Muffler help

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I know I'm a little late, but figured I could give you my .02 cents. I've had my FR500S axlebacks since the car was stock. I've always loved the sound they produce over any other as far as just an axleback is concerned. When I went to an O/R X pipe, it was still great and never had any drone, it was just too loud when I had my son in the car. He was 2 or 3 at the time and liked to ride with me a lot. So I welded in some Pypes M80 resonators and that took the volume down a hair, but it still had the same amazing sound. Fast forward a bit and now I'm running Kooks LTs with O/R X pipe and honestly, it's a little quieter than I would like it. Start up is great, and at WOT it's awesome, but just cruising, it almost makes me want to either take the resonators out or get rid of the mufflers and just do a muffler delete. Not sure why it's quieter because I was anticipating the complete opposite, but that's what happened. Anyways, let me know if you'd like a video and I can try to help you out. Good luck!

We should swap OTA's, mines still pretty damn loud. Lol

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Sounds good Brandon08GT. I just pulled the trigger on the MBRP stainless axleback today. So we will see and I'll post up a video when installed. I'm excited for it. If still a bit too much I'll weld in some pypes M80 resonators also. Still looking for a local set of GTB's to snag for dirt cheap to just try out for video purpose for others.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
And can anyone explain exactly what a resonator is and does? Trying to find cutaways of them. I'm a visual learner but explanations I'm good with as well. From what I've seen the resonators I've seen including the pypes look just like the borla stingers, a straight through design with the tubing having many little holes and packed with a material. Is this correct and if so its basically an extra muffler thats straight through in the piping but to absorb some sound?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pyp...biw=1680&bih=944&dpr=1#q=pypes+m80+resonators

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
And can anyone explain exactly what a resonator is and does? Trying to find cutaways of them. I'm a visual learner but explanations I'm good with as well. From what I've seen the resonators I've seen including the pypes look just like the borla stingers, a straight through design with the tubing having many little holes and packed with a material. Is this correct and if so its basically an extra muffler thats straight through in the piping but to absorb some sound?

https://www.google.com/search?q=pyp...biw=1680&bih=944&dpr=1#q=pypes+m80+resonators

You're on the right track. Basically they are about 15 inch long, wider diameter tubes that weld into the stock pipes and absorb sound for the most part. They are similar to a straight through design muffler, except they are a bit longer. If I get under my car this weekend, I will take a picture for you. I can take a picture of the resonators, and then a picture of the FR500S mufflers and you will notice the difference.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
You're on the right track. Basically they are about 15 inch long, wider diameter tubes that weld into the stock pipes and absorb sound for the most part. They are similar to a straight through design muffler, except they are a bit longer. If I get under my car this weekend, I will take a picture for you. I can take a picture of the resonators, and then a picture of the FR500S mufflers and you will notice the difference.

Okay thank you. The stingers were short. I'm probably best off ordering them off of autoanything I guess. Don't see them at American muscle. Now they are just the pypes m80's though correct? I think I've seen them for just $47 or so. Those what you recommend for a resonator? Those are all I hear about is the pypes.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Okay thank you. The stingers were short. I'm probably best off ordering them off of autoanything I guess. Don't see them at American muscle. Now they are just the pypes m80's though correct? I think I've seen them for just $47 or so. Those what you recommend for a resonator? Those are all I hear about is the pypes.

That's correct. The Pypes M80s are the resonators. If you look at the Pypes super beast (I think it's called) exhaust, it's just an O/R X pipe, the M80s and the muffler deletes. I'm actually headed back home to Jacksonville in a month, not sure if you feel like waiting but we could meet up and you can see/hear everything in person.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
That's correct. The Pypes M80s are the resonators. If you look at the Pypes super beast (I think it's called) exhaust, it's just an O/R X pipe, the M80s and the muffler deletes. I'm actually headed back home to Jacksonville in a month, not sure if you feel like waiting but we could meet up and you can see/hear everything in person.

Okay, I'm actually going to be up there for my military training from April 28th to May 13th and I'm up there every month for weekend training anyways. I'm normally at Cecil Field off 103rd and sometimes at Camp Blanding, we'll have to meet up sometime while I'm up there. I've already got the MBRP on the way, will be here Tuesday. I just feel like I'll be needing to install the resonators still lol. If so I'm just going to clamp straight to the H pipe and then cut the area off that needs cut and clamp there as well. Really stoked to see how the MBRP's turn out.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm actually going to be up there for my military training from April 28th to May 13th and I'm up there every month for weekend training anyways. I'm normally at Cecil Field off 103rd and sometimes at Camp Blanding, we'll have to meet up sometime while I'm up there. I've already got the MBRP on the way, will be here Tuesday. I just feel like I'll be needing to install the resonators still lol. If so I'm just going to clamp straight to the H pipe and then cut the area off that needs cut and clamp there as well. Really stoked to see how the MBRP's turn out.

Right on. I'm actually getting out of the Navy next week and that's why I'm headed back home haha. I literally live like one minute off 103rd down Shindler. We will definitely have to meet up.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Right on. I'm actually getting out of the Navy next week and that's why I'm headed back home haha. I literally live like one minute off 103rd down Shindler. We will definitely have to meet up.

Hahaha holy crap. Small world. Well when I'm up there I'll PM you and we can grab a few beers.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
No need for new axlebacks, just add resonators.

Cams, LTs, offroad H, borla s types and MBRP resonators midmounted. Sound is amazing. No trumpeting and deep deep throaty tones. This clip is with m80s not the MBRPs....the m80s started rattling so I cut those bastards out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeJgx5qedLY

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
No need for new axlebacks, just add resonators.

Cams, LTs, offroad H, borla s types and MBRP resonators midmounted. Sound is amazing. No trumpeting and deep deep throaty tones. This clip is with m80s not the MBRPs....the m80s started rattling so I cut those bastards out

I've been having a rattling from my exhaust and have not at all been able to figure it out. What did yours sound like? I didn't consider the M80s to be the problem.

46addict

Reaction score

Any of you on the 904 car meets page? Seems to be a meet going on at least twice during the week and there is a Saturday meet. I'm not near Jacksonville anymore but I do visit the area now and then. Would be cool to get a Mustang group together.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back