BBB Winter Build - KISS or...

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what 6-8 psi would do to a 323 with the supporting cast I have? Plenty of time to figure that out as it won't be happening any time soon, though. If I do it, I'll go small twins. The car is a corner carver, so I'd like to keep temps down and reliability up. I'm always planning for what comes next. The kid's college fund isn't the only fund I'm stashing away.

So many mods to make before I tear into another motor project. I'm still running stock seats for goodness sake. Lots more to do... stiffer coilover setup, bushings, wheels and tires, front splitter setup that I can get onto a trailer, and the list goes on.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I wonder what 6-8 psi would do to a 323 with the supporting cast I have?

7psi with my 322 produced 587rhwp on E85. That was with a M122 blower. 12:1, FRPP cnc heads, custom cams that are basically 127500 locked out at a 108 icl with 113lsa, and stock cats. IIRC that was with 23 degrees of spark advance at wot.

That's significantly more than a 330 inch GT500 makes with the same blower, more boost, and better heads.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's significantly more than a 330 inch GT500 makes with the same blower, more boost, and better heads.

I never stopped to ponder that one. Good point. I recall your numbers from your build, and I'm trying to exercise the same patience you have shown and enjoy the NA motor. That assumes I'll get it done. The motor isn't together in NA trim yet.

Btw, this whole TT thing came up because a local gas station chain is now carrying E85 at all of their stations. Availability is no longer an issue.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
7psi with my 322 produced 587rhwp on E85. That was with a M122 blower. 12:1, FRPP cnc heads, custom cams that are basically 127500 locked out at a 108 icl with 113lsa, and stock cats. IIRC that was with 23 degrees of spark advance at wot.

CR, CR, CR.... 5.4L has 8.5 CR IIRC and 8-9 psi

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
CR, CR, CR.... 5.4L has 8.5 CR IIRC and 8-9 psi

I think there is something to be said for the larger bore helping with the combustion process.

Bruce was at 12:1, and I'm at 10.2:1. I can dial the boost up a little if I need to, but I'm hoping I can control myself and keep the power modest and usable. I know I'll want to crank it to the moon after my first Optima event, but I'll try to resist the urge. Seeing guys effectively put down 800-900 hp on street tires is awesome, but I don't have their tire budget... or sponsors.

If I do dial it up, there's always water/meth available to tame the heat, but I get a little freaked out thinking about adding things that can grenade my engine with a lean condition. I did see a lean shutdown system on a post the other day that was pretty nifty insurance.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm UP!!! And so is the car.

On the lift.jpg

Here's the assembled motor minus the C&L Al intake.

Assembled motor less intake.jpg

I am so ready to begin the break in process. I wish I hadn't just typed the word "break" in this thread. I've seen too many 'good build gone bad' threads on this forum to be comfortable. Even when all the work has been done by pros with tons of Mustang experience.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Preparing for the marriage.

Motor on K-member.jpg

I did manage to get my '02 VW GTI "parts car" out of the designated Mustang spot in the garage last night. I may try to bring the GTI back to life if the problems under the hood don't prove to be cost prohibitive.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam...

Motor Chassis Marriage.jpg

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
You spelled "togevah" wrong but yeah, I still got the reference! Ha!

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out comes the Ram Twin Disc in favor of a McLeod RXT, McLeod lightened steel flywheel, and FRPP SS clutch line. If I do add turbos, I'll need the extra capacity of the RXT, so may as well do it now.

McLeod RXT Clutch.jpg

McLeod Lightened Steel Flywheel.jpg

FRPP SS Clutch Line.jpg

I have an estimate from RAM of $550 to rebuild the existing clutch, so we'll see how long it sits on the shelf or I test the open market.

travelers

Reaction score
That looks like a good choice. I have the RST waiting to go in with the T56 XL when I get time.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahhhh... T56XL... I'm a little jealous.

I know the tranny will be the weak link when I roll the extra ponies into the stable. I am going to see how the 3650 holds up in a weekender / auto-x / road course car. The Barton shifter has me actually enjoying the tranny. I believe I'll be OK with 425 - 450 horses at the wheels. I'm not living a 1/4 mile at a time.

I feel like this is the foreshadowing section of my thread. I see myself in the future saying, "Refer back to post #55. See, I knew this would be a problem."

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up my ride on Saturday. Keeping the revs under 4500rpm for the first couple hundred miles or so. I'm also trying to do as much compression braking as I can to help seal the stainless steel rings. Going back in 500 miles for the first oil change and evaluation. If everything looks good, we'll put it on the dyno and tweak the tune.

As an aside, when I arrived, the guys at Pro Dyno were all hovered over a blue S197 like a DOT crew. Turns out a Battle at the Beach competitor was getting some tweaks preparing for the dyno competition when the double keyed balancer let go and took a chunk of the crank with it. 1300whp has a tendency to do that from time to time.

Mustang Week in Myrtle this week. I may have to sit it out this year since there is no way I could properly break my motor in with that high level of testosterone floating in the air.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Picked up my ride on Saturday. Keeping the revs under 4500rpm for the first couple hundred miles or so. I'm also trying to do as much compression braking as I can to help seal the stainless steel rings. Going back in 500 miles for the first oil change and evaluation. If everything looks good, we'll put it on the dyno and tweak the tune.

As an aside, when I arrived, the guys at Pro Dyno were all hovered over a blue S197 like a DOT crew. Turns out a Battle at the Beach competitor was getting some tweaks preparing for the dyno competition when the double keyed balancer let go and took a chunk of the crank with it. 1300whp has a tendency to do that from time to time.

Mustang Week in Myrtle this week. I may have to sit it out this year since there is no way I could properly break my motor in with that high level of testosterone floating in the air.

So how is it now?

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
So how is it now?

Running well. Due to the C&L intake and Stage 3 Livernois heads and cams, the motor won't really come alive until 4K. That makes is real hard to stay under 4.5K when it really wants to start screaming just as I lift and shift. I did hit 5.2K on a freeway ramp with the rear end stepping out just a bit, though. I have 130 miles on it since the rebuild, but it has been sitting since last Thursday since I took a golf trip last weekend. Scores of 77, 79, and 77 did put some more funds in the wallet to help recover from the Pro Dyno bill, and yes, I did use my S197 Challenge Coin as a marker all weekend.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Up to 435 miles on the 5.3L, and I have an oil change / analysis and tune scheduled at Pro Dyno for 8/10. If all goes well, and the dyno results roll in, I'll post the chart here. If this thing isn't 400whp+, I'm going to be bummed. I expect my numbers to keep rising as it continues to break in. I'm very interested to see what happens under the curve. I really want more torque from 3K-6K more than anything.

Planning to run a local AutoX in Winston on the 21st, and VIR on 9/10 and 9/11. All depends upon the oil analysis, though.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
THE RESULTS ARE IN.. and I'm not disappointed. Car is tuned for 93 Octane, and it still has some breaking in to do. Very small amount of glitter in the oil after 600 miles. It should get stronger over time. I'll just stay after the oil changes.

Posting a couple of pics to prove it happened.On the Dyno 8-10-16.jpg

Pro Dyno 8-10-16.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back