Time to replace Ball Joints

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Terry any particular reason you guys don't use the Prothane bushing that already has the metal shell?

Reference post 122 -http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1985410#post1985410

Link please??? The only reason I don't change those bushings is because I'm too lazy to do the flame and cut thing...

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
NOTE: You ONLY need to do these bushings if you are doing some SERIOUS track use (race tires) AND ONLY if your car is a 2005-2010 or 2012-14. The 2011 is cursed with an electronic steering rack that has goofy programming that will fight against these bushings.

Hold the phone...Has it been determined and confirmed that the 2012-Up Mustangs don't have the steering wheel shudder issues previously discussed in other threads when adding a Urethane bushing to the front control arms?

I was under the impression that the Boss$$$ Steering Rack was the only cure for the 2012-Up models who wanted to use a Urethane bushing up in there.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Link please??? The only reason I don't change those bushings is because I'm too lazy to do the flame and cut thing...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ptp-6-220/overview/make/ford/model/mustang

I still had to stab the marshmallow to drain it, but I definitely did not have to torch anything. I alternated between a dremel and a reciprocating saw. I wish I had a cutting wheel. Always the tools man!!!

Seriously though, it was WAY easier than I thought it was gonna be. I did ruin one control arm, but it's not what you are thinking. I put a decent nick in the knurled section or whatever you call the rod that the bushing mounts onto. I started to do the right thing and get my google on to consider using it, but curiosity got the better half of me. I started cutting more on the knurled section to see if it was hollow at any point. Pretty fucking stupid. Kinda reminds me of what people did with witches back in the day: try to drown them and if they don't drown, then they are witches. Like "oh it's not hollow sweet. I could have used that".

Anyway, the job is easy. I'll even give you phone support if you start pussin' out or need an attack plan on the marshmallow.

PS- The knurled section is NOT hollow.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Hold the phone...Has it been determined and confirmed that the 2012-Up Mustangs don't have the steering wheel shudder issues previously discussed in other threads when adding a Urethane bushing to the front control arms?

I was under the impression that the Boss$$$ Steering Rack was the only cure for the 2012-Up models who wanted to use a Urethane bushing up in there.

I heard from Performance Auto that u can replace just one bushing and not have the shudder. That one bushing referred to is the marshmallow. I don't know if that statement is true, but it's worth a follow up to see if it holds true.

Last edited:

Vorshlag-Fair

Official Site Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Terry any particular reason you guys don't use the Prothane bushing that already has the metal shell?

Reference post 122 -http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1985410#post1985410

Changing the shell/bushing mount wasn't legal for multiple SCCA classes. Same with the Whiteline bushing/mounts for the same Front LCA mounts. But yes, it would be an easier install if you didn't have to burn out the stock bushings from those shells if your class allows alternate mounts.

After 4 years of experience with the 2011-2014 GTs and '12-13 Boss302s we have only seen the steering rack "shudder" issue on the 2011 model year GTs. We've now talked to dozens of 2012-14 owners that have changed the front LCA bushings without the issues seen in 2011 models.

claudermilk

Reaction score
After 4 years of experience with the 2011-2014 GTs and '12-13 Boss302s we have only seen the steering rack "shudder" issue on the 2011 model year GTs. We've now talked to dozens of 2012-14 owners that have changed the front LCA bushings without the issues seen in 2011 models.
This is good to hear. Except now something else to add back to the wishlist...

Ivan 5.0

Still learning...
Reaction score

Saweeet!!! Glad I have a 2011 :chainsaw:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Can't the marshmallow just be pressed out with a hydraulic bench press?

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I swapped from Whiteline over to the Howe Racing NASCAR units from Watson Racing. A little PITA to install but not hard. Defiantly worth it! Super easy to replace and not that expensive.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I tried cleaning out that beer can a couple years ago to install prothane bushings and found it to be a major PITA. I just bought new arms.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back