A different twist on the shifter debate.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
You will love it

Meant to say has not had

8417e5a0c6c7f4ef0b9791a191726d47.jpg
Looks damn nice!

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wait, does the MGW "flat stick" one use a bolt on stick similar to what the Hurst uses? If not, that's not the same as what I'm talking about.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
Here's a pic from the mgw site,

Attachments

• IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 18

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
New K member going in with new poly motor mounts, that should alleviate some twisting.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
I just received both today. I like the look of the barton, however I'm pretty sure I'm going with the MGW.
MGW is 400grams heavier...
I think the weight difference gives the shifter all kinds of density and not be prone to vibrations.
Both look incredible, just my opinion, one might say to go with the lighter shifter for weight savings... :) no disrespect to Barton at all. Just my 2cents

Btw, I ordered both shifters to have the white shifter ball, and Barton sent black. No biggie just why two different colors

Not sure why these pics loaded upside down, they don'tlook like this on my iPad

Attachments

• IMG_0994.jpg
    IMG_0994.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    509.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Hoonigan

Reaction score
For your concerns with twisting and missed shifts, give the Blowfish bracket a try. That thing paired with the MGW Flat Stick was $650 well spent for me. The whole point of having a mustang is to be able to have fun and take out everyone at your local Cars n' Coffee.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
For your concerns with twisting and missed shifts, give the Blowfish bracket a try. That thing paired with the MGW Flat Stick was $650 well spent for me. The whole point of having a mustang is to be able to have fun and take out everyone at your local Cars n' Coffee.

I have new poly mounts, and K member brace, I'm going to try this first to see how it works first.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I had the blowfish bracket and got rid of it. I thought it worked better without, certainly less vibration.

Hoonigan

Reaction score
I wonder how many other people had bad experiences with the Blowfish bracket. There definitely are more vibrations as that is part of the design, it is intended to give more vibrations. The increase in vibrations was a very good trade for having confidence in shifting without being locked out of a gear.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Before the blowfish bracket came out I grenaded my clutch and fried my sychros on a really hard 2nd to 3rd upshift at 6500rpm at WOT but letting off when shifting. Couldn't get it into 3rd and tried really hard to force it, then everything came apart. Then a few months later the blowfish bracket came out.

I've had the blowfish bracket on for about a 1 1/2 years. Haven't missed a shift yet. I also have the UPR billet shifter and it rattles really bad coming from the ball/socket area of the shifter. I don't care cuz I never miss a shift. My car now has 198k miles and I still have the original motor mounts that I know are pretty bad and I still haven't missed a shift. I imagine when I get around to replacing the motor mounts the rattles will get louder but oh well.

Eventually going to replace the UPR with an MGW and hopefully quiet things up a bit. Bottom line is the blowfish bracket works for me.

Last edited:

Hoonigan

Reaction score
Glad to hear your success, the guys at Blowfish did a great job on this one. I was in the market for a T56 until I found this. Don't get me wrong, I would still love to have one. But, it's money that could go elsewhere until I break my 3650.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
Pulled out the hurst yesterday, the shifter bushing was broken off on one side ( the upshift side) and the boot above it is all cracked. The bottom screw in the handle had backed itself almost all the way out.

Glad I changed the hurst out, I definitely didn't expect this.... only about 10k on the shifter according to the guy I bought the car from.

Attachments

• IMG_1001.jpg
    IMG_1001.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 5

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Pulled out the hurst yesterday, the shifter bushing was broken off on one side ( the upshift side) and the boot above it is all cracked. The bottom screw in the handle had backed itself almost all the way out.

Glad I changed the hurst out, I definitely didn't expect this.... only about 10k on the shifter according to the guy I bought the car from.

Which did you go with MGW or Barton ?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back