Thoughts on MMR headrest camera mount?

forum member
Reaction score
The disclaimer says not to use it with a passenger on board. I would think your camera/phone could become a projectile if something fails in the event of a crash. But driving events require helmets anyway so I can't see it being a huge risk of head injuries. An impact hard enough to startle a mount like this could break bones/organs so you'll have bigger problems to worry about anyway.

Just my thoughts. I am no safety engineer. As with all MMR products, use at your own risk. :stir:

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many professional drivers mount Go-Pros in their vehicles. I don't believe the headrest would be compromised in any way from the mounting in question. It's not like Michael Schumacher's incident while skiing that was so unfortunate. His injuries were exacerbated by the weakening of the helmet structure from the camera mount.

Point the mount out to your instructor, and if he doesn't like it... remove it immediately with no questions asked.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I like a suction cup mount for my GoPro. You can move it around to different mounting locations on the car between each session to get different angles. But my videos are 99% just for fun and entertainment. :shrug:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
I haven't seen a pic of it mounted in the car, but based solely on the view angle, it looks like the end of the "billy club" would protrude into the passenger side seat space. I would hate to get beaned or stabbed with that in the event of a wreck, or even worse, have that snag the helmet tether on the way by and violently yank on my neck...

And yes, this is from an instructor's veiwpoint. I don't worry about a 5oz camera flying around, but I do worry about a nice big metal bar with a blunt end anywhere near me in the event the student would run out of talent. Picture the forces and bar-end position in the event that the car slid sideways into the end of an Aarmco fence or into a corner-worker's blockhouse. I've seen cars get narrowed by a couple of feet that way, and I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable with that blunt end being violently relocated in my direction...

Just sayin'.

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
I haven't seen a pic of it mounted in the car, but based solely on the view angle, it looks like the end of the "billy club" would protrude into the passenger side seat space. I would hate to get beaned or stabbed with that in the event of a wreck, or even worse, have that snag the helmet tether on the way by and violently yank on my neck...

And yes, this is from an instructor's veiwpoint. I don't worry about a 5oz camera flying around, but I do worry about a nice big metal bar with a blunt end anywhere near me in the event the student would run out of talent. Picture the forces and bar-end position in the event that the car slid sideways into the end of an Aarmco fence or into a corner-worker's blockhouse. I've seen cars get narrowed by a couple of feet that way, and I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable with that blunt end being violently relocated in my direction...

Just sayin'.
I hear ya. The bar really only goes a few inches past the edge if the seat to which it is mounted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
If you have a harness bar or cage use the GoPro roll bar mount or a suction cup. Not sure about this one... If you got into a crash and this thing swung around it could smack you in the face, but on the other hand that would be a sweet vid!

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
I rigged up a similar mount using 1" pvc pipe with rubber endcaps. Drilled 2 holes for each headrest post and used U-bolts to secure it. Then you can use a handlebar or cage mount for the gopro. I get very little vibration and it is quite secure once you tighten down the u-bolts.
And it's light plastic, much less dangerous than a metal blunt object IMO, plus it only cost about $12 to make.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
I rigged up a similar mount using 1" pvc pipe with rubber endcaps. Drilled 2 holes for each headrest post and used U-bolts to secure it. Then you can use a handlebar or cage mount for the gopro. I get very little vibration and it is quite secure once you tighten down the u-bolts.
And it's light plastic, much less dangerous than a metal blunt object IMO, plus it only cost about $12 to make.

made my own version too, $8 in alum tubing from tractor supply (enough to make two mounts). used my gopro bike handlebar mount - details

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Why not just mount to your helmet?

picture.php

Norm

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score

i made one with PVC pipe too.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back