Cranks but dont start

07GT_Vert

Reaction score
I bought a 2007 Gt Auto. It cranks but wont start.Battery was disconnected so no codes. I changed the crank sensor. Car is getting fuel and spark. Have even tried spraying ether in it to see if that my help but nothing. If anyone can help please do.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
How did you check for spark? If it doesn't start even when spraying fluid down the throttle body I'd have to say it's an ignition problem.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

07GT_Vert

Reaction score
I pulled a plug out a watched it fire while the engine was turning over.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
How do you know its getting fuel, are the plugs wet? Another thing to consider is that our cars use drive by wire. Correct me if I'm wrong but they rest in the closed position when off. If this is indeed the case then you are not getting air to the combustion chambers would be my guess.

46addict

Reaction score
The TB blades rest closed but they should be opening slightly to let air in when you crank the car. With the key on/engine off you should hear whining from the TB motor as you press the gas pedal down. That should rule out a stuck/broken TB motor.

Can you confirm fuel is making its way to the rails? Are you listening for the fuel pump whine?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Did the car run when you bought it, or did you purchase it this way?

Was the car purchased all stock or has it been modified in any way?

Does it try to run, or does it just crank with no indication at all of trying to fire?

07GT_Vert

Reaction score
No, the theft light isn't flashing.

Car is 100% stock.

I bought it this way. Sometimes it acts like it wants to start but most of the time it just spins over. They guy i got it from said they was driving it, stopped at the store and it wouldn't restart.

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
ok, check the fuel rail pressure sensor. pull the vacuum line off of it and smell for gasoline.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
No, the theft light isn't flashing.

Car is 100% stock.

I bought it this way. Sometimes it acts like it wants to start but most of the time it just spins over. They guy i got it from said they was driving it, stopped at the store and it wouldn't restart.

Hmmmmmm...spark, air and fuel are present. TB is working. Cranks and tried to start on occasion but fails. Was always stock, or you just bought it that way? How many miles are on it?

I'm thinking mechanical timing issue initially at this point.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
With key in ...'on' position, and eng off..... I see 50 psi on the fuel rail pressure, as indicated on my aeroforce gauges plugged into OBD port. Once started, rail pressure is a constant 40 psi. This is on a 2010 GT, with same 4.6 eng.

46addict

Reaction score
With key in ...'on' position, and eng off..... I see 50 psi on the fuel rail pressure, as indicated on my aeroforce gauges plugged into OBD port. Once started, rail pressure is a constant 40 psi. This is on a 2010 GT, with same 4.6 eng.
Does fuel pressure start to drop if you leave the key on/engine off?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Any sensors that could have died or wiggled their way loose to cause this maybe?

07GT_Vert

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses. Looks like a timming issue. 0-20% compression. I only hope a timming kit will fix it and not have to replace the engine. Gonna check it with with a borescope.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back