A different twist on the shifter debate.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new shifter for my 07 GT, I'm a bit tired of my Hurst, and my lack of confidence in the 2-3 shift at high rpms. From what I have seen on this forum and others The best shifters for the S197, is either the Barton, or the MGW offerings. In popularity, the MGW seems to edge out the Barton. So pretty sure one of these shifters will do the trick for me.

For appearance sake, I like the retro look, the Hurst looks great, and I really like the looks of the Barton, The MGW flat stick looks ok, but possibly on the short side.

So, after a couple days of pondering which one to get I just went ahead and bought both. I won't install either one, because I'm confident either one will work flawlessly, I just want to have a look at the Barton and The MGW side by side to see which one I like the look of better.

Any thoughts?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Any thoughts?

I think that your a little on the nutty side, but that's OK. Just seems like quite an effort in choosing a shifter if your gonna base it on cosmetics. But what do I know, I have a TCI shifter with a B&M handle.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I have experience with Barton and the MGW gen II. The MGW is by far a better made/designed unit. That said, I believe Barton came out with an updated shifter, but I just can't see it edging out the MGW. as Skwerl says, just get it in your hands, you will see.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
Haha, "a little on the nutty side". There's that :) and I want a good look at the components and the build quality. I hate buyers remorse.....

Thanks for the replies. This site is excellent for support.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Two great choices and interested to see your comparison/feedback...

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I think the MGW will blow you away with the quality and workmanship. You'll see.

I know the MGW will blow you away. I loved the look of hte Hurst in mt 2005. But I did not run it at the track with that shifter in it. Very notchy. Being a lover of Hurst products (and Linda Vaughn even at her current age), it was hard for me to try something else. But when I put the MGW in my 13...well let me tell you, I was wishing I had done it in my 2005. With the trim collar and white ball knob it looked great in the car as well.

CHHRGih.jpg

07 Boss

Reaction score
Haha, "a little on the nutty side". There's that :) and I want a good look at the components and the build quality. I hate buyers remorse.....

Thanks for the replies. This site is excellent for support.

I'm glad you didn't take me the wrong way. We're all a little nutty when it comes to cars.

Here's my pieced together behemoth even though she has no relativity to this conversation.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
I absolutely LOVE my MGW, and cosmetics didn't bother me since I went with th OEM bullitt handle threaded into the MGW so it looks factory. Having driven all the pony cars and tried both shifters, this is my personal opinion, MGW straight owns the 3650 and MT82 markets. If you have either of those trannies, MGW is bitching. If you have a camaro or challenger with the 6060, or GT500, I do believe the Barton is a hair better for the 6060. Just my option.

ExSRT8Guy

Been There, Done That
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the Barton, but I do know the Hurst - it was in the car when I bought it - and the MGW Gen III, which is currently installed. There is absolutely no comparison between the two in either construction or use; the MGW is a work-of-art that shifts effortlessly and flawlessly. The Hurst was noisy and notchy... a big disappointment, since I come from the Competition Plus / Muncie era. I'm running the stock knob, so it looks like factory. Bonus - sold the Hurst on eBay for $185!

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
I'm glad you didn't take me the wrong way. We're all a little nutty when it comes to cars.

Here's my pieced together behemoth even though she has no relativity to this conversation.

Of course not, we're all a little on the nutty sid, over our mustangs.

nice setup btw.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm really excited to compare the two.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I really liked the chrome stick on my Hurst (I put a longer stick on it too, I didn't like the super short original stick), but it got really sloppy after 3 years or so. I found someone selling a used Steeda Tri-Ax and a big selling point on it for me is that it uses a bolt on stick like the Hurst. So, I was able to keep the chrome handle on a much better quality shifter base.

Only thing I don't like about it is that the centering spring is so stiff, you have to put some effort into it to get it into fifth gear. Other than that it's great.

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, I really liked the chrome stick on my Hurst (I put a longer stick on it too, I didn't like the super short original stick), but it got really sloppy after 3 years or so. I found someone selling a used Steeda Tri-Ax and a big selling point on it for me is that it uses a bolt on stick like the Hurst. So, I was able to keep the chrome handle on a much better quality shifter base.

Only thing I don't like about it is that the centering spring is so stiff, you have to put some effort into it to get it into fifth gear. Other than that it's great.

MGW had a flat stick version

travelers

Reaction score

I can throw an additional twist to your answer, as I have a Steeda shifter in mine with a Tremec knob.

Oh, wait, that is on a Tremec XL Magnum trans.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
no shifter for the S197 TR3650 addresses the major design flaw with the system, so I am making my own. No further details will be provided!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back