'96 F250 PowerStroke Build (Another Ridiculous Build Thread Provided by Cam)

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Well, I know many of you know and I type about it frequently - I got myself into another build... it's a terrible sickness and I've learned to just embrace it.

I'll start from the beginning as there is a little back story to this project. Back in 1996 my dad brought home a Bright Red 1996 F-series HD... I thought it was the coolest damn thing ever. The diesel engine sounded awesome, and the overall look of the truck was just badass. Keep in mind I was 5 years old, but the image of that truck has always stuck with me. Along with this experience, my father had a Franklin Mint 1:24 scale of a 1996 F-150 in his office that I would always play with. He still has this model and two years ago my GF found a mint condition one that I added to my diecast collection.

1996%20Ford%20F-150%20XLT%204X4%20Pickup%20Franklin%20Mint.jpg

Since high school I looked for the perfect OBS (older-body-style / Pre 96 3/4 ton and Pre 97 1/2 ton) Ford. It was next to impossible to find what I was looking for. My simple check list was a F250 or F350 4X4 Regular Cab with 8' bed and a 7.3L PowerStroke. I looked off and on. I would fall out of the search and get distracted with other projects and then I'd search again.

Then something happened.

I was working sales at our Ford store on a Saturday in August and I took a phone call from a guy who was interested in a 2005 F250 that I had in-stock. He was about 3-4 hours away and this was at 11AM. I answered his questions and he said he would be on the way. I was looking out the window and low and behold I see the truck I would soon own - a 1996 Bright Red F250 4x4 PowerStroke. I was ecstatic. Simply put, the deal worked out and we sold him a truck and took in the '96 F250. I drove it home to show my GF and she didn't hesitate to tell me that it was too much of a coincidence to ignore. I was 50/50 on buying it since I really didn't need another money pit but she convinced me that it was here to stay.

Let the pictures do the rest of the talking though.

Right after I took it in on trade before I drove home.

tv3pLvz.jpg

The next week I cleaned the exterior a tad bit.

J9jCrei.jpg

She's not a low mileage queen by any means...

clRnKG4.jpg

I sold the toolbox the previous owner and also pulled the drop in bedliner. You can see the driver side cab corner is rotted. I plan to take care of this soon.

aWgPCmN.jpg

liB1YdW.jpg

Equipped with the Ford Murder-Red Interior. Looks decent but the truck is a XL with no power windows, locks, or mirrors and I'll be upfitting all of that along with the Ford Opal Grey interior.

Ro2V0NE.jpg

Like any old vehicle, a lot of maintenance was performed. It needed new rear leaf shackles, a full fluid flush and an alternator.

AQAYZHX.jpg

kFvTqGS.jpg

zzJPDZh.jpg

Unfortunately the previous owner hauled a good deal of mulch and a lot of it got trapped under the drop in bed liner which caused rotting too. Upsetting since I didn't see it earlier but can be fixed.

c8DlryB.jpg

eNJBBWU.jpg

Giving her all she's got.

HtTy4Rh.jpg

All cleaned up and replaced two of the clearance light bulbs.

bsLepEY.jpg

Replaced the worn out steering box with a 'RedHead' steering box.

hj1zuPN.jpg

This truck was 100% stock, nothing except for a trailer brake controller and a Reese receiver. It was time to pull the insanely restrictive OBS 7.3 exhaust. I installed a 3" downpipe to a 4" exhaust made by Diamond Eye.

LLeMxEf.jpg

0HCuB1o.jpg

Torched the downpipe in half since it is wedged in there tight.

OSIVYNg.jpg

Look how flat this thing is. It's unreal.

mz6S1wh.jpg

Here's a view of seeing up to the turbo outlet. It's incredibly narrow and with help, I used a portapower to push the firewall up and create clearance.

CKdXMv3.jpg

lIUezXD.jpg

8TfCRT2.jpg

Then it came time to address the rest of the suspension. I wanted to lift the truck a bit and improve the ride. Normal lift kits for these trucks reduce ride quality for the most part and I didn't want that. As tempted as I was to clearance 37"-38" tires... it just wouldn't work for me. Plus the F250 of this era has a Twin-Traction Beam axle that acts like a IFS. This would have to go since they just aren't great for what I was looking for. I opted on a year correct F350 Dana 60 solid front axle.

I did a lot of research on these trucks and saw there are kits known as "Reverse Shackle Kits" which would allow the use of Super Duty leaf springs in the front of the truck with the Dana 60. This is where it gets fun.

My GF got me the RSK as a Hannukah gift and I pieced together a variety of other pieces such as Bilstein shocks valved properly for this setup, drop pitman arm, drop trackbar bracket, adjustible track arm, new front and rear SD leafs along with a 4.5" block for the rear. Oh yeah - I also sourced a F350 Dana 60.

Fx3aPBM.jpg

oZ0xkqd.jpg

58G3XK3.jpg

Unlike the build of the Bullitt where I did 99.9% of the work, I don't have as much free time as I used to and enlisted help of a local fab shop to install the RSK with the axle swap since it required a good amount of welding. Plus they have access for misc hardware and from what I've seen in their work I trust the product will be completed well.

I visited their shop today to take a look at truck. I'll post pictures of it's current progress.

Sorry for such a length first post, but I hope everyone enjoys it!

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
What an awesome project. My first truck was a maroon 94 F150 with the I6 and a 4+OD tranny. Regular cab, extended bed, and a shell. Got it from my grandpa when he passed away. Sub'd for more.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Install these and thank me later. Had them on every truck I have owned for the past 20 years. They flat out work. I had a lift put in a F150, I was on my way back to the shop to have it removed, the ride was so unbearable. Shop suggested these as a last ditch effort. I was amazed! They kill the jitters from the ass end of an unloaded truck.

http://www.sulastic.com/

Nice build!

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
This is going to be badass Cam! I'm excited to see what you do with it, these are easily one of the best looking F-Series trucks in my opinion.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
What an awesome project. My first truck was a maroon 94 F150 with the I6 and a 4+OD tranny. Regular cab, extended bed, and a shell. Got it from my grandpa when he passed away. Sub'd for more.

Nice, those I6's run really well.

Install these and thank me later. Had them on every truck I have owned for the past 20 years. They flat out work. I had a lift put in a F150, I was on my back to the shop to have it removed, the ride was so unbearable. Shop suggested these as a last ditch effort. I was amazed! They kill the jitters from the ass end of an unloaded truck.

http://www.sulastic.com/

Nice build!

Very neat - I haven't come across that before.

sweet lookin truck

This is going to be badass Cam! I'm excited to see what you do with it, these are easily one of the best looking F-Series trucks in my opinion.

Cool build Cam!

Thanks fellas. I really look forward to building this the way I want.

Here are more pictures as promised -

A picture of the Dana 60. It's a little rough around the edges but it was pulled from a working truck and I plan to have it serviced soon after installed.

O1r32dl.jpg

I went and visited the truck today at the local fab shop doing the work. New SD rear leafs installed with the 4.5" block. Keep in mind the old shocks are not staying on.

BO2G3vb.jpg

7sjnUKy.jpg

Said bye bye to the Dana50/Twin-Traction-Beam/IFS

2A0LGrB.jpg

I forgot to mention the frame on this truck is excellent. It was undercoated when new I'm blown away with how solid it is. Put a new coat of paint on it to freshen it up.

IluvDo5.jpg

Picture of the 4" exhaust.

UM9npxL.jpg

As she sits in the front. You can see the RSK is installed with the brackets coming out from under the bumper. It's a little odd looking but when it comes together it will look fine.

ZOBbRcu.jpg

I estimate that all this work should be done by next week. I also enlisted the shop to refinish the factory Alcoa aluminum wheels (strip clear/polish/re-clear). I definitely need tires and plan on going with a BFG 315/75/16 since they fit on the stock wheels (which I really love) and it is 35"~ .... unfortunately they are on backorder indefinitely.... so I'll be rolling on rubber bands for however long it takes lol.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Back when trucks still looked and felt like trucks. :thumb:

Mustang Mark

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome project! I plan on doing something very similar when I get the garage space, I love the old powerstrokes.

IndyEric

forum member
Reaction score
I love these trucks, this one looks awesome. The lower back doesn't like that brick like ride, though. Like riding a piece of heavy equipment.

VA Raptor

forum member
Reaction score
I definitely need tires and plan on going with a BFG 315/75/16 since they fit on the stock wheels (which I really love) and it is 35"~ .... unfortunately they are on backorder indefinitely.... so I'll be rolling on rubber bands for however long it takes lol.

Pretty sure that's because the switch to the KO2's. Tire Rack shows the KO2's coming in stock today.

Great project and story to go along with it, Cam! Looking forward to see the build progress.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Awesome. Back when trucks still looked and felt like trucks. :thumb:

Truth.

I love these trucks, this one looks awesome. The lower back doesn't like that brick like ride, though. Like riding a piece of heavy equipment.

I agree the front of this thing felt awful at any road irregularity, but with the modern SD springs it will ride much better.

Pretty sure that's because the switch to the KO2's. Tire Rack shows the KO2's coming in stock today.

Great project and story to go along with it, Cam! Looking forward to see the build progress.

Yeah, I've been waiting for the KO2 specifically. I'd order from Tire Rack, but when I order through our store it is cheaper with a rebate and I don't have to pay $32 for each tire to ship.

Thanks bud, I wish I could dig in and do everything all at once.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Called one of our tire vendors and they just got in a shipment of 20 BFG K02's. Ordered 4 and they showed up in less than 30 minutes. Very excited just need to get the truck back, which should be done beginning of next week.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Called one of our tire vendors and they just got in a shipment of 20 BFG K02's. Ordered 4 and they showed up in less than 30 minutes. Very excited just need to get the truck back, which should be done beginning of next week.

Very interesting getting ready to get new rubber for my 1994 F350 and will look hard at these, thanks

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
such a cool truck! I'll be checking back in. I like where your heading with this.

:thumb2:

Very interesting getting ready to get new rubber for my 1994 F350 and will look hard at these, thanks

I've been meaning to get pictures, the new side tread is really nice looking.

Little update - tomorrow I'm taking the new tires to the shop that is doing the work on the truck. I've decided get the original Alcoa wheels completely refinished (powdercoated in clear after stripped/buffed) so they need to take the old tires off and instead of putting them back on, just deciding to get the new tires installed at the same time at there shop.

Also I'll be installing 2" spacers on the rear axle to get the wheel offset level with the Dana 60. The D60 is 4" longer than the rear Sterling 10.25" so it looks pretty odd. However, one day, I do plan on installing a Sterling 10.5" in the rear so I can have disc brakes. This will be level with the front D60 without the use of spacers.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back