenStang" would be a good name for such a sub-forum. It would be for discussing all power/drivetrain swaps in S197s.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Why all the hate? psfracer did it, JIJoe did it, I have thought about it, I don't get it.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well, start a build thread. a lot of us here in san antonio would love to see this. still it's interesting to think this can somehow pass inspection and be totally legal.

we need more info on that.

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
Why all the hate? psfracer did it, JIJoe did it, I have thought about it, I don't get it.

Honestly, I haven't seen anything that could be identified as hate - just a few people wringing their hands over illegal edicts by an unconstitutional government agency.

To be honest, I'd gladly pay some sort of annual fee to be "exempt". After all, what I want is way more important than the environment. :)

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
At first I thought this was a joke/pre April Fools so I was skeptical but it appears this is legit so if I demonstrated "hate" sorry about that, this will be interesting to follow!

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
At first I thought this was a joke/pre April Fools so I was skeptical but it appears this is legit so if I demonstrated "hate" sorry about that, this will be interesting to follow!

I don't joke around when it comes to spending this much money... :)

Besides, the thread was started on the 2nd.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, I would think not! While this will be a cool project the cost...ugh.....

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
well, start a build thread. a lot of us here in san antonio would love to see this. still it's interesting to think this can somehow pass inspection and be totally legal.

we need more info on that.

In a lot of areas it is pretty easy. Take where I live for example, its a $14 check the lights and shit inspection. No sniffer, no emissions checks etc. Now is the guy supposed to check if the car has cats, sure he is, but thsys the only issue. Dosent seem to me getting a BBF to pass would be any harder then my car. Must depends on where you live.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In a lot of areas it is pretty easy. Take where I live for example, its a $14 check the lights and shit inspection. No sniffer, no emissions checks etc. Now is the guy supposed to check if the car has cats, sure he is, but thsys the only issue. Dosent seem to me getting a BBF to pass would be any harder then my car. Must depends on where you live.

yes, that's the way it is in Bexar County also, but who knows for how long. Thanks to a couple of guys that already posted in this thread, I have a hook up for inspection stickers. I was kind of hoping that there was a little more to it, kind of like actually passing and getting a sticker.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Honestly, I haven't seen anything that could be identified as hate - just a few people wringing their hands over illegal edicts by an unconstitutional government agency.

To be honest, I'd gladly pay some sort of annual fee to be "exempt". After all, what I want is way more important than the environment. :)

+1 No hate at all IMO

Good luck with the build, I think in Chat or Pics/Vids would be fine for a build thread

wish it were so easy here.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
wish it were so easy here.

It can be close. Loophole! If your CEL is on for something, and your shop bills you out over $400 for repairs, and when they plug back in to inspect, the CEL is off but readiness isn't reporting, they can slap a sticker on.

I feel sorry for the guy who ended up buying my VW. That thing was a nightmare. I spent over $400 in diagnostics for the CEL once.

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
I've come up with a custom plate that's not already in use. When I start the build, I'm gonna snag it (and reveal what it is - don't want some other joker to get it before I have a chance at it). :)

Back