swflastang05's build thread

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very nice work. Hats off for all the hands on!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Well as my luck would have it, my machine shop finally got around to working on my motor this week and when boring the block the boring bar supposedly somehow got hung up and cut a huge grove into one of the cylinders, ruining the block! WTF!

Good news is they agreed to pay for another one, bad news is I don't have anymore. If anyone has one they're willing to let go, please let me know! Need an OEM 3v Block code 3L2E 6015 CC.

I would just go with a Boss block but I already have custom pistons for 3.582 bore and the Boss is 3.700 of course.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
That sux , sorry to hear. Isn't the boss block only a bolt main anyway?

Yes, it's 2 bolt mains.

I decided to just go ahead and have them sleeve it rather than deal with a whole new block. I'll have them use good quality ductile iron sleeve and it will by much stronger than it was before. Hopefully it won't take another 2 months to get the sleeve lol.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Yes, it's 2 bolt mains.

I decided to just go ahead and have them sleeve it rather than deal with a whole new block. I'll have them use good quality ductile iron sleeve and it will by much stronger than it was before. Hopefully it won't take another 2 months to get the sleeve lol.

There is nothing wrong with sleeving a 3v block I have done it several times and never had an issue from it.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Well as my luck would have it, my machine shop finally got around to working on my motor this week and when boring the block the boring bar supposedly somehow got hung up and cut a huge grove into one of the cylinders, ruining the block! WTF!

Good news is they agreed to pay for another one, bad news is I don't have anymore. If anyone has one they're willing to let go, please let me know! Need an OEM 3v Block code 3L2E 6015 CC.

I would just go with a Boss block but I already have custom pistons for 3.582 bore and the Boss is 3.700 of course.

Should have contacted TIM at MPR. New Top Notch Equipment and that does not happen.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kyle you are like me, if I don't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck! Good luck with the sleeve! Hmm...that doesn't sound right..... But I am sure you know what I mean.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with sleeving a 3v block I have done it several times and never had an issue from it.

I was pretty sure that you've done it, thanks.

Should have contacted TIM at MPR. New Top Notch Equipment and that does not happen.

Kicking a guy when he's down, I see! The shop I went to is my local shop 15 mins from my house, they also have top notch equipment (Sunnen CV 616), this can and does occasionally happen at any shop. These guys usually build pro-race motors that are way beyond my little mod motor BS, they do 3000+hp Pro-mods and offshore competition boats mostly, they are plenty qualified to do my stuff. I know MPR is a very good shop and I very well may use them sometime, just not this time. It wasn't an option to drive all my parts across the state at the time..otherwise it would be a no brainer.

Kyle you are like me, if I don't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck! Good luck with the sleeve! Hmm...that doesn't sound right..... But I am sure you know what I mean.

Lol thanks Scott, I hear ya.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I would not hesitate to sleeve it, all the aluminum block is, is a casting with eight sleeves in it from the factory.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
How costly is it to sleeve a block. When I built this motor I went .020 over. I don't particularly want to go .030 over on the next build nor do I want to have to find another block.

Good luck getting another block for this. Hopefully they get you fixed up quickly.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I was pretty sure that you've done it, thanks.

Kicking a guy when he's down, I see! The shop I went to is my local shop 15 mins from my house, they also have top notch equipment (Sunnen CV 616), this can and does occasionally happen at any shop. These guys usually build pro-race motors that are way beyond my little mod motor BS, they do 3000+hp Pro-mods and offshore competition boats mostly, they are plenty qualified to do my stuff. I know MPR is a very good shop and I very well may use them sometime, just not this time. It wasn't an option to drive all my parts across the state at the time..otherwise it would be a no brainer.

Lol thanks Scott, I hear ya.

No intention on kicking you while you were down. As for what they normally build. I know of shops that do amazing work but for some reason struggle with Modular Motors. I am sure you will get it situated.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, it's 2 bolt mains.

Just a thought. They are paying for the damaged cylinder? Why not ask them to do all 8 for consistency and pay the difference?

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
How costly is it to sleeve a block. When I built this motor I went .020 over. I don't particularly want to go .030 over on the next build nor do I want to have to find another block.

Good luck getting another block for this. Hopefully they get you fixed up quickly.

IDK, I didn't have to pay for it lol.

Just a thought. They are paying for the damaged cylinder? Why not ask them to do all 8 for consistency and pay the difference?

Good idea but I think it still be pretty expensive, and not really necessary.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back