4V swap into s197?

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
Can you swap a 4.6 4v motor into the s197 with a 3v motor? saw one on a local performance parts page and now I'm curious.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
You can but like any engine swap you will also need the wiring harness, PCM. Not sure what your going to gain, the 4v breathes a tad better on the exhaust side but that's it. There is better support with the 4.6l 3v I believe. Plus the 4v is drive by cable not wire so you will need a whole new pedal setup to run the old style cable system or somehow make drive by wire work on it.

Last edited:

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Tungsten_GT, I put a 5.4 DOHC into my car by myself. How much work you can do yourself will determine the cost of your swap. I guess you have to decide if why you are doing it justifies the expense. Also, don't forget that if you have a state inspection, you are not going to pass a visual check, unless you know people.

Straight-up, the 4.6 with a stock DOHC Cobra head/cam/intake setup isn't going to really make that much more power than a 3V. Now once you get into power-adders, the DOHC starts to gain advantages. The DOHC heads, valve covers and intake manifolds are a lot heavier than the 3V parts too.

As far as appearance goes, to my eyes, a properly detailed DOHC beats anything. But if you are going to coat everything in black, you can't really see the beauty of this engine anyway.

If you need any specifics, let me know.

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
I was planning on going turbo with the 4V motor, I knew about the wiring and pedals, I know some people to pass me through an inspection. I was hoping to see if someone has done the swap before so I could see what it entails

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Go Coyote 5.0 instead. You can buy the computer, harness and pedals for $1600 and drop it in.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
That swap sounds great! I did it with a 5.4 and you can see in my signature that I used a GT500 PCM and engine harness because I knew I wanted to run a GT500 blower in the future, so it was easier.

Honestly, you could run the 3V PCM and modify the harness. I think the guy is still on here with the dark blue Mustang that did it that way (pretty sure he shut off the passenger cam position sensor and all that 3V cam stuff in the tune). And as far as the wireless throttle, that is as easy as a homemade 1/2" adapter plate, no point trying to do the cable.

If you are using your 4.6 shortblock and just putting heads and the timing cover on it, no problem with motor mounts and mount "ears". MMR makes the plates for other blocks, I used the GT500 iron mount ears for my 5.4. I am sure that you know that your 3V has a 6-bolt flywheel and you probably want to go forged pistons/rods/crank for your turbo, so you need an 8-bolt flywheel (best to buy with your clutch as an SFI rated setup, like Ram dual-disc Force 9.5). Trans bolts right up and will work until it breaks from hp/tq increase.

If you are running a 99-01 Cobra or 03/04 Mach upper and lower intake manifold, you can keep your 3V alternator + Cobra bracket right where it is, but the t-body/air inlet is on the "crowded" side of the engine compartment. You could use the 03/04 Mercury Marauder upper (same lower as Cobra/Mach) to put the t-body on the driver's side. The 4.6 DOHC has the black steel pipe for the coolant crossover. The Air conditioning compressor remains as it is. The power steering pump is mounted the same place. You can put on the 13/14 GT500 cast oil pan for lots of volume. The Cobra iron exhaust manifolds fit without any issues (I even ran them on my wider 5.4 without any mods), but your turbo will change all of that to custom.

It's actually a really easy swap if you take out the complexity of your turbo piping/components. The best part is that all of your gauges and everything else will work (anti-Coyote pitch there)!

After all of that, it's all about the tuner.

Last edited:

Kidd

forum member
Reaction score
Go Coyote 5.0 instead. You can buy the computer, harness and pedals for $1600 and drop it in.

This^^^^^ Why put the money and effort into a swap that is going to make less power then a swap of the same complexity or less and maybe close to the same cost?
You can pick up a 5.0 truck motor from Keystone for $15-2500, pcm - $1500, fuel $200+ depending on what you want. Heck buy a totalled '15 for that matter, swap everything over and scrap the rest. Not trying to be a negative Nelly but the coyote swap just seems to make more sense imo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back