Pipes

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
Hello, i just place an order for FR 500S axle back exhaust. Now i m wondering should i keep the stock h pipe or upgrade with a catted x pipe(bbk probably). It has to be catted here where i live.
I ve read reviews but never had a chance to here this combo. I m not lookin for more hp but just for the best sound.
If anybody has experience with it please share!!
Tkank you guys !!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Try searching here and Youtube. Hundreds of clips out there

Also please review the tech posting rules as this is not tech and has been moved to chat.

Last edited:

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
IMO...keep the H-pipe b/c X-pipe is raspier vs. deeper tone. There are tons of sound bytes on Youtube and AM has a few as well.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
I've had both X and H. O/R though. I preferred the X personally. I felt it's a more modern sound for a modern mustang. It's all about your personal preference in the end. My wife liked the H better. She thought it sounded more manly. It was a bit deeper but not a huge difference. By no means does the X sound like a v6.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
Also be aware that when watching YouTube videos for reference mufflers play a huge difference in sound. Try and look at similar muffler setups as yours.

07 Boss

Reaction score
aggressive and deep

Mid mount your mufflers and run a good length of pipe between your mufflers and tailpipe. This is pretty much the only way I think you will achieve the old school rumble which I think you are after. Our rear mounted muffler and short tailpipe really inhibits the ability to achieve that sound.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had an X pipe for a couple of years, never really cared for the sound. H pipe all the way for that classic mustang sound.

dark steed

Resident noob
Reaction score
I picked up some Kooks LT's with the catted X, still haven't installed them. That's the only worry I have is if I will like the X sound. I have GTA's out back. Still have HotRods to install too. I need a vacation...

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Hello, i just place an order for FR 500S axle back exhaust. Now i m wondering should i keep the stock h pipe or upgrade with a catted x pipe(bbk probably). It has to be catted here where i live.
I ve read reviews but never had a chance to here this combo. I m not lookin for more hp but just for the best sound.
If anybody has experience with it please share!!
Tkank you guys !!

I'll provide you with the same response that was submitted on the same thread you started up on another site..

There's very little to be gained by upgrading to an aftermarket catted mid-pipe over the factory catted H you currently have.. The "OEM" cats are far less restrictive and very efficient when compared to Ford's factory exhaust systems prior to the beginning of the 2005 4.6L 3 valve models.. Unless you also intend on upgrading to long tube headers, there's no real benefit in adding an aftermarket catted X-pipe over the factory cats at all.. Also, if your looking for that deep/throaty muscle car sound, you don't want to switch over from an H-pipe to an X anyhow, as an X-pipe provides more of a raspy/higher pitched tinny sound over a traditional H-pipe..
On the other hand however, an X-pipe is somewhat a bit more efficient flowing over an H-pipe, but not to the extent where it's really noticeable.. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference and what your looking for that matters most..

For future reference: This is not The Mustang Source.. The rules are quite different on this forum which also require doing a thread search before submitting a new thread !

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
aggressive and deep
I'm afraid that the word 'aggressive' is so over-used these days that it doesn't mean anything. I just hope you don't mean 'obnoxious', else just get a pair of Flowmasters and be done with it.

Deep is something that you can probably only go so far with when all you've got to work with is 4.6L / 281 CID. It'll never sound like a built-up 429 or 460.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Also, if your looking for that deep/throaty muscle car sound, you don't want to switch over from an H-pipe to an X anyhow, as an X-pipe provides more of a raspy/higher pitched tinny sound over a traditional H-pipe.
'Raspy' and 'tinny' are undeservedly negative descriptions. Yes, the sound of an 'X' has a much different character, not the same booming presence of a straight duals/no crossover system at all (which might be an even better option for OP).

I've been through this matter so many times over the years - for myself even before joining any forum - that I put together a comparative plot of an 'X' vs 'H' or straight duals. Might as well post it again. The peaky unevenness of the blue and black traces shows the low frequency rumble, the smoother ripple of the red trace is the X. Bottom axis is degrees of crankshaft rotation (it's a 20+ year old plot that I never put the finishing touches on)

picture.php

Norm

Last edited:

forum member
Reaction score
Deep is something that you can probably only go so far with when all you've got to work with is 4.6L / 281 CID. It'll never sound like a built-up 429 or 460.

Norm

My O/R x-pipe set up with Magnaflow Competition (Magnapack) axlebacks and longtube headers is getting there. Having FRPP hot rod cams helps too. It's deep enough to boom/echo inside parking garages. When it's idling in the garage I can feel vibrations through the floor, etc. WOT brings out the NASCAR sound.

To answer the original question, there are a lot of different combinations available. In general, a Prochamber midpipe and dumped mufflers will deepen the tone. My old 2v had a deep sound with the stock h-pipe and Magnapacks dumped before the axle. Running "dumps" is no longer an option though unless you switch to a mid-muffler set up.

Longtube headers will also change the tone. In my experience, I noticed a deeper tone at idle and more volume through the RPM range under heavy acceleration. The "rasp" I had with the x-pipe was amplified after the longtubes went on. But to some this is a good thing.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Also be aware that when watching YouTube videos for reference mufflers play a huge difference in sound. Try and look at similar muffler setups as yours.

keep in mind too that the quality of your computer speakers as well as the quality of the microphone on the recording device will greatly effect the sound as well.

The thousands of videos of people free revving their exhaust combo is laughable as well, and I quickly got tired of listening to them. The best way is to find other cars with different exhausts on them to see how they sound in the real world. I know that's not possible all the time, but it's better than guessing based on some guy's youtube video.

Rapture

forum member
Reaction score
'Raspy' and 'tinny' are undeservedly negative descriptions. Yes, the sound of an 'X' has a much different character, not the same booming presence of a straight duals/no crossover system at all (which might be an even better option for OP).

I've been through this matter so many times over the years - for myself even before joining any forum - that I put together a comparative plot of an 'X' vs 'H' or straight duals. Might as well post it again. The peaky unevenness of the blue and black traces shows the low frequency rumble, the smoother ripple of the red trace is the X. Bottom axis is degrees of crankshaft rotation (it's a 20+ year old plot that I never put the finishing touches on)

picture.php

Norm

Nice

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
I'm afraid that the word 'aggressive' is so over-used these days that it doesn't mean anything. I just hope you don't mean 'obnoxious', else just get a pair of Flowmasters and be done with it.

Norm
when i say aggressive its like more rumble !! more muscle car sound! OLD SCHOOL!! That doesnt mean loud! You see, i live in Romania, Europe and unfortunatelly i dont have anythink to compare with !! Youtube is good but to make a choice based on youtube its risky. I prefer opinions of people who already did that or have some experience behind.
I did some upgrades on my car just after your opinions and i NEVER had a problem. Actually i m very happy with it!
THANK YOU MUCH !
Good people and some great advices !!

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
keep in mind too that the quality of your computer speakers as well as the quality of the microphone on the recording device will greatly effect the sound as well.

The thousands of videos of people free revving their exhaust combo is laughable as well, and I quickly got tired of listening to them. The best way is to find other cars with different exhausts on them to see how they sound in the real world. I know that's not possible all the time, but it's better than guessing based on some guy's youtube video.

Youtube is good but to make a choice based on youtube its risky. I prefer opinions of people who already did that or have some experience behind.
I did some upgrades on my car just after your opinions and i NEVER had a problem. Actually i m very happy with it!
THANK YOU MUCH !
Good people and some great advices !!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back