Do yall think this is OK?

Phil

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Bama for life tunes deal and Im working thru a couple tuning issues but I came across a very good deal on a circle D convertor and had it installed, Bama says it safe to drive on the tune they sent to first deal with the other issues then they will deal with the adjustments for the convertor once we have the others worked out, could I be damaging the transmission by doing this? keep in mind Im not driving it hard during these times and wont untill im ready to datalog some WOT passes for them to deal with the convertor.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Sorry but I've never heard much good about Bama tunes. They seem incapable of resolving the most basic issues since they don't seem to have any real tune writers, just tune sellers.

IMO cut your losses and get a better tune. The money you 'saved' by buying a cheap tune is money wasted.

Phil

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry but I've never heard much good about Bama tunes. They seem incapable of resolving the most basic issues since they don't seem to have any real tune writers, just tune sellers.

IMO cut your losses and get a better tune. The money you 'saved' by buying a cheap tune is money wasted.
Truth be told that has been my thoughts, I figured I get away with it sinec Im doing very simple mods that proabbly thousands have done before. Thanks

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are several good remote tuners, Litto, VMP and many others. As stated, the Bama tunes are pretty much crap, even with mild options. I wouldn't trust them to tune a go cart, much less a Mustang

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
JDM Engineering does good tuning via email.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
ive had a bama tune for like 3 years now and never had any issues, but after reading all these threads about how bad they are, i'd be curious to see if a VMP tune is really THAT much better.

I only have CAI, full exhaust minus headers and different size wheels that require tune modification, but I haven't had any problems out of it.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
ive had a bama tune for like 3 years now and never had any issues, but after reading all these threads about how bad they are, i'd be curious to see if a VMP tune is really THAT much better.

I only have CAI, full exhaust minus headers and different size wheels that require tune modification, but I haven't had any problems out of it.
I think it depends on when you got it. As with most things there's a time when it's good and then there's the time it went down hill. Maybe they were good when you got them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ponys197

forum member
Reaction score
IMO your money is better spent getting a dyno tune OR buying the software yourself and doing it yourself.

You have a 2012 I would recommend the HP package and if you get it from LaSota you can get a customized base tune to start with from him for your mods. I know you already have a tuner since you have Bama but the HP package for the Coyotes is a bit better than the SCT and the logging is better as well from what I have read and seen.

I tried several of the email tuners - the one thing they are going to do is tune it on the safe side so if you want the best performance - pay for a dyno tune or make the investment and do it yourself.

If you decide to do your own tuning - you might want to make the investment in a wideband as well as i don't think the 2012 had the wideband built into it like the 2013's and up did. You can tune using the narrowband but using the wideband will yield the best results. You can also use the wideband to tune with the email tuners as well.

Either way you guy - dyno or self tuning - its better than email tunes.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I think it depends on when you got it. As with most things there's a time when it's good and then there's the time it went down hill. Maybe they were good when you got them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

This is true, there are always windows of good and bad. Mine's pretty simple too, adjust speedo, turn off o2's b/c no cats and CAI adjustment. I might give another tuner a try, just to see if there is a difference.

IMO your money is better spent getting a dyno tune OR buying the software yourself and doing it yourself.

You have a 2012 I would recommend the HP package and if you get it from LaSota you can get a customized base tune to start with from him for your mods. I know you already have a tuner since you have Bama but the HP package for the Coyotes is a bit better than the SCT and the logging is better as well from what I have read and seen.

I tried several of the email tuners - the one thing they are going to do is tune it on the safe side so if you want the best performance - pay for a dyno tune or make the investment and do it yourself.

If you decide to do your own tuning - you might want to make the investment in a wideband as well as i don't think the 2012 had the wideband built into it like the 2013's and up did. You can tune using the narrowband but using the wideband will yield the best results. You can also use the wideband to tune with the email tuners as well.

Either way you guy - dyno or self tuning - its better than email tunes.

Thank you for the info, i'll look into it. But i'm probably not going to buy another tuner for this car. It's my DD, and besides a shifter or forced induction (which would for sure warrant a dyno tune), i'm done with mods.

Cannot speak for the OP though ... sorry to derail your thread a bit.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score

If it works for you stay with it. You are one of the fortunate ones.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
JDM Engineering does good tuning via email.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

They do indeed, along with Brenspeed.. It's been nearly 2 years since I began running their custom e-mail tune for my Saleen S/C.. Everything checked out fine when I had the tune verified by Rodeheaver's hot rod shop on their dyno..

My air/fuel, spark and timing curves are where they should be and I've had no complaints with the tune whatsoever..

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW, bought my car with a Bama tune on it. Went from the lot straight to a chassis dyno, couldn't add enough fuel through the handheld to make it safe (only had a no tune required K&N and a GT500 TB). From there went to a custom dyno calibration and never turned back.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Drop bama and go to Lito. Bama can't tune for a converter to save their life.

Have you dropped Bama ? According to your signature, they're still listed.. I also agree about their poor tune quality, as they went straight down hill ever since American Muscle acquired the business from original Bamachip's founder Doug Studdard..

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
They do indeed, along with Brenspeed.. It's been nearly 2 years since I began running their custom e-mail tune for my Saleen S/C.. Everything checked out fine when I had the tune verified by Rodeheaver's hot rod shop on their dyno..

My air/fuel, spark and timing curves are where they should be and I've had no complaints with the tune whatsoever..

I'd only run Brand "B" if Bama was my only other option. Little more than a bunch of canned tunes. They don't do email tuning. And what they call dyno tuning is loading a tune on your car and making a pull in my experience with them. E.G. my 2005 setup - Saleen twin screw, their Detroit Rocker cams, LT's, Or Xpipe, 9psi pulley and BAP and their 93 octane tune could only make RWHP in the 460 range. Took it locally when I got back and verified the numbers at S&M Motorsports. Had Adam retune the car after seeing how rich and crappy the datalog was. Made 507RWHP (no changes to the setup) after he was done with a safe tune and the car drove like a dream with no more stalling at stops, etc.

places like Shawn @ AED, Palm Beach Dyno, Lito, VMP, or Lund are actually email tuning your car and interacting with you and your datalogs. Brand "B" doesn't do that (or didn't short of a cold start or stall coming to a stop issue). The others work with you to dial the car in and help you get the most out of the car. If canned tunes is all you want Brand B may be okay. Personally if there is more left on the bone safely I want that extra meat. That's why I run VMP Performance.

Last edited:

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
Have you dropped Bama ? According to your signature, they're still listed.. I also agree about their poor tune quality, as they went straight down hill ever since American Muscle acquired the business from original Bamachip's founder Doug Studdard..

Thanks for letting me know... I'm almost exclusively on Tapatalk so I don't see sigs

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I'd only run Brand "B" if Bama was my only other option. Little more than a bunch of canned tunes. They don't do email tuning. And what they call dyno tuning is loading a tune on your car and making a pull in my experience with them. E.G. my 2005 setup - Saleen twin screw, their Detroit Rocker cams, LT's, Or Xpipe, 9psi pulley and BAP and their 93 octane tune could only make RWHP in the 460 range. Took it locally when I got back and verified the numbers at S&M Motorsports. Had Adam retune the car after seeing how rich and crappy the datalog was. Made 507RWHP (no changes to the setup) after he was done with a safe tune and the car drove like a dream with no more stalling at stops, etc.

places like Shawn @ AED, Palm Beach Dyno, Lito, VMP, or Lund are actually email tuning your car and interacting with you and your datalogs. Brand "B" doesn't do that (or didn't short of a cold start or stall coming to a stop issue). The others work with you to dial the car in and help you get the most out of the car. If canned tunes is all you want Brand B may be okay. Personally if there is more left on the bone safely I want that extra meat. That's why I run VMP Performance.

When you refer to brand B, are you referring to Bama or also Brenspeed and JDM engineering ? To my knowledge, Brenspeed and JDM do not offer remote tuning via datalogging.. Therefore would their e-mail tunes be considered as canned tunes :shrug:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back