Thinking of piccking up an 05-10 gt, advice welcome

tw557

Reaction score
I have a 15 ecoboost premium. I have to say I like it much more then I thought. I would certainly like the GT better but options for options I am looking at about 10000 more for the coyote. And honestly for everyday driving the Ecoboost really works well. I do miss my days of growing up with a 82 gt with converting everything from a crashed 88 over into it. The thing that crossed my mind is I can pick up a whole another car for the 10000 it will cost for that coyote in a newer GT. So I'm thinking of making a bit of a play car and having my son help me hopefully at times.
So I'm wonder what issues and advice you guys might offer. I would much prefer a manual since I haven't had one for quite some time now but not completely counting out the auto. I don't mind working on just about any issue if I don't need a lot of physical help or it cost a ton of money. I'm also not opposed to a salvage title without major work and then could maybe put on better body parts such a better front bumper which I think is pretty plain in the early years.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There were revisions in 07 and again in 08. So I would look for something in that range 07-09. 08 being the revised head design to a side gap plug. 10 if you like the body style but at that point get an 11. Bolt-ons and a tune and you can have a fun 300-350rwhp stick car GT on the 3v 07-09 platform (still one of fav body style). If you can swing a deal on a 2011 coyote may be a better platform to play with for the extra cost up front. Look at the price of all those mods on the 3v to make that power vice a tune only to make 360rwhp or so on a 11-12 coyote.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was going to say skip the auto but you said you wanted a stick anyway. MGW shifter is almost a requirement. I had an '05 with factory 3.55 gears. Needed more gear. If Ihad another 4.6 3V car it would get 4.10's.

There are a couple ways to address the throttle action. Look into those. The delay for the drive by wire sucks.

My only complaints on the car I had where what i spoke of above. Gears, shifter, throttle delay.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
moved, not a tech topic on this board

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
05-09 cars can be had for a cheap price. Bolts ons will get you in the 300+ range. Add a blower and your 450-500+ and having fun. The roush front bumper kit totally changes the front end. For looks thats my favorite mod on my 06GT. My car had well past 500 passes at the track before the auto trans started messing up. Besides that and the rear end clutches my car has been amazing...no issues at all. Car is run very hard and now has 600 passes running low 12s bracket racing.

I also have a 16GT. No way im giving up my 06!!!

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
An 05/06 is a great car too aside from the dumb plug design. I like that they don't have the TPMS system and they do have a factory oil temp sensor.

I've done a lot of bolt ons (cams, intake, headers, pulleys) but still have 3.31 gears and I'm sure my car is slower than a car with 3.73 and a tune. Definitely do gears, I can't get mine in fast enough.

I would do 3.73, a DOB kit with a M112 on a stock motor, and a Lito tune. It will run great and won't cost that much money. I actually love the stock shifter, I think it does great and have never had any problems drag racing or road racing.

Last edited:

tw557

Reaction score
05-09 cars can be had for a cheap price. Bolts ons will get you in the 300+ range. Add a blower and your 450-500+ and having fun. The roush front bumper kit totally changes the front end. For looks thats my favorite mod on my 06GT. My car had well past 500 passes at the track before the auto trans started messing up. Besides that and the rear end clutches my car has been amazing...no issues at all. Car is run very hard and now has 600 passes running low 12s bracket racing.

I also have a 16GT. No way im giving up my 06!!!

Very interesting to here from you since you have a 16gt. Any particular aspect you really like to not even think of letting the 06 since you have the new GT? I think I would need to do a different front bumper like was mentioned here. It really does do wonders for the look. I like the look of the rear with the 10 better but I'm finding they are getting a bit higher in price then I can swing I think unless mileage is high. How high of mileage would scare you guys away if somewhat maintained. Also I found a few drivable but salvage title ones that seem to just need a fender, hood and front bumper in the 3500 range. Also just maybe I would plan for a set cams for some extra power and always loved the camed sound. Can they be installed with the motor in the car? I have always liked the AMR black wheels filling out the fenders on this model years. Thanks for all the ideas. I'll take my time a little and see for sure what direction grabs me.

46addict

Reaction score
I picked up my 2007 with 72k miles and the previous owner was a track junkie and he probably put more than 20 hours of road course time into the car. I supercharged it a few months after getting it and it's chugging along at 81k now. Car has given me zero problems. The issues I've had with the car are ones I created myself.

Before this car I had a 2008 GT/CS I bought new and it was totaled with 87k on it. Once again no issues aside from worn rear LCA bushings and ball joints which are normal wear items.

Then I've seen 2007-09 GT500s and GTs posted on the internet with 180k miles or more on them and they're still ticking. Point is they will last a lifetime if you do the maintenance.

And yes cams can be done with the motor installed. Cams, headers, and gears with a good tune will wake these cars up.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If the car has been maintained, 150,000 is no big deal. I purchased an 08 bullitt with 165,000 miles on it two years ago and the guy had every receipt on maintenance/repairs. I have beat the hell out of the car racing, fooling around, and daily driving. Now I am at 190,000 with no issues. The engine runs very strong, almost like it is just now getting broken in.

Rm

tw557

Reaction score
Good to hear that high mileage isn't a death sentence. Messing with european stuff with high mileage can be costly and difficult sometimes as I have found out. I was figuring that these might not be too bad to work on other then motor or trans swaps and stuff. Also, how are the brakes. Is the only reasonable option to get better pads.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The stock brakes are pretty decent, if not Brembos are an easy swap away.

Since you asked about them cams are a super easy swap on these engines. First time ever touching them I think I had mine done in under 4 hours. But, you really need to have long tube headers to get the full benefit.

I bought my car with 53K on it, now has 93K, only things I've actually had to replace maintenance-wise have been the ball joints, and I did the plugs at 80K.

Overall these cars are pretty wrench-friendly, I'd say the biggest issue on them usually is when the cowl drain gets clogged up with leaves and junk, water backs up and gets into the car and gets the smart junction box wet. When that happens it causes a whole range of issues.

Last edited:

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
I've had my 06GT for 9 years and 199k miles. Only problems I've had with the motor are leaking coolant crossover pipe that sits in the valley of the engine block. Just fixed it, took about 2 hours. Replaced alternator at 180k, plugs at 100k and getting ready to do it again along with COPS. Beyond that motor has given me "0" problems.

My biggest problem has been transmission related. Synchro's, clutches, throw out bearings. I've haven't broke anything or missed any shifts since putting blowfish shifter bracket on about 2 year ago. I learned how to rebuild my transmission by using this forum so now I have a spare on stand by. Really isn't that hard, just need some of the right tools. I've started replacing everything suspension related around 120k miles.

My only mods are brenspeed tune and JLT intake when I bought the car. Still runs the same! My biggest gripe is the damn fake leather door panels. I re-glue that shit every six months and I've tried everything. Might use my staple gun next time.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
When the top & bottom of the door panel insert starts coming off, the only fix I know is to remove it completely, scrape off the padding underneath and put new material on.

A common alternator upgrade on the 05-09 is the 3 phase 2010 alternator.

There is a thread here about what's involved in upgrading to 2015+ 4 piston calipers/pads/rotors, and the 2007-09 GT500 brake swap is another cheap option if you go with rebuilt calipers from Rockauto. For street driving, stock brakes with a pad upgrade will be just fine.

rocky61201

forum member
Reaction score
Also, some things I've learned along the way - unless you have a nice hydraulic shop press, removing/installing ball joints using your standard ball joint removal tool and some muscle is a risky proposition. Elongating the hole in the LCA can happen. #2 Moog front LCA's are now made in china. I don't think they are the same company they used to be 20 years ago. I now have GT500 LCA's w/ball joint installed.

Yea I tried that method and even used the nice most expensive $40 can of industrial 3M adhesive. Took everything apart, scraped old gunk off, then reinstalled using the original fake leather.

Next time I'll just drop the panels off at my local custom interior shop and get some nice real leather.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Get a 2008-2009 Bullitt...:D

Can you tell I'm bias. ;)

badassmustang08

Reaction score
I have an 08 gt 3 valve making 700 to the wheels. I love the style and beat up on 5.0.s

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back