5.4 DOHC swap into 07 V6 (completed swap)

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I have finished my swap and I can honestly say that it was relatively easy and worthwhile. I have driven about 700 miles on it so far.

I bought my 2007 redfire "Pony" package V-6 5 speed car to use as a daily driver. It had the "flat" rear spoiler, 18" Marauder-type wheels, black Mustang lower stripes and a Shaker sound system. It reminded me of my 1969 Mach I that I painted metallic red back in the 1980's. I added a finned GT-look intake cover, BBK cat x-pipe dual exhaust and dual GT takeoff mufflers. One day in January on my way to work, I slid down an ice-covered hill sideways. I decided that I liked it better in one piece and made it a "fair weather" car. I added RetroUSA chrome front and rear bumpers, 1969 Mach I stripes, a black factory GT rear spoiler, a Boss 429 style hood scoop, rear side window scoops, an aftermarket black grill with Shelby GT running horse logo, Agent47 '69 style side mirrors, Vogtland springs, GT500 struts/shocks, and polished 18x8.5 factory wheels with 255/45zr's. It had the look, but not the power I wanted. Time to fix that...

I bought a new FRPP 5.4 iron block and FRPP 5.4 Lightning forged steel crank, Manley H-beam rods, Probe flat top 5.4 height forged pistons (real >11.5-1 compression), Melling hi-vol billet gear oil pump, new 2001 Cobra heads with new 2001 Cobra camshafts, SFI steel flywheel and damper, new valve covers and timing chain cover- custom powder coated bright metallic silver, 2007 GT500 oil pan/pickup, and tons of other small parts to finish the engine.

I knew I was using an Australian lower intake, but luckily I found an upper intake manifold made by Yella Terra in Australia that used a GT500 t-body. I used GT500 47lb injectors, Metco billet fuel rails, the V6's mass air meter, and I made a custom cold-air setup. I widened a 4.6 DOHC upper coolant tube to match the 5.4 width. Luckily the factory exhaust manifolds from the Cobra fit, because I had to sell my headers before I got a chance to cut the GT500 flanges off and reweld 4.6 DOHC flanges on and try them on (job loss, long story). The rest of the exhaust is a H-pipe w/ BBK high-flow cats and SN95 manifold hookups I welded on, factory GT dual pipes (like new $50 from guy on Craigslist), and FRPP "Stingers".

I found a guy selling brand new 2007 Mustang GT 3650 5 speeds and snagged one of those. I bought an Exedy Mach clutch set. I had a factory GT driveshaft pulled from a guy's car with under 500 miles on it. To finish off the drivetrain I ordered the FRPP 8.8" svt373 rear axle assembly. I also decided I wanted a rake, so I bought the same brand/style rear tires in a 255/55 to give a visual lift to the 255/45's I was using in the front.

To handle the heavier 5.4, I bought the FRPP 2300-D brake upgrade, new factory GT500 front & rear swaybars, the FRPP 18000-G GT500 lowering springs and red shocks/struts, FRPP C upper strut mounts, FRPP 3075-E lower front control arms, FRPP 5025-A frame brace, FRPP 5538-A rear lower arms, and FRPP 4264-A panhard bar.

Attachments

• the mustang.jpg
    the mustang.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Picture 360.jpg
    Picture 360.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Picture 895.jpg
    Picture 895.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Picture 890.jpg
    Picture 890.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Picture 833.jpg
    Picture 833.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 175
  • Picture 1020.jpg
    Picture 1020.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
To actually perform the swap, I had to keep two things in mind: 1. GT500 engine wiring harness and computer 2. the 4.6 and the 5.4 have many similar dimensions- so don't over-think it.

This swap could've been tons easier, made more power and probably cheaper if I had: a. used a manual steering rack instead of power b. deleted my air conditioning system c. used GT500 type heads and a Cobra R intake.

To get the engine in the car, I got a pair of the iron GT500 mount "ears" and bought aftermarket poly motor mounts for my own purposes (I don't like the squishy factory ones, but you can use them). You can use the 05+ GT or GT500 oil pan, just make sure that the pickup tube height is good off the bottom. You can use the factory Cobra iron exhaust manifolds. The transmission mounts are the same from the V6 and only required flipping the aluminum trans crossmember over (along with flipping the exhaust hanger mounts). Now you have the engine and trans in the car!

I got lucky and scored a 2007 GT500 computer and new engine harness. I bought a 2007 GT alternator and 2007 GT battery harness (I was using a GT alternator in the GT location, not the GT500 location). The air conditioner compressor is at the same location for the GT and GT500, but different from the V6, so some (not all) of the A/C lines needed to be purchased. The V6 power steering pump is different and a GT pump and the pressure-side hose/line is required. I decided to use the V6 heater hoses (cut and spliced to standard heater hose and a 2001 Cobra heater tube setup for the rear of the passenger head and a 1994 Lincoln Mark VIII nipple behind the water pump to make the heater hoses quick and simple.

As you can see, I removed the front bumper cover and I installed the engine and transmission joined together from the top, with the hood on at the regular height of my CDC hood struts. I did it by myself without any help and not a nick or scratch (I am very careful, use a tilter and I have been pulling/installing engines by myself for 30 years).

Attachments

• Picture 931.jpg
    Picture 931.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I have tried, but it keeps "waiting for the forum to respond." Maybe today is busy for uploads.

You can keep the V6 radiator and coolant expansion tank if you want (I went for the bigger Mishimoto radiator for no regrets).

For now, I am using the V6 fuel pump. It throws a code because the GT500 computer wants to see the two fuel pump drivers, but works fine without any other mods. Since I don't have any power adders, I really don't plan on adding the second pump. I used the Aeromotive fuel line adapter for the hardline under the master cylinder and then -06 an hose to the fuel rails.

The V6 dash and all of the features, including the dreaded PATS security work just fine after the Ford dealership entered my keys into the PATS system (easy job with their computer). The V6 tachometer works perfect and the gas mileage computer works and the odometer still reads my V6's original mileage, so no worries there.

I need to get a custom made center cover plate for the Aussie intake, but with funds being short, it won't happen in the near future. I also have a ton of other mods that I would like to do. I would like to get a passenger valvecover that has the vapor line fitting in the back. I would like to get another set of GT500 headers and cut the flanges off - so I can weld the standard 4.6 Cobra flanges on, which of course changes the whole exhaust H-pipe/cat arrangement.

Last edited:

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I can break it down a bit.
*The GT500 computer and wiring harness was a $500 deal. They would be a lot more if I didn't catch a deal (like someone stripping a GT500 for a drag car or using a different stand-alone).
*The engine and every detail for it was $6500, but that is all new and forged insides built by me, not bought (and the Aussie upper and lower were $2000).
*The trans cost me $800 new (you could get a used GT 3650 cheaper).
*The rear was about $1100 new (you get a GT 8.8" for under $500).

You could use a Navigator 5.4, Navi lower, custom/Ebay upper and save tons.

*You really wouldn't need all of the suspension upgrades either.

This is the original "Mach" that my family and I loved so much. It was a casualty of my divorce back in 1992, but I will never forget it. That car cost me $300 out of the junkyard, smashed front end, rusted floor pans, dog-chewed interior and a 351w that burned oil so bad it could barely run. My Dad and I worked long and hard to make it straight and my brother painted it in our garage (all things in the garage were forever coated in red over-spray). A neighbor had a 400M he said I could have if I pulled it. That engine was rebuilt with 351C domed pistons (bushed the small end of the rods), a choppy Chet Herbert cam (.540" lift), 2V heads, Edelbrock StreetMaster single plane, 780cfm Holley 4bbl and modified Hedman headers (made for the 351C). That 400M was the first engine I built (dozens more followed) and it would absolutely smoke off those N50 Mickey Thompsons (even with 4 people in the car). Since then, '69 Mach I prices have gone through the roof and my pay has gone through the floor, so the chances of me ever owning another one are slim.
_
_

Attachments

• stunning.jpg
    stunning.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 104.jpg
    Picture 104.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
My pics are coming in slowly, plus I lost a bunch I have to look for. If you are looking for any particular thing, just let me know.

I have my interior shot. I switched from the Pony "flat-panel" leather covers to a brand new take-off set of 2005 GT "ribbed" leather skins (thanks Ebay!) so they looked more like the '69 Mach seats. I also used a lot of chrome trim and finished it off with a 2013 air bag (so it had the metal disc center).

Basically, I love it. I did get a custom tune for it, but it does need a tune adjustment to fight off the rich at full throttle running issue, but nothing bad. I do have to chase down a sound that comes in around 7000rpm (fuel cut-out I think). I can't help running it that high though, because it seems to get an extra kick about 5500 through 6500 and I try to stay in it, but it pops and I shift...

So far I have won a third place and a 1st place in 1990-newer categories. I just have a hard time sitting for hours at shows, so I know there aren't going to be too many more trophies.

Last edited:

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
finished it off with a 2013 air bag (so it had the metal disc center).
So far I have won a third place and a 1st place in 1990-newer categories
This is incredible, I would love to do somthing similar with my GT (I like the idea of bigger Ci)

Where did you get the 2013 airbag from and how was it installed (cover or whole airbag) I have a 2013 gt500 wheel in mine and would like to install the matching airbag if I could.

I think you should go out to some shows even just for a little while, I know the guys at my local club would all be huddling around looking at it

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
cool swap, what sort of power you think the motor makes?

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Tough to say on the power. Once I get the money for the correct tune, I will be taking it to the chassis dyno for a number.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
I got the air bag from the Ford dealer (contained/bolt-in unit). They plug right in.

Do you mean the Yella Terra upper? They are very simple casting created by modifying the factory Boss 260/290 upper for the GT500 dual t-body (Aussie original has a single-round bore t-body). The only mod besides the GT500 t-body flange is the opposite side is kicked out about 2" for more intake volume. The sad part is that Yella Terra in Australia wanted $1200 for one when I got mine. They list them for $900 now, but I don't even know if they make them anymore (part YT 5400LIDBL).

You could take the old Boss 260/290 upper and saw that single off and use aluminum plate to weld up a dual bore flange (would've been much easier and a lot cheaper for me). If I were doing it again, I would probably get a FRPP Cobra Jet Coyote intake and use the adapters MMR has.

Last edited:

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
That sure as heck is interesting, would definitely have me scratching my head at a car show

glawson1133

Reaction score
So I may or may not be resurrecting this thread from the dead but you said you had GT500 struts/shocks in a v6 body, how did those mount up? Did you need any adapter mounts or something of the sort? I ask because I'm about to redo the suspension of my own v6 and could get my hands on a set of GT500 struts/shocks to go with my Eibach lowering springs for a good price and I know those will be better than slapping these springs on factory v6 struts/shocks. Thanks!

NickD87

forum member
Reaction score
So I may or may not be resurrecting this thread from the dead but you said you had GT500 struts/shocks in a v6 body, how did those mount up? Did you need any adapter mounts or something of the sort? I ask because I'm about to redo the suspension of my own v6 and could get my hands on a set of GT500 struts/shocks to go with my Eibach lowering springs for a good price and I know those will be better than slapping these springs on factory v6 struts/shocks. Thanks!

if you look around you will discover that the 05-14 chassis base v6 up to gt500 is all the same base chassis and shocks/struts springs etc are all interchangeable

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back