Muffler help

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Any of you on the 904 car meets page? Seems to be a meet going on at least twice during the week and there is a Saturday meet. I'm not near Jacksonville anymore but I do visit the area now and then. Would be cool to get a Mustang group together.

No, I live down in brevard county. I'm literally 30 mins away from NASA. I'm just up there every month for the army.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I loved how my car sounded with the off road H but damn, the stench at red lights...I had to swap it back out for my catted H pipe again :(

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
^are you sure you didn't have an exhaust leak somewhere? I have an offroad-h on my 12 gt and it's hardly noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Those running MBRP axleback I have a question about bolting to the over axle pipe.

Now I assume you all have that little weld spot for alignment. My stock and Borlas both had a large enough cut out for that to slip in between the axleback flange/clamp. The MBRP does not and cannot set up as far as them but its maybe a 1/4" to 3/8" difference on how far it goes up but no big deal. Now by had I cannot seem to tighten it enough to make a complete seal all the way around, so I get a little bit of exhaust coming out from the clamp area. I'm assuming I cant get it to get the good seal because its brand new and the T409 stainless steel along with the over axle being old and abused by many axlebacks going on it. Now what I'm going to do is take a good impact gun at a buddies and loosen the nut then drive the crap out of it on there to really squeeze that clamped area and hopefully seal it. Think thats all I have to do? I haven't had a brand new set put on before, just done used ones. After 50 miles I went under and was able to get a little more on it so I'm assuming with the heat its helping it form and settle in.

Normally with the used sets I've put on its kinda a b***h to slip the axleback onto the over axle but this literally slid on like nothing, stupid easy. So I'm hoping just some impact gun ramming and miles it will settle in and form and seal it up.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Any of you on the 904 car meets page? Seems to be a meet going on at least twice during the week and there is a Saturday meet. I'm not near Jacksonville anymore but I do visit the area now and then. Would be cool to get a Mustang group together.

I was very active with the local meets back when I was in high school and a little after. I used to have a slammed S10. I move to New Jersey and lost a lot of contacts. I was stationed in Jax a couple years ago and started to get involved again, but of course, I had to leave again. I'll probably get back to it when I get back in a month. Give me a shout if you're in the area and we will meet up. I go up to GA a good amount for my uncles dirt track races.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Those running MBRP axleback I have a question about bolting to the over axle pipe.

Now I assume you all have that little weld spot for alignment. My stock and Borlas both had a large enough cut out for that to slip in between the axleback flange/clamp. The MBRP does not and cannot set up as far as them but its maybe a 1/4" to 3/8" difference on how far it goes up but no big deal. Now by had I cannot seem to tighten it enough to make a complete seal all the way around, so I get a little bit of exhaust coming out from the clamp area. I'm assuming I cant get it to get the good seal because its brand new and the T409 stainless steel along with the over axle being old and abused by many axlebacks going on it. Now what I'm going to do is take a good impact gun at a buddies and loosen the nut then drive the crap out of it on there to really squeeze that clamped area and hopefully seal it. Think thats all I have to do? I haven't had a brand new set put on before, just done used ones. After 50 miles I went under and was able to get a little more on it so I'm assuming with the heat its helping it form and settle in.

Normally with the used sets I've put on its kinda a b***h to slip the axleback onto the over axle but this literally slid on like nothing, stupid easy. So I'm hoping just some impact gun ramming and miles it will settle in and form and seal it up.

I've never had that issue and have had two sets of new axlebacks. Where exactly are you talking about? Does this have to do with the flat spot in the OTA pipes?

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I used a grinder to get rid of those alignment spots on the OTA so I was able to slide them up further. Be careful goin to town on those clamps. I sheared off the bolt on one of mine.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I've never had that issue and have had two sets of new axlebacks. Where exactly are you talking about? Does this have to do with the flat spot in the OTA pipes?

No, it would be between that and where you clamp the muffler. I may just get under there and grind it down then. It does feel wobbly on the OTA pipe. Probably hit it by hand quickly. Brandon08GT, if you get under there look on one of the sides of the OTA around the clamp where your cuts are in the axleback and you'll see it. very small. I was going to just bend the inlet on the muffler a hair to allow the clearance. I'll try the grinding first.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can take a video of what I'm talking about tomorrow morning and post it. I do think if I can get it further up where the little alignment welded nub is I'll be okay. The OTA pipe should then be seated fully into the axle back vs being a 1/4"-1/2" from being all the way on.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
No, it would be between that and where you clamp the muffler. I may just get under there and grind it down then. It does feel wobbly on the OTA pipe. Probably hit it by hand quickly. Brandon08GT, if you get under there look on one of the sides of the OTA around the clamp where your cuts are in the axleback and you'll see it. very small. I was going to just bend the inlet on the muffler a hair to allow the clearance. I'll try the grinding first.

Oh the little nub. Now I think I know what you're talking about. I don't see why you would have a problem though. If you have a small torch, can you heat up the metal to slide close, then clamp it down? Just spitballing ideas. I got out of the Navy yesterday and I've kind of been celebrating.

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Oh the little nub. Now I think I know what you're talking about. I don't see why you would have a problem though. If you have a small torch, can you heat up the metal to slide close, then clamp it down? Just spitballing ideas. I got out of the Navy yesterday and I've kind of been celebrating.

Hahaha, I hear ya. If I went to slip it over then there would be a small bulge and the clamp would have to bend the flange around that piece. I'll see what I can do and get a video.

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
That's really weird. Why wouldn't mbrp have the little slits other manufactures have? Is the extra two inches of metal that big of a deal?

CammedS197

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly seems like it's say it's at most like 3/4 of an inch so not too far off.. But I do know the OTA pipe isn't fully seated till it stops in the muffler. The passenger side almost has no movement but the driver as you could see has a good amount. The passenger side doesn't have too much exhaust leaking out, just a hair on top and the driver side has it on 3 areas at the clamp and much more exhaust leaking. By the way it moves it is really only making contact in two areas on the OTA pipe. I called MBRP and I always get some lady who has no idea about these or the cars. Now when I want tech I want someone who would go oh yeah I know what you're talking about when I say the axleback for the 2006 mustang GT or 3 valve mustang. I mean I had to look up the mufflers and give her the part number so she could find it and see . Now she was clueless not to be mean or anything. But she had no idea what I was talking about. I said I guess I'll just see what the impact gun will do. She replies, yeah just slip it up over that thing you're talking about and tighten down. One, can't slip it over and two that's like sealing up a valve cover and sticking a popsickle stick between the mating surface and torquing down. Will create a big leak due to the gap the popsickle stick is leaving.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^are you sure you didn't have an exhaust leak somewhere? I have an offroad-h on my 12 gt and it's hardly noticeable.

I'm pretty sure I do, because I can hear one, but I can't find the damn thing for the life of me (I think it's just leaking around the clamps where the over axle pipes attach to the midpipe).

But, it's a small leak so I don't think that would have that much to do with it. I'm sure the cams make it worse than it would normally be and I didn't have the off road H on the car until after the cams were in it. It just seemed like every time I stopped at a light with the windows open the exhaust would come right into the car.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I do, because I can hear one, but I can't find the damn thing for the life of me (I think it's just leaking around the clamps where the over axle pipes attach to the midpipe).

But, it's a small leak so I don't think that would have that much to do with it. I'm sure the cams make it worse than it would normally be and I didn't have the off road H on the car until after the cams were in it. It just seemed like every time I stopped at a light with the windows open the exhaust would come right into the car.
I strongly suggest looking at the connection from your header to your cat delete pipe. I can almost guarantee you have a leak there. Do you hear a whistling of some sort when decelerating in gear around 4k rpm?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I strongly suggest looking at the connection from your header to your cat delete pipe. I can almost guarantee you have a leak there. Do you hear a whistling of some sort when decelerating in gear around 4k rpm?

Cat delete pipe? I have a shorty H pipe, currently catted.

Honestly I know I have small leaks at several of the clamps because I can see the carbon on the pipes. Generally it's along the part where the bolts are on the band clamps because you can't get a 100% perfect seal there, I don't think there's much you can do about that unfortunately. For the most part they all have pretty good seals.

I don't hear any whistling sounds but when I'm driving alongside a curb or guardrail I can hear a puttering sound during during deceleration which I know is the leaks.

Back