Upgrading from 6 pt bar to 8.50 cage

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Thats why I still rock the 5 point with the removable door bar. Gets me by the street nights and T&T. Full cage is scary on the street.

I thought you had a 10 pt already? I've gotten some shit in the past from the track here about not having a certified chassis, so I'm going to get one, then next I'll work on my license since they gave me shit about that too. I had a full cage in my 91' Fox back in the day and drove it on the street a lot. There's thick padding all around where you can come into contact with it, I don't really see how that's much different than if you smacked into the A pillar or something in the event of a crash. I know this is a sensitive topic for some, so I don't want to get too much into it, but it's not like I'm installing a funny car cage or anything, it's just a 10 pt with bars that are not much closer to you than the OEM body already is, and again it's all covered with thick padding. Also, IMO it's more scary running all out at the track with insufficient safety gear i.e. 10 pt cage.

Last edited:

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Wacking your head on the side bar would be unpleasant.

I was thinking the same thing. I guess some good padding would help with that.

Or maybe just wear my helmet with a HANS device and a full suit. I'm sure no one would notice...

As it is I have removable swing out door bars. Once I put them in I just leave them in. It's easy to get in and out. The seats are what is a PITA .

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Or maybe just wear my helmet with a HANS device and a full suit. I'm sure no one would notice...

As it is I have removable swing out door bars. Once I put them in I just leave them in. It's easy to get in and out. The seats are what is a PITA .

I leave my side bar off, LOL, my old ass isn't as agile as it once was!

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I keep the passenger side out so my wife and kids can get in and out really easy. There are times when I get requested to pick up the girls up from school and I take the car there. They have to crawl in side ways to the back seat. All the kids think it's so cool and the boys are all yelling to peel out.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I keep the passenger side out so my wife and kids can get in and out really easy. There are times when I get requested to pick up the girls up from school and I take the car there. They have to crawl in side ways to the back seat. All the kids think it's so cool and the boys are all yelling to peel out.

That's funny, I've never picked my son up from school in my car out of fear what the teachers might think and say.

travelers

Reaction score
That's funny, I've never picked my son up from school in my car out of fear what the teachers might think and say.

You got to do that. It's not what the teachers will say, it's the kids will say about his dads car. I picked up my daughter from high school in my '30 model A street rod and she had more questions from her friends and guys that saw me pick her up then you can imagine.

Go for it, you don't need a car seat do you?

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score

Thats funny, my kid is a senior in high school and has a teacher with a Z06 and they always talk shit to each other about who would beat who at the drag strip and road course. The teacher says his car is fast, kid says lets take them to the drag strip, teacher says lets go to the road course, its been this way for two years. Lol

travelers

Reaction score
Thats funny, my kid is a senior in high school and has a teacher with a Z06 and they always talk shit to each other about who would beat who at the drag strip and road course. The teacher says his car is fast, kid says lets take them to the drag strip, teacher says lets go to the road course, its been this way for two years. Lol

The next time you have the car running in great shape you should do it, that will put a smile on your kids face.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The next time you have the car running in great shape you should do it, that will put a smile on your kids face.

Teacher said he wont go to the drag strip, something about his car ran 9.xx at the track and the guy who built it said he could only do it one time or he would need to rebuild it or something like that! Lol

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
You got to do that. It's not what the teachers will say, it's the kids will say about his dads car. I picked up my daughter from high school in my '30 model A street rod and she had more questions from her friends and guys that saw me pick her up then you can imagine.

Go for it, you don't need a car seat do you?

No car seat needed lol! My son is 10 and in the 5th grade, I could only imagine the teachers seeing my car in the parent pick up line lol. On the other hand one of my step daughters is turning 16 and has her first boyfriend, yikes! But he drives a 2001 Roush so he's okay in my book! (yes he is 16 also..) The funny thing is the BF's father is supposedly into mustangs and the street race scene back in the day so the kid asked dad if he knows me and dad said yes! Said he raced me 3 times and I kicked his ass all three times lol! Small world..

Last edited:

Marble

forum member
Reaction score

I specifically go there so all the parents and teachers do see. I want them to notice. Not for the attention, but it's a good indicator on how they feel about a lot of things. If someone is disgusted and act like an idiot than I know who I'm dealing with in the future.

It's kind of like my appearance. All my life I've been a blonde hair blue eyed all American boy whom everyone loves. But now with a shaved head and super long gothee looking odd beard thing going on, some of the parents exude me until they meet my wife or learn what I do and who I am.

What were we talking about again??Lol

I've got a family friend who owns a shop that works on race cars, mostly European types. He takes groups of kids from the local school (high school and college) and assigns them a project car. Wonder if mine could become one for cage fabrication....

travelers

Reaction score
No car seat needed lol! My son is 10 and in the 5th grade, I could only imagine the teachers seeing my car in the parent pick up line lol. On the other hand one of my step daughters is turning 16 and has her first boyfriend, yikes! But he drives a 2001 Roush so he's okay in my book! (yes he is 16 also..) The funny thing is the BF's father is supposedly into mustangs and the street race scene back in the day so the kid asked dad if he knows me and dad said yes! Said he raced me 3 times and I kicked his ass all three times lol! Small world..

Now that is a small world. Now back to the roll bar, have you started the new install yet??? We do need some pics.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Now that is a small world. Now back to the roll bar, have you started the new install yet??? We do need some pics.

Yes back to the original topic for sure! No I have not started the install yet, I'm going to wait until after the NMRA race in Bradenton next month to begin since I don't want to rush the job and eff something up. I'll post lots of pics though once I get started.

07 Boss

Reaction score

Haha. The other day a kid pulled alongside of me at the light. He gave me a couple of revs. Without looking over I reached onto the passenger seat and put my helmet on. Then I pulled both shoulder straps from my harness on and locked them in. I think I scared him because he babied it off the line at the green and I just went my merry way.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back