Harness Choices?

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
What's everyone's favorite choice of harness? I am going to be putting in my harness bar soon and want to pick out a good set of harnesses.
Not looking to break the bank. But also don't want ebay nonsense.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Schroth Profi II ASM 4 point harness. It can be used with stock seats. When I do put more supportive seats in the car, the harness can be upgraded to 5 or 6 point, and it is compatible with Hans devices. Also, they are available with a pushbutton release (FE model) that is street legal, or you can opt for the traditional twist lock.

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
Are the schroth harnesses compatible with the corbeau harness bar? I was thinking either the Schroth 4 point or a 5 point harness. Looking for mostly autocross and track days

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Oof. A harness bar really isn't designed for the potential forces you'd see in a road-course crash. More designed for the typical forces you'd see cornering/braking in an autocross.

If you want a race seat and harness in an open-track environment, you'd be MUCH better served with a proper rollbar.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Oof. A harness bar really isn't designed for the potential forces you'd see in a road-course crash. More designed for the typical forces you'd see cornering/braking in an autocross.

If you want a race seat and harness in an open-track environment, you'd be MUCH better served with a proper rollbar.

Exactly. This is why I asked what OP's intent is.

Technically, the Schroth 4-point harnesses I have are ASM (Anti-submarining) and are thus safe to use in a rollover, but I'm not sure I want to test that out. I still use my stock 3-point belts for track days and only use the 4-points for cone dodging.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
I have the Schroth Profi II ASM 4 point harness. It can be used with stock seats. When I do put more supportive seats in the car, the harness can be upgraded to 5 or 6 point, and it is compatible with Hans devices. Also, they are available with a pushbutton release (FE model) that is street legal, or you can opt for the traditional twist lock.

I went with the Schroth Profi II ASM 4 point harness/FE that I later upgraded to 6 point to run the shoulder straps. Good stuff but pretty pricey. Lap belts to factory mount locations, shoulders straps, to Corbeu harness bar, sub belts to tank plate behind the seat.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
Exactly. This is why I asked what OP's intent is.

Technically, the Schroth 4-point harnesses I have are ASM (Anti-submarining) and are thus safe to use in a rollover, but I'm not sure I want to test that out. I still use my stock 3-point belts for track days and only use the 4-points for cone dodging.

ASM is about letting a shoulder roll forward so the lap belt doesn't ride up above the pelvis / into your guts and spine.

The rollover/cage argument has a camp that preaches no harness unless full cage as you are now locked upright (4pt, 5 pt, 6pt) in your seat vs factory 3 point that may allow you to twist sideways. Personally, I'm comfortable with the factory roof/pillar strength in my 2014.

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
As far as I've seen, if safety is a concern you should never never never use a 4-point harness. They will allow your legs and lower body to slide forward and you can slip out of the harness in a crash. Some say they are anti-submarining but none have really been tested.
I'd stick with factory belt, or a 5 or 6 point harness.
With a fixed-back seat, you should at least have a roll bar. I wouldn't ever put a full cage in a street or dual-duty car unless you plan on wearing a helmet full time.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As far as I've seen, if safety is a concern you should never never never use a 4-point harness. They will allow your legs and lower body to slide forward and you can slip out of the harness in a crash. Some say they are anti-submarining but none have really been tested.
I'd stick with factory belt, or a 5 or 6 point harness.
With a fixed-back seat, you should at least have a roll bar. I wouldn't ever put a full cage in a street or dual-duty car unless you plan on wearing a helmet full time.

Actually, Schroth has tested their anti-submarining harnesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGfrL3PcwtA

Note that I still only use my for autocross.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, Schroth has tested their anti-submarining harnesses.

I'm saying if it was good in 1982, it must be even better now. Best part of the video is the 911s are like a time warp. So few changes in the basic shape over the years. The cheezy actors... not so much.

There is more recent data on the Schroth website. The ASM was recommended to me by the guys at Rehagen Racing. After doing my research, I agree with their assessment.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back