Going From Straight Line to AX.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
90mph at an autocross? Where the heck are you running, cuz I want to go there!

Lots of folks like Carbotech. I like Hawk HPS 5.0 pads for dual use street/autocross. Some people don't like Hawk because of previous pad compounds they made, but I've got nothing but good things to say about the new 5.0 pads. Work fine at low temperatures, very little noise, no dust, great pedal feel, no fade during autocross.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
90mph at an autocross? Where the heck are you running, cuz I want to go there!

When NASA does the "lazycross" at MIR, it is open enough to achieve it with the right car. I was running close to the top of 4th in some areas in my GT, where as the tighter courses you barely leave 2nd. I think I was able to do it in the truck in the straight coming up to the 90's, though it was killing the brakes.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I think they just confuse themselves with the space program, and want to turn the cars into rockets. :)

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I can confirm that HP+ are killing my rear rotors. I leave them in all the time since it's a pain in the ass to swap rear pads. I use Porterfield R4 up front with Brembo's and really like them on the track. With fluid and cooling ducts I can beat the crap out of the brakes all day and they don't care. And they aren't eating the rotors.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
So, it's been a while since this thread was updated. I can rightfully say that the swap was not as easy and fool proof as I thought it was going to be. With that being said, the car has under-gone a few changes.

For starters, I went simple. In the few events I got to run last year through the hectic schedule, I spend more time sliding in the factor seat and seatbelt than I did actually driving. I decided to order and install a SFI approved 5pt harness and have full intentions of ordering a FIA approved racing seat later in the spring.

Next step was to try and control the massive amount of body roll. For this, I looked to my trusty BMR catalog. I called up and I ordered a front and rear package. Adjustable 35mm front, and non adjustable 22mm with their massive end links. I almost didn't want to toss these things under the car they are so sexy.

Last thing I ordered and installed during the off season was a set of coil overs. I settled on a set of BC Racing Coil Overs. I ordered a set of BR Type, linear valving, 400lb front springs, 280lb rear springs. Tied it all together with a alignment following Sky Renders alignment specs (just with a little less camber at 1.5*).

First points event of the year is on the 23rd. So far the car feels amazing. I am really looking forward to getting the car on track and getting to really dial the car in.

Attachments

• IMG_4523.jpg
    IMG_4523.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4527.jpg
    IMG_4527.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4526.jpg
    IMG_4526.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4487.jpg
    IMG_4487.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4528.jpg
    IMG_4528.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4524.jpg
    IMG_4524.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 9

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please keep the updates coming as the season progresses.

I'm in the same boat you are with my stock seats. I put 4-point ASM harnesses in that help to stabilize my torso, but the stock leather seats are just no good. Even when I make them a little sticky with some leather cleaner, the lack of lateral support on the seat bottom still means the sides of my knees take a beating whether Auto-X or HPDE.

Best of luck to you with your new habit.

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat you are with my stock seats. I put 4-point ASM harnesses in that help to stabilize my torso, but the stock leather seats are just no good. Even when I make them a little sticky with some leather cleaner, the lack of lateral support on the seat bottom still means the sides of my knees take a beating whether Auto-X or HPDE.

I'm also struggling with the seat. ( i don't want to drop the cash on the factory recaros that are legal in Stock class)

what I do is move the seat back an inch. pull the belt tight and get the intertia lock to engage. then slide to seat forward to keep the belt tight and locked in.

similar to what a CG lock does.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the Schroth Quick-fit harnesses.

Rehagen Racing turned me on to the Scroth Profi II ASM 4-point harness (expandable to 5 or 6 point as well). I use factory mounting points and keep my OEM 3 point belts hooked up for use around town.

Your choice of performance seats hinges on whether you want to delete your rear seats or not. I'm trying to keep my car a four seater (no real reason other than I may as well have bought a Vette if I only wanted two seats), so I'll likely go with the Corbeau Sportline RRB reclining seats. Side mounted fixed seats offer the most stable platform though. Also, if you want the 5th or 6th belt, I believe you'll have to go the fixed seat route. I don't know of any seats that offer slots for the crotch belts that are slider mounted and promote rear seat access.

The above conundrum is why I haven't pulled the trigger on seats yet. I think I just need to ditch the rear seat ideology.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
What tires are you running? Looking forward to seeing more replies on how your car is doing this season.

I am currently running MT Street Comps in a 275/35/18 on a 18x9 SVE Drift. Not really impressed by them. In the future, I will more than likely not run the street comp again. Not sure what I WILL run, however, I do know it wont be the Street Comp.

Size will more than likely stay the same, as that what will fit the Street Touring (SCCA) rule limit for tire and rim size.

As for the seat chat; I am more than willing to delete the rear seat, as for what I can tell from SCCA rules, street touring does not say that the rear seat needs to be in place (someone who is more knowledge, please correct me).

Not sure if I said it before, but I am trying to keep the car in Street Touring, I feel that is where the car will fit best. SO FAR, from what I can understand, everything I have done keeps me in line for the class.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
SCCA's general philosophy for Solo rules is that if the rules don't specifically state that a particular change is a legal mod for a given category (i.e. Street Touring), then by default you cannot.

Norm

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to defend Sky Render here. They are the size tire and wheel the OP is running now, and nothing beats them in an auto-x.

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Only 3 days out from the first race of the year, Saturday I plan on throwing the car on the rack and going through everything to make sure it is ready to go.

List of things to do is;
-Grease all bushings
-Do a brake fluid flush and bleed calipers
-Check all coil locking rings
-Rotate tires
-Most importantly do a overall good quality check.

After that it is a matter of clean the car up a little bit, throw a roll of painters tape in the back seat and pack the car up and get ready to go out and have some fun.
This will be my first "Points" run in this type of racing. If anyone has any pointers or tips I am more than open to them. My goal isn't to go out and win, as being a "rookie" I doubt it'll be doable. But to be semi-competitive (don't show up in dead last all year) and have fun.

Update for class, to the best of my knowledge the car ends up in STP, which is where I intended to run. Hopefully in that class I will be able to be "semi-competitive".

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Post Track-Day Update;

Going on a week after my first AX event.

Things that went great; The car did what I thought was great. It was far more settled in the corners than before. Felt way more stable. Braking felt great (compared to stock pads and rotors). I was amazed at how much a harness helped keep me stable (a seat would be the next step, but it will wait). Most importantly, the club that ran the event was awesome, everyone was more than willing to share tips to the new guys, it was well run, and I had a blast.

Things that went not so great; Most easily put, my lack of seat time. I did one half-assed AX event last year. And this was far from what I ran last year. I never realized how poor of a driver I was until Sunday rolled around. The average lap time was about 94 seconds on a 1.05 mile track. And my quickest lap was a 94.122 and average was a 94.321. I came in 11th out of 30 in the "Rookie Heat" and was about .200 off being top 10.

I feel like the car has a lot quicker times in it. I just need the driver to be able to drive.

Attachments

• 33399694384_59baabc8da_o.jpg
    33399694384_59baabc8da_o.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 5
  • 34084146042_dbf9cca665_o.jpg
    34084146042_dbf9cca665_o.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 34200555606_84bce20d66_o.jpg
    34200555606_84bce20d66_o.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 5
  • 33430340513_0cc8fc6965_o.jpg
    33430340513_0cc8fc6965_o.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 5

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Event 2 Update;

We ran shorter course, and it rained steadily during the first heat. By the time mine came around, track was still wet, and by the end of my heat, it was starting to dry, but was still really spotty and had "rivers" running across track in a couple of corners.

I am getting much much more confident in the car. I feel as though I am starting to get more confident with the turning, starting to understand how I should be looking at corners ext. I can tell that there is still a ton of improvement to be made.

Final results from 2nd event; 6th out of 30 in the "rookie class" and 2nd of 4 in STP.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back